looks like a jumper on the bridge.

I'm ok but a few close to me are struggling. My best mate is the worst. He has had problems for years. Get texts/calls daily that worry me. Tiring but what can I do, can't exactly see him or go to the pub.

Dreadful to hear and RIP to both of them who jumped from the bridge and also at Marsden.

2 huge MLF's I know have committed suicide from those places and my own nephew committed suicide aged 26.

As other posters have said, please please call the Samaritans or even ask for help on here. Can remember some guy was in a very bad place and this forum helped to avoid a tragedy.
I'm ok but a few close to me are struggling. My best mate is the worst. He has had problems for years. Get texts/calls daily that worry me. Tiring but what can I do, can't exactly see him or go to the pub.

You can't see him but just by texting and calling him, you're letting him know you're there for him and he's not alone.

Remind him that his family love him and that he can call any number of help lines, not just Samaritans.

I'm not trained in this marra but if you want to PM me privately then I'm happy to help in any small way I can.

Last edited:

That's a situation where I would be prepared to ignore lockdown. It's in place to save lives but if it's going to cost a life, it's worth breaking.

Dreadful to hear and RIP to both of them who jumped from the bridge and also at Marsden.

2 huge MLF's I know have committed suicide from those places and my own nephew committed suicide aged 26.

As other posters have said, please please call the Samaritans or even ask for help on here. Can remember some guy was in a very bad place and this forum helped to avoid a tragedy.

You can't see him but just by texting and calling him, you're letting him know you're there for him and he's not alone.

Remind him that his family love him and that he can call any number of help lines, not just Samaritans.

I'm not trained in this marra but if you want to PM me privately then I'm happy to help in any small way I can.
Thanks mate. Yeah I'm trying, won't go into it to much as he may post on here but phoned him yesterday and it was like he was on another planet.
That's a situation where I would be prepared to ignore lockdown. It's in place to save lives but if it's going to cost a life, it's worth breaking.
I have tried but he is too worried to even go outside, he won't meet me. To be honest my GF has tested positive so it's not an option now anyway.

Last edited:
I tried in 2011. In close proximity - marriage broken, drinking heavily, parents death, off work 'sick', drinking, drinking, drinking more - then a huge loss of cash online gambing and...the fuse ran out. Tablets, coma.. fortunate to survive.

The difficulty for people wanting to help - my shame at what i (thought) id become meant i wouldnt open curtains, wouldnt answer the door or the phone....would creep out in the dark to buy alcohol to remain numb......how the hell could anyone have helped me?

I tried in 2011. In close proximity - marriage broken, drinking heavily, parents death, off work 'sick', drinking, drinking, drinking more - then a huge loss of cash online gambing and...the fuse ran out. Tablets, coma.. fortunate to survive.

The difficulty for people wanting to help - my shame at what i (thought) id become meant i wouldnt open curtains, wouldnt answer the door or the phone....would creep out in the dark to buy alcohol to remain numb......how the hell could anyone have helped me?
You doing ok with things right now mate?

You doing ok with things right now mate?

Up and down mate. Not been the same since tbh. And never truly lost the habit of drinking to cope with problems. Lifelong fight is ongoing......

Bit of a story which MIGHT come out - i had a real problem a few weeks back and i cant have been alone....my independant Chemist couldnt get my prescribed meds. He told me it was an availability issue due to Covid-19 lockdowns.....i eventually found out that was bollocks when in desperation (side effects to just stopping are unpleasant) I called Boots and they issued my scrip no problem. Apparently - suppliers have upped the prices (Sertraline certainly) of certain meds, which now costs more for a pharmacy to buy than they will be reimbursed by the NHS as per contracted price lists when honouring scrips......confronted my local chemist fuming. He fessed up.....the lying, unscrupulous, ****. Dont expect him to lose money but he should have told me truth. Caused me untild grief waiting around listening to his shite for over a week

Imagine if this poor jumper person, or any other person, has done something horrific due to being off meds for this reason - its a national fkin scandal potentially.

99% of the time Its a spur of the moment decision and there is often no way of knowing or from stopping this happening. More often than not its a man thing and a sign of weakness but to the person its the only way to stop a cycle of personal perpetual unhappiness for reasons often unknown to even those nearest and dearest. I suppose for the person its ended some form of mental torture that death gave them release

RIP who ever you were

Depending on tide and other variables you'll hit water at approx 56mph.
Not sure if there is information available but I'd guess its 50/50.

RIP

There's still plenty of charities working across the North East during the pandemic as well as the local NHS initial response service and crisis teams which operate 24/7 - 0303 123 1145 for Sunderland and South Tyneside.

Not to mention all the helpful advice and support on the depression page on here.

Keep talking if you are feeling low.
Keep listening if you are concerned about others; you might never understand how the person feels but having someone listen is a usually a massive relief to a person with such thoughts.

