Local Help - Good Asian Supermarket

There’s one on Eden House road, opposite corner to Max’s. They changed the name, used to be One Stop but can’t remember now (I only walk past it 2-4 times a day...). They do stuff like chillis by the kilo, various Indian veg that I can’t even identify, big bunches of coriander etc. They sell most stuff wholesale size, I think a lot of restaurants/takeaways shop there. They even sell the big aluminium pans for making base sauce and the like. Think they must get a bit of grief from the local knuckledraggers as they eye you a bit funny when you walk in, but a quick smile and hello and they are friendly as owt, even recommended some recipes and spices for me.
Sad state of affairs that you have to open your mouth before you arent regarded as a knob... is that our stereotype when we walk into an asian supermarket? Very sad

Sad state of affairs that you have to open your mouth before you arent regarded as a knob... is that our stereotype when we walk into an asian supermarket? Very sad
It is, but they have had grief from some of the scumbags round here so I understand their hesitation. I’m covered in tattoos, too, so it might just be me!

Doesnt have to be in Sunderland but within reasonable distance. Ive tried the one on Fawcett street but its a bit small. Any recommendations of a good Asian supermarket I can buy the like of Kaffir limes, lemon grass, herbs and spices, various dahls etc. The one I used to use in Brighton covered most Asian. Also a good green grocers who sell chillies etc by the pound/kilo rather than a 60p bag from tescos

AHMEDS INTERNATIONAL FOOD STORE laygate shields. Underneath Aneesas

End of thread marra. Class clean place owned by a mate who I've played cricket with. I do all my ethnic shop there. Meat is spot on too.

Why’s that Dave?
Ethnic appropriation innit?

I’m worried they’ll laugh at the honkey buying ingredients for curries.

It was the same in Manchester. I used to walk past the Indian shops which had some tremendous looking confectionery in the windows, but I wouldn’t have dared go inside in case it was Indians only.

the one next to durham bus station is great, they cook a coupl of dishes fresh every day which cost 3 or 4 quid a pop, always nice. they've put a few more tables on the shop floor now so the eaty side must be getting more popular. always loads of chinese students eating and shopping there.

Doesnt have to be in Sunderland but within reasonable distance. Ive tried the one on Fawcett street but its a bit small. Any recommendations of a good Asian supermarket I can buy the like of Kaffir limes, lemon grass, herbs and spices, various dahls etc. The one I used to use in Brighton covered most Asian. Also a good green grocers who sell chillies etc by the pound/kilo rather than a 60p bag from tescos
Have you tried sainsburys at southwick great selection of currys stuff and Pasta plus mutti finely chopped toms
There's loads in Chester road too
Never been in but seem to have a good selection of veg outside when I drove past on Sunday morning

Have you tried sainsburys at southwick great selection of currys stuff and Pasta plus mutti finely chopped toms
There's loads in Chester road too
Never been in but seem to have a good selection of veg outside when I drove past on Sunday morning
Things like shrimp paste kaffir leaves white peppercorns and some other oddities arentbquite as readily available at Sainsbury’s I’ve tried a few supermarkets like that mate

What's the sudden interest in goat meat? Has it been on some trendy cooking programme?

no. its more tender and sweeter than lamb. A lot leaner as well. Ive used it for several years in curry as a substitute for lamb. However I have to go to Westgate Road for it and its a bit hit and miss whether I can get it.

Back