looks like a jumper on the bridge.

Fencing has been mentioned many times, the one point which nobody can trump is the argument as the bridges are so well used many people are helped before jumping. (This is very true, trust me on that).
If fencing was put up potential suicides may move to quieter areas which isn’t populated as much.
Maybe this isn't the right thread but if you jump off the bridge are you likely to die?

Not good.
Only a few weeks ago it was hard not to notice the 3 separate floral tribute collections just on the eastern side alone.
Seems to come in spates at times sadly.

Maybe this isn't the right thread but if you jump off the bridge are you likely to die?
Depending on tide and other variables you'll hit water at approx 56mph.
Not sure if there is information available but I'd guess its 50/50.

RIP

There's still plenty of charities working across the North East during the pandemic as well as the local NHS initial response service and crisis teams which operate 24/7 - 0303 123 1145 for Sunderland and South Tyneside.

Not to mention all the helpful advice and support on the depression page on here.

Keep talking if you are feeling low.
Keep listening if you are concerned about others; you might never understand how the person feels but having someone listen is a usually a massive relief to a person with such thoughts.

Last edited:
Theres a documentary on youtube about the suicides at the golden gate bridge. Its mental

It’s tragic, there are 1 to 2 a day that do it or need to be talked down.

You are very unlikely to survive it and even if you survive the impact you are much more likely to drown then in the Wear, but there is also a great documentary on the very few survivors. They have done loads to stop people.

Aye sadly I saw someone hit the deck off the Tyne bridge. Sobered me right up that I cns tell you. Turned out he was the year below me at school.

I was driving under the Tyne Bridge a few years go and heard a thump, someone had landed about 10 yards from my car, just next to the wine bar. I can still remember he had white battered plimsols on, probably converse. I was in shock and just kept driving although he was obviously dead.
It was on Look North that night, he was a student at Newcastle Uni.

Awful news. Please if you feel desperate, contact me who has no experience, other SMB members or the SamarItans.

we really don’t want to have people doing this and this stupid website really can help.

The Samaritans are just fantastic. They would be my first port of call for anyone who needs to talk to someone who is totally outside their network.

Back