Logan Pye

I get your point. I meant the training etc. But are they not as bad cause the good players have went elsewhere?

Not of the U18 group have gone to other clubs. Movement was all from younger age groups.(Luca always played up an age group at SAFC)
Sorry to push the point but could SAFC have done more to keep your son. I 100% respect what you saying with regard the decision making - with your children you always make a judgement call with your kids best interests at heart. Equally I am not asking you do bad mouth the club but if Sunderland aren't handling its academy students very well then that is a major concerns as there is clearly quite a lot of talent coming through.

Yes.
They could have spoke to him before they let Liverpool approach.
Give their side first.
Ask those around him who coached him for the past 7years for their thoughts.

Last edited:
mumba has regressed massively, apparently, and is even further away from first team football. That’s how bad the set up is. He’s been played at RB and had been terrible

I’m seriously worried about posters mental health on here, how many times do they have to be told THE CLUB CAN REFUSE THEM PERMISSION TO SPEAK TO THE PLAYER AND HIS PARENTS AND THERE IS FUCK ALL THE BUYING CLUB CAN DO ABOUT IT

I see your point but I would counter with we’re both Cat 1 and they have a much easier route to first team football with us. We also have a track record of developing our own and other teams players and selling on to top clubs.
No they can't refuse ffs

Not of the U18 group have gone to other clubs. Movement was all from younger age groups.(Luca always played up an age group at SAFC)

Yes.
They could have spoke to him before they let Liverpool approach.
Give their side first.
Ask those around him who coached him for the past 7years for their thoughts.
Thanks for your responses. From a Sunderland point of view that is utterly terrible and unacceptable and very worrying. Good luck to the lad - I'm sure we will all follow his career and wish him well.

Great insight into what happened to your lad and the lack of effort from the club to keep him. Unfortunately the pro Donald brigade will gloss over your facts and responses that paints the owner in a bad light . Good luck to your lad

Thank You.

I have said on many other posts, I’m not saying refusing the approach is the right thing to do either...
I was just always against the fact they gloss over the actual rule book when talking about this issue & try to sound it out in their favour.
I just wanted an honest response so people weren’t mislead.
If they have the facts they can make their own mind up as to what’s happening.

They can encourage the kids to stay. If the academy is well run and a happy environment then they will stay. I'd imagine most parents would prefer them to stay rather move to the other end of the country.
They will of tried to encouraged him to stay, but you will find it hard to keep any player when clubs like that come in or them
Unless your 1 of the coaches you dont. My mates son is at the academy and these stories coming out about stuff going on he's never heard anything about it

Last edited:
Doesn't appear a Jack Ross problem to me. From what I have read, he seems interested and involved with the youths.

The remit he has been given for better or worse is to get promoted, this is sometimes at odds with club development imo.
The current owners don't see beyond the first team and finances. Many of our fans seem to see it that way.

Klopp (ex Borussia Dortmund Head Coach) sees the whole club. It's just as important to have an input into your youth teams as well as your first team. You need to be pulling in the one direction. This is part of the model Dortmund have put in place. But despite claims by Charlie we aren't doing that. It's just the first team and balance the books.

They can if the kid wants to leave because 1) the academy standards have slipped and 2) the player was hawked around until a buyer was found

We produced more of the semi final England team than any other academy with the exception of Sheff Utd.

we’ve produced countless players that have played in the top two tiers over the years. Look at Hourihan and Egan as examples.

Yes the players were released too soon but our academy used to be f***ing brilliant

Southampton kept them until they got first team football then sold them for tens of millions of pounds. Can’t believe yuve just said that. What a weird post
Only because they played them in the first team at 16 years old. Would you play this lad in the first team now to stop him going to man utd??? It's not weird at all, Southampton were blessed with a diamond in ox, soneone who could play in the first team at that age, and bale in the championship.

They will of tried to encouraged him to stay, but you will find it hard to keep any player when clubs like that come in or them

Unless your 1 of the coaches you dont. My mates son is at the academy and these stories coming out about stuff going on he's never heard anything about it
:lol:
Yes I'll ignore what the people/coaches who I know personally tell me. You're touched

Back