Good post

its not just the speed you hit the water at the bridge from southwick to the town, theres massive rocks either side of the bridge you cant see when the tides in, and as for nets etc you can work on areas to prevent suicide at buildings/structures but if someone is intent on doing it they will find a place, we need to find a way to help people before it gets to that stage but unfortunately with some you have no idea the person is even struggling until its too late,

99% of the time Its a spur of the moment decision and there is often no way of knowing or from stopping this happening. More often than not its a man thing and a sign of weakness but to the person its the only way to stop a cycle of personal perpetual unhappiness for reasons often unknown to even those nearest and dearest. I suppose for the person its ended some form of mental torture that death gave them release

RIP who ever you were

Is that figure of 99pc your opinion or factual?

You have taken a step yourself by using this to off load a little bit of something that was dragging you down into a dark place. Its a small step in the right direction just to vent and open up. For a man to have feelings is not a sign of weakness but strength. Keep it up fella

Up and down mate. Not been the same since tbh. And never truly lost the habit of drinking to cope with problems. Lifelong fight is ongoing......

Bit of a story which MIGHT come out - i had a real problem a few weeks back and i cant have been alone....my independant Chemist couldnt get my prescribed meds. He told me it was an availability issue due to Covid-19 lockdowns.....i eventually found out that was bollocks when in desperation (side effects to just stopping are unpleasant) I called Boots and they issued my scrip no problem. Apparently - suppliers have upped the prices (Sertraline certainly) of certain meds, which now costs more for a pharmacy to buy than they will be reimbursed by the NHS as per contracted price lists when honouring scrips......confronted my local chemist fuming. He fessed up.....the lying, unscrupulous, ****. Dont expect him to lose money but he should have told me truth. Caused me untild grief waiting around listening to his shite for over a week

Imagine if this poor jumper person, or any other person, has done something horrific due to being off meds for this reason - its a national fkin scandal potentially.

Keep fighting it marra. It will pass and there will be brighter days ahead.

As for your story on meds, I've had a similar issue but wasn't aware of the price issues. I've been on citalopram. I didn't feel like they were working for me so about 6 weeks ago I came to an agreement with my doctor to come off them gradually over the next 6 months. Then there was a delay with my next prescription die to the chemist having "delivery problems" so I went 15 days without. When I spoke to my doctor he told me that at this point, I'm better off just stopping them but to expect potential side effects for a further 2 weeks. I've put in a couple of weeks holiday at work just to manage it. So far I've had insomnia to a ridiculously bad level along with headaches, tiredness and aching limbs.

I'm managing it knowing that it will be over soon, but if I've been rushed into a potentially dangerous detox all over profit margin, I'll be absolutely livid.

As for your story on meds, I've had a similar issue but wasn't aware of the price issues. I've been on citalopram. I didn't feel like they were working for me so about 6 weeks ago I came to an agreement with my doctor to come off them gradually over the next 6 months. Then there was a delay with my next prescription die to the chemist having "delivery problems" so I went 15 days without. When I spoke to my doctor he told me that at this point, I'm better off just stopping them but to expect potential side effects for a further 2 weeks. I've put in a couple of weeks holiday at work just to manage it. So far I've had insomnia to a ridiculously bad level along with headaches, tiredness and aching limbs.

I'm managing it knowing that it will be over soon, but if I've been rushed into a potentially dangerous detox all over profit margin, I'll be absolutely livid.

Interesting. Sorry to hear that. I only got to the bottom of it by doing some half arsed Columbo work and being face-to-face pretty confrontational. Bit of a coincidence isn't it.......be well mate.

Is that figure of 99pc your opinion or factual?
I had a freind who had just been diagnosed with motor neurone disease at 44 his son then just 10 yo came home from school and found him hanging from the loft ladder 4 hears later his son did the same thing from the same loft ladder. I dont really or honestly know the percentage but god forbid i ever find myself that low when i have friends who i can confide in and still carry our the act.
its almost like there comes a point of no return

Last edited:
Worked on Newcastle Quayside years ago when there was a spate of jumpers from the tyne and high level bridges.

2 of my co workers saw one guy when they were having tab break.the strangest thing was they said it all happened in slow motion. The guy climbed over railings, stretched his arm and legs like you would for a work out. Then just went.

To get to that state is horrifying. I notice on high level they have a samaritan poster on each column now

What materialised later was his wife viewed CCT footage of him in the town centre purchasing washing line from a market stall the day it happend. His wife had to indergo therapy after their son did the same and the therapy concluded maybe if his dad would have left his reasoning detailed in a letter then maybe the bairn would have not done the same... but again nothing in life is certain especially when exlosed to such a trauma.

i was on that for a bit and changed to citalopram, feel much better for it

If i miss any for a day or so then i starting going dizzy and wobbly, its f***ing scary

Last edited:

Back