Lockdown press-ups

I’ve been doing 5 sets of 25 as part of my upper body routine for a while, but I know my technique is getting sloppy so I’m going to do 6x20 for a bit

Do less and strap a resistance band round you. Do them until you can't do anymore. However many that is will be the right amount and then monitor how many you can do by counting once a week. Don't put a limit of a month or whatever, just do it indefinitely.

I have not thought this through have I?

I’m going to reduce my daily addition total .

Going to start now but adding in squats as well.

I’m a fairly big lad but three hundred press ups might be a stretch!!!
Obv in one go, but if you could get down every hour and do 30?

It would make more sense to do them on alternate days?
It’s a waste of time training the same muscle group every day, or even every other day if the muscle hasn’t fully recovered. Although granted that depends on how intense the previous workout was, the muscle damage done and the ability of the person to recover. Think of it like this, if for some insane reason you rubbed your hands with a piece of sandpaper until they’re bloody, and then left the skin alone to recover, the skin will recover stronger than last time.

However, if the next day, or the day after that you decide to do the same thing again before the skin has had a chance to fully recover, all you’ve achieved is torturing yourself, with absolutely no benefit whatsoever and further extended the amount of time required for the initial damage to recover. Muscles are like that. Once you’ve trained a muscle, if you want it to grow, leave it to recover, whether that takes 48 hours or a few weeks depends on your body and ability to recover. Although the bigger the muscle, the more recovery time that is generally needed (even if you’re full of gear). So less is usually more.

Last edited:
It’s a waste of time training the same muscle group every day, or even every other day if the muscle hasn’t fully recovered. Although granted that depends on how intense the previous workout was, the muscle damage done and the ability of the person to recover. Think of it like this, if for some insane reason you rubbed your hands with a piece of sandpaper until they’re bloody, and then left the skin alone to recover, the skin will recover stronger than last time.

However, if the next day, or the day after that you decide to do the same thing again before the skin has had a chance to fully recover, all you’ve achieved is torturing yourself, with absolutely no benefit whatsoever and further extended the amount of time required for the initial damage to recover. Muscles are like that. Once you’ve trained a muscle, if you want it to grow, leave it to recover, whether that takes 48 hours or a few weeks depends on your body and ability to recover. Although the bigger the muscle, the more recovery time that is generally needed (even if you’re full of gear). So less is usually more.
It's only a few press ups a day to be fair though. Just something to do while in this new lockdown.

Back