London levy to hit 1m drivers.

I Lived in London for 18 years and though I drive, I never owned a car there, no need for one, but this charge won't change anything, except more money for the government, hard to see how they can improve transport in the city it was/is brilliant.

The “ultra low emission zone” fee of £12.50 a day is expected to raise up to £1.5bn a year compared to the congestion charge which raises £230m. The money raised will go to Transport for London. Almost all petrol and diesel cars built before September 2015 will be afffected.

Good thing?
£1.5bn?

Make public transport free then. Then loads of people will not need cars. Solves 2 problems - pollution and congestion - which will, in time, pay for itself!

There are a lot of dinosaurs who want to drive everywhere still and will not use public transport no matter what.

The main issue in London is private hire vehicles, there has been an increase of 60,000 of them over the last four years. TfL need the authority to regulate Uber. It's a massive problem.

fully funded, free public transport is Win Win Win for me

1 - If I've already paid for it in my taxes, you're damned right I'm going to try to get my money's worth out of it
2 - Loads of people will feel the same - Demand for existing and new routes will leap
3 - More routes --> even more people will use it
4 - Loads less cars on the road - removes a ton of CO2 and NOx gasses as well as other nasties from the air - this will save a fortune in other activities to reduce these levels. Also, no more road expansion costs, as road use will plummet

I really think its something we should do in this country.

1 - If I've already paid for it in my taxes, you're damned right I'm going to try to get my money's worth out of it
2 - Loads of people will feel the same - Demand for existing and new routes will leap
4 - Loads less cars on the road - removes a ton of CO2 and NOx gasses as well as other nasties from the air - this will save a fortune in other activities to reduce these levels. Also, no more road expansion costs, as road use will plummet

When you think of the criteria for spending public money you’d think reducing emissions, reducing congestion and improving public health (walking, running and cycling) would make it a no brainer. Seemingly not....the priority seems to be increase taxation on cars and unhealthy food....reactive policy instead of proactive.

The “ultra low emission zone” fee of £12.50 a day is expected to raise up to £1.5bn a year compared to the congestion charge which raises £230m. The money raised will go to Transport for London. Almost all petrol and diesel cars built before September 2015 will be afffected.

Good thing?
Someone has to pay for brexit, expect more and more of this.

People who drive can already afford public transport, making it free wouldn't do much imo.

I Lived in London for 18 years and though I drive, I never owned a car there, no need for one, but this charge won't change anything, except more money for the government, hard to see how they can improve transport in the city it was/is brilliant.
Pretty myopic. Did you have a child in London?

Crammed 4 to a room in illegal HMO's or paying £500 to live in someones cupboard under the stairs

Eee, that brings back childhood memories.

As long as it benefits those that pay it, i see no problem. Just another tax though. Air quality should gradually improve anyway, now that Deisel cars are being phased out. Keep on top of the polution problem and we (London) won't end up like cities Los Angeles, Beijing, and some of the big Indian cities that have smog problems.

Instead of any extra tax, compel everyone to cycle. Cleaner air, less serious accidents, fitter population. Government would lose a lot of tax revenue though, cos cyclists don't pay road tax.

People who drive can already afford public transport, making it free wouldn't do much imo.
But if they've already paid for it, and when more routes are added, making it even more convenient , many will make the jump.
Especially younger people who pay a fortune on insurance

Back