Local lockdown

They should just shut pubs and recompense the owners/employees and left it at that.

Much simpler and effective, and less likely to get people backs up.

Beeb reckon's that Hancock will make an anouncement this morning; putting restrictions on pub opening hours all across the North East

The North East has seen a resurgence of coronavirus in recent weeks and four boroughs were last week placed on the government's watchlist for areas needing "enhanced support".
On Monday, councils in seven areas - Newcastle, Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Gateshead, County Durham and Sunderland - called for new restrictions.
BBC analysis of the government's figures shows that as of Wednesday, Bolton had the highest rate in England at 204.1 per 100,000 people in the week to 13 September.
Sunderland's rate was 82.1 per 100,000 people, South Tyneside was 93.4, Gateshead was 81.7, Newcastle was 64.1, North Tyneside was 46.7, with County Durham at 37.4 and Northumberland at 25.7.

I’m not sure if I’m missing something here, but why are County Durham (and Northumberland for that matter) being included.

Also why are those two being treated as homogeneous regions when there is such a vast difference between upper Teesdale/Weardale and Durham/CLS.

I’m not against targeted local lockdowns, but you lose the public if they don’t make logical sense and you start throwing sledgehammers at nuts

My social circle has reduced to 10 people that i see without social distancing (not all at the same time) i know that they will see others but theres no way im going to stop seeing them i spent months stuck in the house alone until support bubbles came about and it drove me mad my mental health really suffered. I trust the people i see to take the precautions such as wearing a mask amd washing there hands regularly and i refuse to live my live in fear of something that has just as much chance of killing us as stepping out the front door and being run over unless you have underlying health issues which no one in my circle does

What's the crack with driving to and from the region? Supposed to be taking my daughter back to Uni on Saturday morning... Assume this will still be ok?
Im taking my daughter down to York Uni on Saturday - she's allowed in the car with me and York isnt affected by these rules - so I assume Im ok.

I’m not sure if I’m missing something here, but why are County Durham (and Northumberland for that matter) being included.

Also why are those two being treated as homogeneous regions when there is such a vast difference between upper Teesdale/Weardale and Durham/CLS.

I’m not against targeted local lockdowns, but you lose the public if they don’t make logical sense and you start throwing sledgehammers at nuts
This is what has got me tbh, but appreciate it would be difficult to impose... But across Durham you have such a mixture of areas. Comes down to common sense again for me.

What's the crack with driving to and from the region? Supposed to be taking my daughter back to Uni on Saturday morning... Assume this will still be ok?
Car impounded at the county line and you'll be cuffed and taken to a detention centre for probing
Im taking my daughter down to York Uni on Saturday - she's allowed in the car with me and York isnt affected by these rules - so I assume Im ok.
No, you're fucked. Pop up fences and razor wire is going up and checkpoints installed today with armed inspectors.

Last edited:
So far there's two people posting on this thread who work in education. We've both got similar views on this.

When you're stuck in a classroom for 6 hours a day, there comes a point where life must go on. There's no chance I'm spending my day with other people's kids to be told I can't then spend an hour with a mate after work.

I won't be flouting the rules if it puts myself, my colleagues, my students and my family in more danger.

That and I don't have much of a social life...

Car impounded at the county line and you'll be cuffed and taken to a detention centre for probing

No, you're fucked. Pop up fences and razor wire is going up and checkpoints installed today with armed inspectors.
Fingers crossed mate I love being probed
we're going to glastonbury on saturday for no other reason than for a break. knowing our luck we'll not be able to go.
What's on down there?

Last edited:
I work with about 36 other people over 3 depots spread over 3 counties but I can't have a beer in my back garden with my mate?

Can't see many people taking notice of this anymore

Back