London levy to hit 1m drivers.

Instead of any extra tax, compel everyone to cycle. Cleaner air, less serious accidents, fitter population. Government would lose a lot of tax revenue though, cos cyclists don't pay road tax.

They pay lip service to public health knowing that cars, alcohol, fags and unhealthy food keep the tax take high and people in jobs. Roll on automation and AI which is what will really change things.

But if they've already paid for it, and when more routes are added, making it even more convenient , many will make the jump.
Especially younger people who pay a fortune on insurance

They won't make the jump, they don't use public transport. Young people don't drive anyway.

The bus network runs at a 650 million pound loss as things stand. It's just not feasible to scrap fares and increase service.

Like taxing fuel? The more you use the more you pay?

The issue with the ULEZ and congestion charge is that once you've paid the daily fee you're inclined to make the most of that cost, driving more to justify it. We need to shift to a system that tracks the time spent or miles driven within the zone, so that you can price out unnecessary trips.

All well and good for north London where the tube connections are excellent but much less so for south London where public transport is terrible by comparison, I can't see it improving enough by 2021 to make this ULEZ zone a minor inconvenience.

Fortunately it'll cut off at the south circular meaning driving east to west or west to east is still possible without paying through the nose for the "pleasure".

it'd be amusing if all the delivery drivers and hauliers refused to spend thousands on the latest euro bollocks compliant engines just to have the pleasure of paying to work there.
i reckon it's grind to a halt within a few days.

The “ultra low emission zone” fee of £12.50 a day is expected to raise up to £1.5bn a year compared to the congestion charge which raises £230m. The money raised will go to Transport for London. Almost all petrol and diesel cars built before September 2015 will be afffected.

Good thing?
If it's expected to raise money it would suggest that it's intended to raise money and accepted that it will have no bearing on the volume of traffic

I had two, the only time I missed a car was when I came up north to visit family, that was a bit of a clart on. but other than that, it was never an issue and unlike you, that only has to carry a pen to work, I had power tools and a big fuck off bag of hand tools.

Imagine a tradesman jumping off a bus outside your house carrying all his gear, coming to do some graft for you :lol:

I don’t think it’s that harsh. If you can afford to live in central London, when it takes effect in 2019 you are only talking about buying a 4 year old, or newer car. In 2021 when it’s extended to inner London, it’s a 6 year old car. If you visit once in a while, the 12.50 probably doesn’t matter that much. If the air really is that bad (I don’t know) then it’s probably a good thing. 12.50 a day would price the vast majority of older cars out as you could but/lease something compliant at that cost, assuming you use the car daily. Or just use the public transport.

The congestion charge was all about keeping the plebs off the road so it is easier for the better off. By increasing it they are just creating a more elite elite.

The issue with the ULEZ and congestion charge is that once you've paid the daily fee you're inclined to make the most of that cost, driving more to justify it. We need to shift to a system that tracks the time spent or miles driven within the zone, so that you can price out unnecessary trips.

True, anybody who buys something will always tryto get as much value as you can from it.

Last edited:

Back