Locksmiths and Lock Replacements - Cost?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30853

We've just had to call out a locksmith to replace a three point lock on a UPVC door. Including a trip to a wholesaler for a replacement lock. the work took about two hours, although he said he only charged for an hour. The door needed to be disassembled in order to replace the lock and locking mechanism.

We were charged about £225. Is this right or is this a bit steep for the work done?

The last time we had to have this done was at least four years ago, costing £110. I don't think the entire mechanism was replaced, just the lock. The locksmith today said the previous repair involved the wrong lock.

Have we been screwed over or does this sound about right?

Yea, the locking mechanism gearbox had to be replaced too.

It's just the jump in price since the last time we had it done was a bit of a shock. That said, if the whole locking mechanism had to be replaced, then we shouldn't be surprised.

This. I'm not having a go at the OP, but you cannot call a locksmith out and expect cheap. Mind i'd have a bit of a cry in the corner myself then just pay up.

That just about sums up how I feel. It was a bit of a shock I admit.

I had reckoned on about £150 based on what we paid four years ago, but that wasn't a full repair. With the entire locking mechanism having to be replaced then perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

To sum up, I had no idea how much an entire locking mechanism replacement would cost. I do now. You live and learn I guess. :D

Back