Log Burner

Discussion in 'SMB' started by RokerRye, Dec 5, 2018.

1. RokerRye

RokerRye Goalkeeper

Whats the best form of fuel for these. Wood or Coal? Coal seems hard to get going but lasts longer. Wood I get from the garage is easy to get going but only lasts about 2 hours.

2. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

Free wood is our fuel of choice.

Keawyeds likes this.
  3. Clue is in the name no?

4. IAmZlatan

IAmZlatan Winger

Wood. More sustainable too.

Wood from a garage is usually pretty poor, especially if it’s been kept outside for sale. You need moisture content of 20% or less ideally.

RokerRye likes this.
  5. dom

dom Striker

I get wood dead easily!

6. RokerRye

RokerRye Goalkeeper

Daft question...
    Best wood and where to get it from?

7. dangermows

dangermows Striker

Yup. Hoy shit in it.

8. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

We got some delivered by GD Logs from Penshaw way. 10 bags of birch, 10 bags of oak and some kindling for £125 or summat. He has birch on special at the minute for £5 a bag. You’ll need oak as well as the birch burns quick.

RokerRye likes this.
  9. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

I use olive wood on a base of coal. Coal burns all night. Throw some timber on in the morning and we're odd again

10. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

What do you use to get the coal alight? Our new one is multifuel and I want some proper coal for it, not the shitty briquettes.

11. the boot

the boot Midfield

If you can be arsed with pallets mate Atkinson builders yard down hendon as a mountain for nowt.

12. We can only get the oval stuff to last all night . Coal burns away . Nee chance at all keeping wood going all night .

13. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

I just put a base layer of coal down and start the logs as usual. When it's going just throw coal on

14. skybo

skybo Goalkeeper

But But But the ozone layer
    If it doesn't matter let's open the pits again

15. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

Got loads in the yard at work and you’re right, I can’t be arsed!

It’s years since I’ve lit a coal fire, think I’ll get some at the weekend.

the boot likes this.
  16. The classic first world dilemma.

Get a range put in for slow cooking and source some black lead to keep it looking smart..

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  17. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

Oh hello. Who were you?

18. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Horny old bugger

dom likes this.
  19. skybo

skybo Goalkeeper

A coal miner

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  20. Fats

Fats Midfield

Never use coal. Burns nice & hot, but produces bucket fulls of tar that line your chimney. It also makes the room smell.

Best wood to burn is either birch or beech that has been seasoned for about a year. Stay well clear of dense wood like oak, it doesn't burn well. Also stay well clear of any treated wood, as this also makes a mess of your flue.

Should be able to google up wood delivery services in your area. I'm down in Norfolk & we pay £115 for 1.5 cube. The fire has to heat two large rooms, and a standard wood basket full will last about 4 hours. Using the burner to heat the two rooms, about 144 cubic metres, will get through the 1.5 cube in about 4 weeks.

RokerRye likes this.