Logan Pye

Yes there is. You can try and convince them that their future is here. You try and convince their parents that it would be better for their son to stay here. Instead we just that the money and use the 'there's nothing we can do' line. The worrying thing is that so many young players are leaving and joining better clubs. It's not for financial reasons as they won't be on big money and the parents will be out of pocket. And if they are being poached, why aren't we reporting them?
And it's all hearsay that the club aren't doing all they can. There are stories emerging that the parents have said they're even being touted around, yet other people who have kids there are saying different.

It's basically a load of chinese whispers, the only thing we do know for certain is we have no chance of competing against those clubs, that is a fact, so people should stop using it as another stick to beat the club with.

If the parents didn't want their kid to go, then they simply wouldn't, but what parent would tell their kid, no, you can't go and sign for Man U!

How can he be offered a 5 year contract by man United then?

You can offer a longer contract (3 years) at 15, 16... i think. Then the wage/pro contract kicks in at 17.

Perhaps im wrong but I didn't think you could give a 15 year old a 5 year deal.
This...We are in the same boat as 100% of other clubs outside of the Premier league...

100% of the clubs outside the premier league do not have a Cat 1 Academy.

Last edited:
You can offer a longer contract (3 years) at 15, 16... i think. Then the wage/pro contract kicks in at 17.

Do you not think Man U would be promising him £10K a week or so once he hits 17? Something we could never compete with, we'd be offering players like that £1K if they were exceptional.

Cat1 or not, we're a league one club and whilst that remains we will continue to lose our better players. It's just how shit football has become.

also i'm sure clubs like Boro, Forest, Sheff wed have aCat 1 academy also? I could be wrong though.

Do you not think Man U would be promising him £10K a week or so once he hits 17? Something we could never compete with, we'd be offering players like that £1K if they were exceptional.

Cat1 or not, we're a league one club and whilst that remains we will continue to lose our better players. It's just how shit football has become.

No, I dont think they would be offering him 10k, I think they would be offering closer to 1k until they were 18. United and co hoover these players up at 10 a penny, this is something that should be used to our advantage.

If we aligned all aspects of the club and changed our focus I believe we would have a better chance to keep these types of players. I cant say for sure but based on what I've read and heard from those involved they are letting the club down.

The Birmingham kid isn't 15, he's 17 in June, so effectively in the last 6 months of his junior contract. I think the 30 million offer is for him when he's 17, and subject to him staying at Birmingham for another 18 months loanback. there's probably loads of conditions attatched to the offer, but of course the press will always just sensationalise it to fit their headline. ( I don't know this for a fact, just what I've read )
I know some of our academy lads get a bit pissed off when they come up against young players from other clubs who are the same age, yet already have boot deals ( ours buy their own) car deals and other sponsorships , which they obviously talk about among themselves. we really are a poor relation, and its clear that young impressionable kids will be swayed by the promise of better conditions at other clubs. you can't change that without hoying money around, so its not going to change here for the foreseeable future. All we can do is produce good young talented players, try to keep them here, and if we can't we need to get as much compensation for them as possible.

The Birmingham kid isn't 15, he's 17 in June, so effectively in the last 6 months of his junior contract. I think the 30 million offer is for him when he's 17, and subject to him staying at Birmingham for another 18 months loanback. there's probably loads of conditions attatched to the offer, but of course the press will always just sensationalise it to fit their headline. ( I don't know this for a fact, just what I've read )
I know some of our academy lads get a bit pissed off when they come up against young players from other clubs who are the same age, yet already have boot deals ( ours buy their own) car deals and other sponsorships , which they obviously talk about among themselves. we really are a poor relation, and its clear that young impressionable kids will be swayed by the promise of better conditions at other clubs. you can't change that without hoying money around, so its not going to change here for the foreseeable future. All we can do is produce good young talented players, try to keep them here, and if we can't we need to get as much compensation for them as possible.

Thought the poster was talking about Pye rather than Bellingham, what you said of him makes sense. You can guarantee that the big boys were after him from a younger age however Birmingham have kept him at the club till he will is 17 and will presumably reap the benefits from doing so.

