Local cricket season 2020 - how is it going for you & your club?

kidderminster

Goalkeeper
Just wondering how this abbreviated season of local cricket going for us all? As regards the NEPL, organisationally it seems the 4 modified Cups are functioning alright, though our club doesn’t run a midweek side in the Banks Shield so I can’t comment about that competition. Obviously, the odd thing about the Salver is the appearance of a Durham Academy side featuring players from other clubs who play all their games away & can’t qualify for the next round. The non-participation of clubs in the Bowl and Cup is more worrying, though it’s nice to see Shields helping out. Shotley Bridge taking the year off from all NEPL is really strange. It’s a club I always thought was fairly vibrant, so it surprises me. Lower down, our 3s are in the NTCL & have been put in a rejigged division where we host 7 teams & have only 1 away game, with all cup competitions shelved. How is the situation in Durham? I presume the restructuring didn’t go ahead.

Shortened games of 40 overs in the NEPL (35 for the Cup) & a noon start mean we’re finished by 5pm, which is rather soon, though I got to see the fu;; FA Cup final for the first time in years. Crowds, always estimated, seem double previous years & the bar is doing well. The COVID regulations seem to vary from place to place. The most relaxed was probably Jesmond for the Northumberland Cup & Plate double header & seemingly the strictest was Willington, where all the benches are taped off. All in all, it’s great to have games to watch & play. Here’s to sustained dry weather until the end of September.

Personal performance wise it's been hit and miss averaging 21 with the bat and 27 with the ball I had a long time out with the yips and a kind of performance anxiety with bowling which caused me to quit. I love the game and want to get back but sometimes it's hard as I have days where everything clicks and I'm relaxed but others where I'm a nervous wreck and can't focus but it has been better this year so hopefully I'm on the right track

League wise I think I would prefer to play timed cricket than the current format and hope we don't switch to 40/40 from next year too many games are over as contests after the 1st innings at least with times cricket if the opposition smashes you about for 50 overs you can always dig in and grind out a draw which avoids 3 hours of a game being merely a formality and keeps everyone intrested but just my opinion I'm sure people who've played longer than me will see it a lot different

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering how this abbreviated season of local cricket going for us all? As regards the NEPL, organisationally it seems the 4 modified Cups are functioning alright, though our club doesn’t run a midweek side in the Banks Shield so I can’t comment about that competition. Obviously, the odd thing about the Salver is the appearance of a Durham Academy side featuring players from other clubs who play all their games away & can’t qualify for the next round. The non-participation of clubs in the Bowl and Cup is more worrying, though it’s nice to see Shields helping out. Shotley Bridge taking the year off from all NEPL is really strange. It’s a club I always thought was fairly vibrant, so it surprises me. Lower down, our 3s are in the NTCL & have been put in a rejigged division where we host 7 teams & have only 1 away game, with all cup competitions shelved. How is the situation in Durham? I presume the restructuring didn’t go ahead.

Shortened games of 40 overs in the NEPL (35 for the Cup) & a noon start mean we’re finished by 5pm, which is rather soon, though I got to see the fu;; FA Cup final for the first time in years. Crowds, always estimated, seem double previous years & the bar is doing well. The COVID regulations seem to vary from place to place. The most relaxed was probably Jesmond for the Northumberland Cup & Plate double header & seemingly the strictest was Willington, where all the benches are taped off. All in all, it’s great to have games to watch & play. Here’s to sustained dry weather until the end of September.
Is that you in the avatar, and what’s your favourite crisp flavour?

where do you stand on Dom Bess, and drop buttler or not?

Slightly off topic but I noticed Sean Longstaff the Newcastle footballer has been opening the bowling for Tynemouth for the past couple of matches.
I thought those days where long gone when pro footballers where allowed to play club cricket in the off season.

Slightly off topic but I noticed Sean Longstaff the Newcastle footballer has been opening the bowling for Tynemouth for the past couple of matches.
I thought those days where long gone when pro footballers where allowed to play club cricket in the off season.

Rob Elliott (Mag goalie) was playing for CLS 1s a few years back. Joe Hart still plays for Shrewsbury a bit I think.

Nigel Martyn and Paul Robinson both play for Knaresborough

haven’t played for a while sold all my kit my ten year old is playing now think he’s looking at Chester me street under 13s might get my kit back and have a knock soon. First back duck coming on

Back