London Climate Disruption

I thought the point of protesting was because they cared deeply about the environment.

I don’t know. I’m not one of them.

I’m still not sure why we’re at a point where someone can’t stand up for the environment unless they 100% live a totally green lifestyle. Is it possible for anyone in this day and age?

A goal of theirs is surely to put pressure on the government as we need massive political change to enable people to live ‘green lifestyles’. It’s literally acknowledging that it’s very difficult for everyone currently.

I don’t know. I’m not one of them.

I’m still not sure why we’re at a point where someone can’t stand up for the environment unless they 100% live a totally green lifestyle. Is it possible for anyone in this day and age?

A goal of theirs is surely to put pressure on the government as we need massive political change to enable people to live ‘green lifestyles’. It’s literally acknowledging that it’s very difficult for everyone currently.
I get people can't lead a totally green lifestyle that's why people need to acknowledge the government can only do so much in a certain time.

Or per
So an actress flying somewhere and a person getting a taxi?

There’s a clip from Have I Got News For You of Louise Mensch criticising the Occupy protestors for having coffee from a major American company. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the hypocrisy point.

All the pissing and whingeing I see on here comes across as deflection.

The protestors won’t be perfect and some might be misinformed about their own lifestyles, and their method of protest might rankle with some. It doesn’t detract from the fact they’ve shone a light on a massive, massive issue. It’s made a lot of people feel incredibly uncomfortable - it’s obvious from the reactions you see.
Do you genuinely believe that nobody knew about climate change and the impact humanity is having on the planet? It’s only been major news for years now.....

So do I but unless you're prepared to have a lifestyle where you consume less it's not really helping

And maybe they are. We keep going back to this point but they may do loads in many aspects of their lives, to varying levels, whilst not being perfect. Why should that preclude them from applying pressure on the government to make it easier for everyone?

Or per

Do you genuinely believe that nobody knew about climate change and the impact humanity is having on the planet? It’s only been major news for years now.....

No, and I haven’t said that so let’s not put words in my mouth.

I do believe that a lot of people won’t be fully aware of the severity of the issue and the actual rate of change we’re likely to require to avert some very serious issues.

Last edited:
A green lifestyle right now means going back to pre-industrial revolution times. It’s a pipe dream.
The protesters seem to want this, want that, but have no answers themselves.

We’re reliant on fossil fuels right now. I don’t know how working class people can reduce their personal carbon footprint any further. Do these protesters think we all just piss away expensive electricity, gas and petrol or diesel for shits and giggles? I don’t know anyone who wastes these resources, mainly because they’re bloody expensive.

I’ve got LED lights throughout the house, a combi boiler, hardly use any form of heating most of the year, drive less than 3000 miles a year, have a well insulated house etc. WTF else do they want me to do about climate change? I’ve also got front and rear gardens with four mature trees mopping up CO2.

They’re inconveniencing the wrong people, but they don’t care or are too thick to realise. Fuck them.

Clueless & cult like, pretty disturbing to be honest.

I do believe that a lot of people won’t be fully aware of the severity of the issue and the actual rate of change we’re likely to require to avert some very serious issues.

So you think, under the circumstances portrayed e.g. we'll all die in 12 years, that this actually didn't require, like say about 100 years notice? Things are going to get a bit mental but it is out of our control.

Last edited:
Clueless & cult like, pretty disturbing to be honest.

So you think, under the circumstances portrayed e.g. we'll all die in 12 years, that this actually didn't require, like say about 100 years notice? Things are going to get a bit mental but it is out of our control.

What an awful piece of video footage attempted to pass off as journalism

So an actress flying somewhere and a person getting a taxi?

There’s a clip from Have I Got News For You of Louise Mensch criticising the Occupy protestors for having coffee from a major American company. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the hypocrisy point.

All the pissing and whingeing I see on here comes across as deflection.

The protestors won’t be perfect and some might be misinformed about their own lifestyles, and their method of protest might rankle with some. It doesn’t detract from the fact they’ve shone a light on a massive, massive issue. It’s made a lot of people feel incredibly uncomfortable - it’s obvious from the reactions you see.

How am I supposed to audit the lifestyles of the protestors? You asked for examples, I gave you three.

I don’t feel uncomfortable at all, the UK has made great strides when it comes to reducing our carbon footprint and that will only continue to fall in the coming years.

They’ve shone a light on a massive issue in China, USA and Russia which I was already aware of thanks, not sure what you expect me to do about China’s carbon footprint?

How am I supposed to audit the lifestyles of the protestors? You asked for examples, I gave you three.

I don’t feel uncomfortable at all, the UK has made great strides when it comes to reducing our carbon footprint and that will only continue to fall in the coming years.

They’ve shone a light on a massive issue in China, USA and Russia which I was already aware of thanks, not sure what you expect me to do about China’s carbon footprint?

Can you point out where I asked for examples? You appear to have decided to come out with them. Coming up with three for all the protestors, one of which appears to be totally meaningless.

Can you point out where I asked for examples? You appear to have decided to come out with them. Coming up with three for all the protestors, one of which appears to be totally meaningless.

You asked @pillars of hercules if he had reviewed the lifestyles of any of the protestors.

I didn’t say the three applied to all, I said it would be impossible to review all of them. Which one is meaningless?

And maybe they are. We keep going back to this point but they may do loads in many aspects of their lives, to varying levels, whilst not being perfect. Why should that preclude them from applying pressure on the government to make it easier for everyone?

No, and I haven’t said that so let’s not put words in my mouth.

I agree that urgent change is required but there is sizeable change being made. We can’t ban cars overnight, we can’t stop burning fossil fuels overnight. Change takes time and the current timescales set out, whether quick enough or not, are realistic and doable.

I agree that urgent change is required but there is sizeable change being made. We can’t ban cars overnight, we can’t stop burning fossil fuels overnight. Change takes time and the current timescales set out, whether quick enough or not, are realistic and doable.
I do think the country as a whole needs to change it's long term environmental strategy to make us carbon neutral but it would require absolutely huge infrastructure investment. I imagine some of the things I would propose would be hugely unpopular with many people. I would:
  • Invest massively in fracking for 10 years
  • Build massive haulage depots in every region similar to container ports
  • Release wolves and lynx into selected remote areas then plant trees
  • Massively expand public transport infrastructure like the Metro
  • Build several new towns in the UK with ground/air source heat pumps and solar required in planning
I would ring fence all revenue we receive from fracking to pay towards the infrastructure investment.

Back