long haul flights - how do you get a good deal?

just says that when flights get cancelled or alterations need making etc.. that these third party brokers are a nightmare and not worth the money you save

there's quite a busy travel forum on tripadvisor, usually get good advice on there, and i searched for Opodo and theres hundreds of posts advising not to use them, same as Kiwi, Travelgenio, Opodo etc..

seems that all the advice is hell bent on telling you to book direct.

who did you use?
There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with using opodo or kiwi. Opodo is my go-to and I've used them many times and never had problems. Kiwi I've used and had an issue on one flight: they refunded me next day and were fantastic. Buy from the cheapest site, going direct will always cost you far more.

Last edited by a moderator:

When i booked tickets for australia last year looked at loads of options and.nobody coukd match the expedia prices we got with suberb flight times with etihad.

If they have an aito, abta, atol license

When i booked tickets for australia last year looked at loads of options and.nobody coukd match the expedia prices we got with suberb flight times with etihad.

Just tried them for another Goa flight 20/1/19 - 3/2/19 £40 more expensive than Skyscanner. Although we have used them plenty of times in the past.

And of course you can use Quidco to get some decent cash back to make it even cheaper - ebookers often pay more cashback and are part of same group as Expedia so prices often the same anyway.

If you can wait, which obviously you can, as you are not going for a year, I highly recommend keeping an eye on the fly4free website.

As offers/sales come available from various airlines, they are posted daily.

Also available if you are based in other countries.

Absolutely amazing deals, highly recommend it.

For those with a bit more cash, keep an eye on the flyertalk forum, especially the premium fare deals.
Have seen business class fares from Europe (Stockholm ) I think to Brisbane, for £1,200.
People take positioning flights to Stockholm just to take advantage of this.
Gives about £200 worth of airmiles AND tier points

Also, sign up for the frequent flyer programme when you book a flight, it gives you airmiles, which you can use for flights in the same alliance, for example, fly with BA and get airmiles that you can use on Iberia, JAL, Qatar, Quantas, etc.etc

Also, just being in the ff program gives you less chance of being bumped and more chance of being upgraded.

fly4free have a look

Get 600 tier points p.a and you get free lounge access, priority boarding, seat choice etc for at least a year.
Can't remember exactly, but think the above flight to Oz gives 560 tier points.

Last edited:
I used skyscanner once, picked the cheapest one, and it was a scam company. They got taken off skyscanner after I reported but was a hassle so double check. £600 it was too.

Back