Looking for a program to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilSAFC

Striker
Preferably 3 times a week. 45-60 minute sessions. Looking to lose a bit of fat and add muscle. Don't fancy 5x5 as I hate squats and deadlifts.

Preferably 3 times a week. 45-60 minute sessions. Looking to lose a bit of fat and add muscle. Don't fancy 5x5 as I hate squats and deadlifts.
I've just started back to the gym, after previously doing 5x5, but being 40 years old and not in the best shape I was picking up too many injuries with lifting heavy 3 times a week.

I've changed to a 4 day split, 3 x 8-10 reps across 8 exercises each day and finding it much more manageable yet still getting the same satisfaction and the weight is coming off. However they do contain squats and deadlifts, but they're not as heavy as when I was doing 5x5, so putting less risk into my workouts protecting my back a bit more.

Only been on two weeks, and nailing the diet also, which was always my problem losing weight, so far so good.

Going to get some boxing gloves this weekend and add some HIIT bag work at the end of each workout from next week also.

I've just started back to the gym, after previously doing 5x5, but being 40 years old and not in the best shape I was picking up too many injuries with lifting heavy 3 times a week.

I've changed to a 4 day split, 3 x 8-10 reps across 8 exercises each day and finding it much more manageable yet still getting the same satisfaction and the weight is coming off. However they do contain squats and deadlifts, but they're not as heavy as when I was doing 5x5, so putting less risk into my workouts protecting my back a bit more.

Only been on two weeks, and nailing the diet also, which was always my problem losing weight, so far so good.

Going to get some boxing gloves this weekend and add some HIIT bag work at the end of each workout from next week also.
Nice one mate. Yeah deadlifts really hurt my lower back. Maybe a form thing but I feel like I'm going to really hurt myself doing them.

Nice one mate. Yeah deadlifts really hurt my lower back. Maybe a form thing but I feel like I'm going to really hurt myself doing them.
Aim of the 5x5 is going as heavy as possible, lowering weight and upping the reps in the split gives you a little more confidence and maintains form.

Depending on age, you're going to have to warm up properly to avoid the niggles.

Monday

• Dumbbell bench presses 3 x 10
  • Seated dumbbell presses 2 x 10
  • Wide-grip chins 3 x 10
  • Leg presses 3 x 10
  • Glute/ham raises 3 x 15
Wednesday

• Flat-bench flyes 3 x 10
  • Bent-over rows 3 x 10
  • Squats 3 x 10
  • Leg extensions 3 x 12
  • EZ-curl-bar curls 2 x 15
  • Dips 1 x 15-20
Friday

• Incline dumbbell presses 3 x 10
  • Cable rows 3 x 10
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 4 x 8
  • Dumbbell lunges 2 x 15
  • Standing calf raises 3 x 20-25

@Titus @supersesh thoughts on this for someone who's not been training for a year. Will sub deadlifts for summit else.

Monday

• Dumbbell bench presses 3 x 10
  • Seated dumbbell presses 2 x 10
  • Wide-grip chins 3 x 10
  • Leg presses 3 x 10
  • Glute/ham raises 3 x 15
Wednesday

• Flat-bench flyes 3 x 10
  • Bent-over rows 3 x 10
  • Squats 3 x 10
  • Leg extensions 3 x 12
  • EZ-curl-bar curls 2 x 15
  • Dips 1 x 15-20
Friday

• Incline dumbbell presses 3 x 10
  • Cable rows 3 x 10
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 4 x 8
  • Dumbbell lunges 2 x 15
  • Standing calf raises 3 x 20-25

@Titus @supersesh thoughts on this for someone who's not been training for a year. Will sub deadlifts for summit else.

I've been writing a lot of full body 3x per week things recently, I'll send some suggestions later.

Sure you already know this but bodybuilding.com has a huge amount of programs, possibly look for one that isn't plugging the crap out of a supplement range?

cheers mate, hugely appreciated.
Hoy it up on here pip plz if Titus sends them by pm.
I'd be interested in these too like marra.

One that I've had fun with myself post-competition when reducing training days is a modified three-day 5/3/1 type programme:

Session 1:

Squats (Main 5/3/1):
1 x 5 @ 55%
1 x 5 @ 65%
1 x 5+ @ 75%
3 x 5 @ 55%

Incline Dumbell Press (Bench Secondary):
4 x 8-10 (no grinders)

Braced Barbell Row/Dumbell Row:
4 x 8-10

Session 2:

Bench (Main 5/3/1):
1 x 5 @ 55%
1 x 5 @ 65%
1 x 5+ @ 75%
3 x 5 @ 55%

Single-Legged Leg Press (Squat Accessory)
4 x 8-10

Chins:
4 x 6-8

Session 3:

Squat (Light):
3 x 3 @ 55%

Overhead Press (Main 5/3/1):
1 x 5 @ 55%
1 x 5 @ 65%
1 x 5+ @ 75%

Deadlift (Main 5/3/1):
1 x 5 @ 55%
1 x 5 @ 65%
3 x 5 @ 75%

*Add one additional movement per week. I'd probably recommend some hamstring work on Monday and some lateral raises in there, but it depends on the individual, this is a brief outline without individual context applied.

*Next week all 5/3/1 marked movements will go to 1 x 3 @ 60% , 1 x 3 @ 70%, 1 x 3+ @ 80% then 3 x 3 @ 60% (bar press and deadlift where things are laid out slightly different).

*Following week, 1 x 5 @ 65%, 1 x 3 @ 75% and 1 x 1+ @ 85% and then 2 x 5 @ 65%. Again, bar pressing and deadlifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back