Local lockdown

FWIW I’m all for the rules other than childcare. I’m in a position where I have no choice of what I can do. My job isn’t flexible enough to allow much manouvering and my Mrs works in a bank 9-5.

I have a 3 year old at school and a 1 year old who needs looking after. My in-laws have done it and I’ve looked for childcare in the area and there is none available. Even if there was I would really struggle to afford it. I consider myself not poor or rich but for some people who have next to nowt this will be even more impossible.

It’s so out of touch.

Totally agree and I'm in the same boat. I start work at 6.30, our lass at 8. We already pay as much as we can for childcare and rely on grandparents to help out the rest of the week. For people to say the solution is just pay fo morer childcare is showing a complete lack of understanding on different circumstances for different families and its not a 1 size fits all dilemma.

What piffle Frijj, either you think the rules are rules and they should be followed or you accept people will break them. What you’re saying is that it’s ok for people to break the bits you don’t agree with but they should follow everything else.

And it’s worse than that because you’re having a go at people breaking non-mandatory guidance while accepting that it’s ok to actually break the law (in a limited and specific way?)

have a like for using piffle

FWIW I’m all for the rules other than childcare. I’m in a position where I have no choice of what I can do. My job isn’t flexible enough to allow much manouvering and my Mrs works in a bank 9-5.

I have a 3 year old at school and a 1 year old who needs looking after. My in-laws have done it and I’ve looked for childcare in the area and there is none available. Even if there was I would really struggle to afford it. I consider myself not poor or rich but for some people who have next to nowt this will be even more impossible.

It’s so out of touch.

I couldn’t agree more with this. In fairness to the councils they did request an exemption on the grounds of childcare in some form or another that Hancock denied. Presumably to allow precisely what you pointed out.

So what part of it do you not understand ?

I just don't understand the logic behind been able to meet in a pub but not in a household. People will scream "track and trace" but it's utter bollocks. I'll get my Mam to put a notepad at the front of her house and sign me in, job sorted

"advised", "should not" - all a load of shite..... "but crack on going to work mixing with 100s/1000s as we are doing everything to prevent the spread of the virus"

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more with this. In fairness to the councils they did request an exemption on the grounds of childcare in some form or another that Hancock denied. Presumably to allow precisely what you pointed out.
the childcare thing is a nightmare. Luckily I don't need childcare anymore, as she's left school. Essentially people are being put in a position of not being able to work (and not be paid) because they've got no childcare thanks to the restrictions.

I've adhered to everything up to now. If I was placed in the above position, I'd simply have to break the rules.

I just don't understand the logic behind been able to meet in a pub but not in a household. People will scream "track and trace" but it's utter bollocks. I'll get my Mam to put a notepad at the front of her house and sign me in, job sorted

"advised", "should not" - all a load of shite..... "but crack on going to work mixing with 100s/1000s as we are doing everything to prevent the spread of the virus"
Fair enough, the rules are easy to work with, I'd admit they dont make any sense tho

Nope. I’ve done all I can to reduce risk. I haven’t visited a pub or restaurant and will continue not to, however I will point out what is law and what is guidance and generally note the inconsistencies in the rules.

Yes. People should put their brain in gear and make their own decisions & risk assessments and not listen like little children for the government to tell them what is safe and unsafe. People flocked to busy restaurants because the government gave them 50% off dinner (safe?) but now won’t even see close family once a week because the government says it’s unsafe.

I will continue to do exactly what I was before which is not go to any pubs, restaurants, meet groups of friends etc. and will happily break the law by visiting my parents once a week or fortnight.

There is a brain dead boot licker section of the population who would draw a cock on their head with a sharpie if the government said it would reduce covid risk. The rules are an absolute nonsense and anyone who is just following them blindly is an absolute fool.

Not sure how you can say

“no”

to being asked if you’re someone who is shamefully abandoning their civic duty to reduce transmission

when you encourage others to break the law and also you say you yourself will break the law

I wonder if the Council will fine me if I take my kids out of school since the parents and grandparents of every other kid there seems intent on flouting the law, I am not going to expose my kids and family to the risk of catching the virus from the selfish arseholes.

Not sure how you can say

“no”

to being asked if you’re someone who is shamefully abandoning their civic duty to reduce transmission

when you encourage others to break the law and also you say you yourself will break the law
Because in the real world breaking the law =/= increasing transmission. And following the law =/= reducing transmission.

The laws are a nonsense, which is why you can break the law and risk spreading the virus less than someone following the law.

You can't go to your Mam's for a cuppa but you can meet her in the pub, cram your child on a school bus then on to school - I drive past several schools on a morning there is no social distance going on and many groups of more than 6 kicking about- , go to work, go to the gym, play football etc

How many times until it sinks into some peoples skulls....

You can police pubs to ensure people are adhering to social distancing. You can't in people's houses.

You can't go to your Mam's for a cuppa but you can meet her in the pub, cram your child on a school bus then on to school - I drive past several schools on a morning there is no social distance going on and many groups of more than 6 kicking about- , go to work, go to the gym, play football etc

Pubs, work, gyms etc should be enforcing social distancing and it can be checked. That can't de done in people's houses. The fact some aren't enforcing it isn't the fault of those making the rules.

The Bell are saying they will.

We will only accept tables from one household, this will be strictly enforced, so please don't put us in a position where we have to refuse entry.
Tbf, No-one has a god-given right to be allowed into a pub.

Even in normal, non-Covid times pubs can have their own rules about who is and isn't allowed in to their establishment.

The Bell is choosing to adopt this as a rule - fair play to them - other places won't because they don't have to.

I wonder if the Council will fine me if I take my kids out of school since the parents and grandparents of every other kid there seems intent on flouting the law, I am not going to expose my kids and family to the risk of catching the virus from the selfish arseholes.

Is that a dig at those of us with childcare issues?
Can you explain how we are being selfish please?

You can police pubs but nobody is policing them.

Plenty of pubs are enforcing it. I bet no one going to their mams house is keeping two metres away.

But again, as Isaid, if some places aren't adhering that's not the fault of the rule makers, and doesn't detract from the reasons for it.

Last edited:

Back