Logan Pye

Not of the U18 group have gone to other clubs. Movement was all from younger age groups.(Luca always played up an age group at SAFC)

Yes.
They could have spoke to him before they let Liverpool approach.
Give their side first.
Ask those around him who coached him for the past 7years for their thoughts.

Just a couple of questions, again appreciate if you don't want to answer them.

Before the official approach was made and initial contact, do you hear of any potential interest from clubs? Word of mouth etc. Assume people from another club speaking to players/parents isnt allowed until access granted.
If you did hear about rumors etc, and the club rejected the approach to speak to the player, is there anything legally stopping you from leaving and joining the club anyway?

I think a lot of people are confused as to what can happen and what has happened.

Either way I think from what we know, the club could still do a lot more to try and persuade a player to stop, however in reality if a player thinks its in their best interests to move then the club can't legally stand in their way. This 'offering players out' I see being mentioned, assume it's due to the club deep down knowing a player is likely to move on so try and get a better fee for them?

I'm fairly sure we've talked about the top 6 clubs poaching our academy players for the last 10 years.

It's just going to be more common when we're league 1, only solution it getting the first team moving back up the leagues.

This doesn't make any sense even for someone looking for short term gain, we get pennies in compensation for these players so genuinely find it very hard to believe that we are actively trying to move our better youth players on, even a club in administration wouldn't do this.

So much for emulating the Dortmund model.

if I recall correctly Manure under Ferguson used to always have an academy product on the bench every game. Why we aren’t doing the same in this tin pot league eludes me. Doing so especially down here visibly shows a pathway for the kids to attempt to break through.

Thank You.

I have said on many other posts, I’m not saying refusing the approach is the right thing to do either...
I was just always against the fact they gloss over the actual rule book when talking about this issue & try to sound it out in their favour.
I just wanted an honest response so people weren’t mislead.
If they have the facts they can make their own mind up as to what’s happening.
Sent you a PM

Thank You.

I have said on many other posts, I’m not saying refusing the approach is the right thing to do either...
I was just always against the fact they gloss over the actual rule book when talking about this issue & try to sound it out in their favour.
I just wanted an honest response so people weren’t mislead.
If they have the facts they can make their own mind up as to what’s happening.
Good luck to him. I worked with a couple of his/your relatives (DL/JL) and often enquired with them as to how he was getting on after seeing his name mentioned on here. Shame we can't keep him but I wish him all the best

So much for emulating the Dortmund model.

if I recall correctly Manure under Ferguson used to always have an academy product on the bench every game. Why we aren’t doing the same in this tin pot league eludes me. Doing so especially down here visibly shows a pathway for the kids to attempt to break through.
They've had an academy player in their match day squad for the last 81 years

Nope.....academy has failed, how did Egan and Hourinhane slip through the net?

Nor I didn't I said bus loads left the NE? Where was our scouting system/brilliant youth set up then?
See you're doing exactly what I said. Are you happy for the next people having a go at sorting the academy to fail because people before them did? Do they not take responsibility for improving it?

Just a couple of questions, again appreciate if you don't want to answer them.

Before the official approach was made and initial contact, do you hear of any potential interest from clubs? Word of mouth etc. Assume people from another club speaking to players/parents isnt allowed until access granted.
If you did hear about rumors etc, and the club rejected the approach to speak to the player, is there anything legally stopping you from leaving and joining the club anyway?

I think a lot of people are confused as to what can happen and what has happened.

Either way I think from what we know, the club could still do a lot more to try and persuade a player to stop, however in reality if a player thinks its in their best interests to move then the club can't legally stand in their way. This 'offering players out' I see being mentioned, assume it's due to the club deep down knowing a player is likely to move on so try and get a better fee for them?
That’s correct, they can’t approach directly, have to come via holding club.
Legally you can’t just walk away.
If SAFC didn’t want to go along with it, it would have had to go to a tribunal if you felt strong enough to go.
Even when they are ok with it, it’s not as clean & simple as that, still a lot of legal steps to follow. Don’t think people realise.
I’ve no idea in ‘offering out’ I’ve never said this happened in our case..
Good luck to him. I worked with a couple of his/your relatives (DL/JL) and often enquired with them as to how he was getting on after seeing his name mentioned on here. Shame we can't keep him but I wish him all the best

Not sure who DL or JL is but Thank You.

Last edited:
That’s correct, they can’t approach directly, have to come via holding club.
Legally you can’t just walk away.
If SAFC didn’t want to go along with it, it would have had to go to a tribunal if you felt strong enough to go.
Even when they are ok with it, it’s not as clean & simple as that, still a lot of legal steps to follow. Don’t think people realise.
I’ve no idea in ‘offering out’ I’ve never said this happened in our case..
Appreciate that, yeah sounds more complicated than most of us would realise until your in that situation. Hopefully they'll sort their act out so that its less likely to happen in future and our club can be more supportive and offer just a good a chance of making a player than other clubs. All the best to your kid, fingers crossed he'll be back at sunderland one day helping us win something :lol:

In the ‘now’ and probably the short term it won’t be classed as worth it as people playing in the upper ages of the academy are not likely to get into our first team in L1 never mind championship should we go up. This is mostly down to the relegations and been in L1.

The academy has been kept on for the potential long term benefits. Look at the younger age groups at the academy, all doing well. If SD just wanted to asset strip the academy would have been an obvious place to save a shit load of money but they have kept it running and fund it as a cat 1 as he knows it’s best for the club in the long term!
I think you’re right on this one. I’m firmly in the SD out camp but he’s probably not guilty here.

See you're doing exactly what I said. Are you happy for the next people having a go at sorting the academy to fail because people before them did? Do they not take responsibility for improving it?

Rome wasn't built in a day Rocko, 60 years of failure addressed overnight?
We'll nivva knaa if there were any long term plans now will we, the fans groups have been appeased......

Rome wasn't built in a day Rocko, 60 years of failure addressed overnight?
We'll nivva knaa if there were any long term plans now will we, the fans groups have been appeased......
It's not 60 year of failure, stop making excuses for continued mistakes. There is no long term plan in anything he has done, open your eyes man. It's all built on sand. Wake up Mary

You think a PL Sunderland would be more attractive than Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, City et al?
possibly

we just signed a lad who scored over 40 goals for Man United under 18's last year, they desperately wanted to keep him but he felt he has a better chance of breaking onto the first team sooner with us

Back