My bro would like to register on here but says he can't do so due to the explanation below. He doesn't have a work email address - just a Yahoo one.

Is what he is saying correct?? Or is he just an epic failure at IT?!

The explanation: He can't register because the system says he needs a work email address to verify his identity. It says this is because general email addresses could just be spam.

Help!!

Yes thats correct, it needs to be an offical email, gmail, yahoo and emails like that wont let him register. Its probably a good job as when people get banned they could just re-register with another email. I use my work email as my gmail wont let me register.

Eh? But you can register on loads of websites, message boards and the like with any email address you like - totally problem free.

What if you are retired and have no work email?? ie like my brother....

Ridiculous and a shame to exclude legitimate users in this way (in my opinion).

Its not ridiculous mate, imagine all the mag wums that could spam this place with a yahoo email, he is not being excluded, just needs to find a good email to use, maybe he could borrow someone else's.

An ISP provider email is acceptable, does he know anyone with sky or broadband that issue email addresses?

See see, that's not to mention the mag wums who are actually safc supporters allegedly.

Eh? But you can register on loads of websites, message boards and the like with any email address you like - totally problem free.

What if you are retired and have no work email?? ie like my brother....

I do actually tend to agree with you and would love to change this if only it were so simple!

A bit of background - we were originally forced to restrict email addresses due to a couple of potential libel actions against us by people with much deeper pockets than me - I had no desire to lose my house over comments a few random people had posted on the forums and part of our agreement to stop further action was to take better steps to be able to identify and restrict posters, including restricting email addresses. Back in those days, most people who had access to the internet also had an ISP email address, or if accessing from work, a work email address.

Those time are long gone and I appreciate that many people are now purely accessing from phones/tablets and have something like a gmail address as their sole email address. Unfortunately, the desire of the trolls to post libellous and wind-up posts as well as the efforts of the spammers still haven't disappeared.

We did actually, as a trial a couple of months ago stop the restriction on email addresses, but that resulted in many problems with people signing up, posting unwelcome stuff, being banned and immediately signing up again and starting all over again.

What we really need is a way of uniquely identifying people to prevent this happening - but I know of no easy way of doing this!
The closest solution currently would be to accept a nominal payment from people on signup via credit card/paypal (although "nominal" would actually have to be more than 25p to cover the costs involved in paypal fees etc!).
However, I suspect that would put even more genuine people off signing up than the email restrictions we currently have in place.

I also doubt people would want to send us scanned copies of their driving licence/passports etc to signup to an "anonymous" forum, and in any case I wouldn't want to be responsible for handling/securing those documents.

What we really need is a way of uniquely identifying people to prevent this happening - but I know of no easy way of doing this!
I've noticed some places have the 'Log in via facebook option' might this be worth looking into? I think I noticed it on this site but it doesnt seem to work.

I do actually tend to agree with you and would love to change this if only it were so simple!

A bit of background - we were originally forced to restrict email addresses due to a couple of potential libel actions against us by people with much deeper pockets than me - I had no desire to lose my house over comments a few random people had posted on the forums and part of our agreement to stop further action was to take better steps to be able to identify and restrict posters, including restricting email addresses. Back in those days, most people who had access to the internet also had an ISP email address, or if accessing from work, a work email address.

Those time are long gone and I appreciate that many people are now purely accessing from phones/tablets and have something like a gmail address as their sole email address. Unfortunately, the desire of the trolls to post libellous and wind-up posts as well as the efforts of the spammers still haven't disappeared.

We did actually, as a trial a couple of months ago stop the restriction on email addresses, but that resulted in many problems with people signing up, posting unwelcome stuff, being banned and immediately signing up again and starting all over again.

The closest solution currently would be to accept a nominal payment from people on signup via credit card/paypal (although "nominal" would actually have to be more than 25p to cover the costs involved in paypal fees etc!).
However, I suspect that would put even more genuine people off signing up than the email restrictions we currently have in place.

I also doubt people would want to send us scanned copies of their driving licence/passports etc to signup to an "anonymous" forum, and in any case I wouldn't want to be responsible for handling/securing those documents.

What about two step authenticaton for web based email - instead of clicking a link sent be email, you could set it up so that the user has to register a mobile phone number and a code is sent to them to enter back in the site.

My bro would like to register on here but says he can't do so due to the explanation below. He doesn't have a work email address - just a Yahoo one.

Is what he is saying correct?? Or is he just an epic failure at IT?!

The explanation: He can't register because the system says he needs a work email address to verify his identity. It says this is because general email addresses could just be spam.

Help!!

It doesn't have to be a work email. Who is his ISP, don't they give him a "real" email address?

Donate it to the Bradley Lowery charity. If people want to be spammy twats then it'll go to a good cause.

@Roger any further forward on this? as I will be losing my works email over the coming weeks due to a work move and my new department are very strict on using works emails for personal use. I dont mind paying 25p etc.

Back