It's just the effort and intention of keeping them here that is in question. There is certainly stuff to indicate it isn't even at an acceptable level let alone doing all we can.

Before 17 his wages will be standardised I believe. He wouldn't command wages that in any way compare to McGeady, Leadbitter or Grigg at Man Utd or otherwise.

I think folk may be kicking off because of the perception that they appear happy to sell our better youth players rather than fight to keep them as was the case with one or two lads that have already gone.
Problem is there are ways of paying him more. For instance a massive signing on fee when he is 17. Then the wages will be a hell of a lot higher than we can pay. A 3 year pro contract at a top club will dwarf what we could possibly offer him as you could have a 17 year old earning more than 1st team we and he may not even be involved in 1st team. This will be a recurring theme until we get into the PL again and have the money to offer better contracts. Cue the usual replies that we are actively touting these players etc...... We may be which is totally wrong. But the economics and attractiveness of being League 1 are clear on this issue

Problem is there are ways of paying him more. For instance a massive signing on fee when he is 17. Then the wages will be a hell of a lot higher than we can pay. A 3 year pro contract at a top club will dwarf what we could possibly offer him as you could have a 17 year old earning more than 1st team we and he may not even be involved in 1st team. This will be a recurring theme until we get into the PL again and have the money to offer better contracts. Cue the usual replies that we are actively touting these players etc...... We may be which is totally wrong. But the economics and attractiveness of being League 1 are clear on this issue

Your average 17 year old doesnt earn more than our first team regardless of being at man utd or otherwise. It's simply not the case. There will be special cases but anyone bought from league one for less than half a million are not those cases.

Your average 17 year old doesnt earn more than our first team regardless of being at man utd or otherwise. It's simply not the case. There will be special cases but anyone bought from league one for less than half a million are not those cases.
Think you will be surprised how little some of ours are on. I can tell you now that 17yeat olds at these top clubs will be on thousands per week. I knew a lad at Man Utd in the late 90’s who at 17 got pro contract and was on £750 week with a chunky signing on fee. Never made it there but played pro elsewhere and eventually played in PL. By the time they are 20 they will probably have earned at least half a million without any increases in today’s climate. Throw in sponsorship/boot deals etc and this will dwarf absolutely anything we can offer. Plus we are League 1 with no guarantees of going up. Why would the most talented players want to stay given both those circumstances?
You also need to realise they aren’t signing League 1 players. They are signing England Youth internationals who other clubs are desperate to get their hands on. Therefore they are a premium that’s worth paying as down the line they will either play for 1st team or they will get some money back or even a profit in transfer fee.

Last edited:
Think you will be surprised how little some of ours are on. I can tell you now that 17yeat olds at these top clubs will be on thousands per week. I knew a lad at Man Utd in the late 90’s who at 17 got pro contract and was on £750 week with a chunky signing on fee. Never made it there but played pro elsewhere and eventually played in PL. By the time they are 20 they will probably have earned at least half a million without any increases in today’s climate. Throw in sponsorship/boot deals etc and this will dwarf absolutely anything we can offer. Plus we are League 1 with no guarantees of going up. Why would the most talented players want to stay given both those circumstances?

You also need to realise they aren’t signing League 1 players. They are signing England Youth internationals who other clubs are desperate to get their hands on. Therefore they are a premium that’s worth paying as down the line they will either play for 1st team or they will get some money back or even a profit in transfer fee.

So we're changing the goalposts now with a side of condescension?

If hes that good, why have the club been touting him around and why has it taken nearly a year for a top side to sign him?
He plays for England 2 levels above, but aye he’s not that good Utd have just splashed 6 figures on him... probs been assessing his options

He plays for England 2 levels above, but aye he’s not that good Utd have just splashed 6 figures on him... probs been assessing his options

I didnt say he wasnt good, I was asking why a club would need to tout a player in the first place?....surely he'd have been on the radar of these clubs anyway?

Back