Logan Pye

Problem is, when Liverpool and Man U come along, the kids get starstruck and the parents see £ signs. Trying to convince them their chances would be better staying put would be like talking to a wall.
Or parents she the state of our academy and see Liverpool or Man Utd as a better option for their kid rather staying with a club who don't seem to care. It's not all about money. Parents are often out of pocket with deals like this. This is another bullshit lie from Stewart Donald.

My comment on not meeting the academy director was in response to being asked if I had a problem with the running of the club. My point was the take over had just happened, hadn’t even met the bloke.
But having said that, yes, I would have expected my son to have met him (Not me) as the new director, regardless of whether there was anyone interested or not, but when there was interest, of course I’d have expected it, given he didn’t know my son he would/should have asked some questions.

Yes they could have told Liverpool contact is denied. And we would have been none the wiser. It had happened previously.

I didn't know they could deny contact. I always assumed the club had no say. The fact they allow contact tells me they wanted the money for the players leaving. To then come out and say on podcasts the player wanted to go and wasn't under contract so couldnt stop him, another lie. I for one believed it!

Has I have said elsewhere it the what angers and saddens me the most about the club at the moment. I would love to see a team with as many young lads from the academy in it. That's the players that you really get a buzz to see do well. The fact we have had so many leave is sickening.

We got £2M for Asoro and maybe £1.5M for Maja - that is not minimal for players we got free and for minimal fees. Bear in mind we did the same to a Swedish club for Asoro as what is being done to us. The confusing point is what you say above - we can demand compensation and deny Man Utd access to Pye - if that is the case why are Birmingham holding out for £30M and we're not?

The lad concerned is a tiny bit older - and has been upgraded to a pre-contract. Essentially, he's got a piece of paper that says he will be offered a contract on his 17th birthday, We did the same thing with Mumba, as I recall. That gives Birmingham the same right to a transfer fee as if he'd already signed the contract. As I understand it, Pye isn't old enough yet.

Despite the waffle on a recent podcast the academy isn't in great shape. All our better young players are openly available for a move and some extra cash for the club. I don't blame Paul Reid either.
The more you understand of this situation the more it reeks of the owners not even being remotely suitable to run a club like this. Losing our best kids for peanuts is going to cause long term damage to the club.

But people are just buying the line that theres nothing we can do because we're a league 1 club. There clearly is things we can and should be doing better to keep hold of these kids.

Or parents she the state of our academy and see Liverpool or Man Utd as a better option for their kid rather staying with a club who don't seem to care. It's not all about money. Parents are often out of pocket with deals like this. This is another bullshit lie from Stewart Donald.
At last. Someone not dreaming up million £ houses and sports cars on the drive.
Reality is it’s bloody hard. But a sacrifice hopefully that pays off.

People might blame SD for many things but there is nothing they can do if the parents of a kid want to take him to different club
Maybe go all out to get us out of this league and into the one above, stabilise us there, then build a team for a promotion push. Or if he can’t or doesn’t have the wherewithal to do it then sell the club to someone who does. As you correctly say we can’t prevent youngsters from leaving but we can certainly do better at making the academy a more attractive proposition. All it seems we are doing just now is scouting youngsters for other clubs. It’s incredibly frustrating.

So many have left since Donald has come in. The fact they are very happy to offer and tout our best players about to receive minimal compensation is a disgrace. Sure good old GED MC is back on the scene too. Absolute jobs for the boys.

Are they touting them about? Is it fact or a rumour?

Maybe go all out to get us out of this league and into the one above, stabilise us there, then build a team for a promotion push. Or if he can’t or doesn’t have the wherewithal to do it then sell the club to someone who does. As you correctly say we can’t prevent youngsters from leaving but we can certainly do better at making the academy a more attractive proposition. All it seems we are doing just now is scouting youngsters for other clubs. It’s incredibly frustrating.
The only way you can stop young players for leaving to clubs like Liverpool and man Utd is be as successful as them and that isn't going to happen and has never happened
mumba has regressed massively, apparently, and is even further away from first team football. That’s how bad the set up is. He’s been played at RB and had been terrible

I’m seriously worried about posters mental health on here, how many times do they have to be told THE CLUB CAN REFUSE THEM PERMISSION TO SPEAK TO THE PLAYER AND HIS PARENTS AND THERE IS FUCK ALL THE BUYING CLUB CAN DO ABOUT IT

I see your point but I would counter with we’re both Cat 1 and they have a much easier route to first team football with us. We also have a track record of developing our own and other teams players and selling on to top clubs.
Doesn't matter when clubs like Liverpool and manutd come calling there's nothing many clubs can do about it

Last edited:
At last. Someone not dreaming up million £ houses and sports cars on the drive.
Reality is it’s bloody hard. But a sacrifice hopefully that pays off.

