Local Help - Good Asian Supermarket

Discussion in 'SMB' started by mackembulldog, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mackembulldog

mackembulldog Winger

Doesnt have to be in Sunderland but within reasonable distance. Ive tried the one on Fawcett street but its a bit small. Any recommendations of a good Asian supermarket I can buy the like of Kaffir limes, lemon grass, herbs and spices, various dahls etc. The one I used to use in Brighton covered most Asian. Also a good green grocers who sell chillies etc by the pound/kilo rather than a 60p bag from tescos

2. The one next to Borneo Bistro used to be cracking when I lived in Sunderland.

mackembulldog likes this.
  3. Nookie Bear

Nookie Bear Winger

Aye we use that a lot but probably the best one around is the one opposite the gate in Newcastle

4. mackembulldog

mackembulldog Winger

ta will check the one in Newcastle not sure where Borneo bistro is

5. zinedine

zinedine Striker

Don't know how good it is but there is a big one on hylton rd about opposite St Marks rd. Just over the metro bridge coming from the town.

6. Kevj

Kevj Striker

The one on the corner of Kayll Rd/ Chester Rd is great for Indian spices and the like, but I’m not sure it supplies Far Eastern foodstuffs.

ajthemackem likes this.
  7. MackemBob

MackemBob Winger

Stowell Street (or nearby) for Chinese stuff. Khans on Chester road at the Kayll road junction does subcontinent stuff.

8. So you ask for one in Sunderland, we tell you of a good one, and you'd rather go to Newcastle? MAG! :lol: There's loads on Hylton/Chester Rd man.

Butcher's Coat and kamaras-tash like this.
  9. hairynaker

hairynaker Midfield

What's that shop underneath the old after dark 2, the the way to shields? Is that one? Seems a decent size.

Edit, it's called Ahmed's International Superstore

Charlie Chimp and kinkyjohn like this.
  10. Walter Ego

Walter Ego Winger

Asia’s a big place.

11. kinkyjohn

kinkyjohn Goalkeeper

This one, Ahmed's in Laygate, underneath aneesa's.

Charlie Chimp and the veteran like this.
  12. Jarra Dicka

Jarra Dicka Winger

Another vote for Ahmeds

Charlie Chimp likes this.
  13. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

One down from Chesters before phone shop ,on corner

14. DaftGet

DaftGet Full Back

Try Rotherham Leeds or Bradford marra

mackembulldog likes this.
  15. Skandhaless

Skandhaless Striker

This, best one around

16. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

Between Hutchinson’s on Chester Road and the one Typhoon recommended on Hylton Road you’ll get everything you need.

Hutchinson’s is opposite side to the Chester’s and up past Spar.

Hylton Road one is next to the burnt down Borneo Bistro, just up from Millfield Metro station on your right hand side (heading away from town).

17. mackembulldog

mackembulldog Winger

I tried the one on hylton road, quite a few things they didn't have. I'll try the one opposite the chesters, failing that I'll try Ahmed's at the weekend. Thanks to all who commented

18. Southall for the best variety outside of Asia.

19. jedi_toaster

jedi_toaster Winger

There’s one on Eden House road, opposite corner to Max’s. They changed the name, used to be One Stop but can’t remember now (I only walk past it 2-4 times a day...). They do stuff like chillis by the kilo, various Indian veg that I can’t even identify, big bunches of coriander etc. They sell most stuff wholesale size, I think a lot of restaurants/takeaways shop there. They even sell the big aluminium pans for making base sauce and the like. Think they must get a bit of grief from the local knuckledraggers as they eye you a bit funny when you walk in, but a quick smile and hello and they are friendly as owt, even recommended some recipes and spices for me.