For a lot of these kids it doesn't and the parents have spent a few years of their lives and the kids at matches and travelling etc. Obviously if he makes it big then fantastic for him and hopefully he repays you 😂.

You dont have to answer but would you say his development has improved at Liverpool or would he have been the same here?

The only way you can stop young players for leaving to clubs like Liverpool and man Utd is be as successful as them and that isn't going to happen and has never happened

why are people deliberately ignoring the fact we can just refuse the clubs permission to talk to the player?

are people really that entrenched in their agenda?

There was no way of knowing at the time if the decision was the correct one, as a family you have to make the call & deal with the consequences, luckily for us it turned out to be 100% the right decision.
And has proven to be given the exit of others after him, sure there’ll be more too.
Not to mention some key staff members also now gone.
Out of curiosity do you and your family see Luca as having a first team future where he currently is. If so then i'm happy for you as i'm sure most of this board is. Apolgies in advance for this question, In what way has it been 100$ the right decisions?

Obviousy from what you're saying the club could have refused contact yet they didn't. Would it be fair to assume that you could have refused the contact as well?

The reason i ask this is as you mentioned a new regime had just taken over and no one knew what the future looked like at the time (hindsight is a wonderful thing after all). Given that you have stated that Luca remains a Sunderland fan why did you not rebuke the approach? If you felt that moving gave Luca a better chance of progressing is it at all possible that those looking after SAFC felt the same?

Your B/S about this fantastic, production line academy....its produced 2 players we got proppa fees for....even in the Prem....they left.
That doesn't tell the whole story marra. We got fees for players like Waghorn as well. Egan and Hourihane are academy graduates, as were Colback, Gorrin and Asoro for example. Plus we still have Gooch and Hume here. The point is that the academy has produced quite a few lads who've gone on to have decent careers in the game, so it has a great record of producing professional footballers. Our ability to secure transfer fees for them or embed them in to the first team isn't really in the academy's remit.

why are people deliberately ignoring the fact we can just refuse the clubs permission to talk to the player?

are people really that entrenched in their agenda?

Aye 'cos that would be the end of the matter eh?
That doesn't tell the whole story marra. We got fees for players like Waghorn as well. Egan and Hourihane are academy graduates, as were Colback, Gorrin and Asoro for example. Plus we still have Gooch and Hume here. The point is that the academy has produced quite a few lads who've gone on to have decent careers in the game, so it has a great record of producing professional footballers. Our ability to secure transfer fees for them or embed them in to the first team isn't really in the academy's remit.

The point is, it's been dysfunctional long before the Don got here, his priority was stabilizing the klerb and sorting the forst team....yep big bullshitta, yep he's fooked up....but the burn the witch mob knaa best....

Last edited:
For a lot of these kids it doesn't and the parents have spent a few years of their lives and the kids at matches and travelling etc. Obviously if he makes it big then fantastic for him and hopefully he repays you 😂.

You dont have to answer but would you say his development has improved at Liverpool or would he have been the same here?
I don’t see how being part of the U18s at the moment would have helped him at all. But who knows!

Doesn't matter when clubs like Liverpool and manutd come calling there's nothing many clubs can do about it
Liverpool and Man u. Probably yes, although I’m not sure if the club can refuse permission to contact these kids, however that’s not really the point. We don’t know how many kids wouldn’t entertain coming to our academy now whereas they may have done before.
Or how many may have stayed given they have more chance of playing games for us than top premier league teams. Maybe they went there knowing that they probably wouldn’t make it there but they’d be coached better.
maybe kids have been leaving us like this for years and it’s only now someone is shining a spotlight on it. Given the results over the last couple of years it seems that all is not well there, at least from the outside looking in.

So you’re saying that both the club and the player have acted illegally then?

They literally can. Read the rules for fucks sake.

Rules 296-299 specifically state that a club cannot directly or indirectly approach an academy player.

They can. But you'll never see a league one club saying no. Its madness for them to. I'm not say they physically can't. But they simply won't say no. They aren't in a position to, once the parents find out about interest from Premier league clubs, it's game over.

Back