Living on £1 per day

I've got a 10 year old that will only eat certain things. I know kids can be picky, but like I said it's down to having a bit of imagination with ingredients.

See, these are the kinds of things which SHOULD be taught in school. Budgeting and basic cookery should be part of the curriculum.
I'm not saying it'll solve all the problems, far from it, but having that bit of knowledge would help a lot of people.

Well, I've still only spent 90p on food in a week.

I have to admit I was treated to a day at the races yesterday by two very good friends. They bought my ticket, food, drink and got me there and back. They even gave me my betting money. I feel so blessed to have really good friend so thanks, you know who you are ❤️
Your rules seem to be rather 'elastic'.

Your rules seem to be rather 'elastic'.
My rules are my rules aren't they? ;)

I want to see what it's like having very little money to spend on food and drink and I'm doing just that. If someone was living on the breadline and they were invited to a relative's house for dinner which is common, they would eat free. It wouldn't happen on a regular basis but it happens.

Still sticking to it Pillars?
He's dead Susan 😉
I haven't been living on £1 but I've been eating a lot cheaper . Started making sushi , cheap as chips , bit of rice , chopped salad , tiny bit fish . As long as you keep away from the avacado , king prawn, sushi grade tuna etc it's well economical . Healthy too

Last edited:
Bit of a failure mate. I fell off the wagon :lol:.

I'm splitting up from my mrs and she's moving out in a few weeks so I'm going to try again then. It's not easy when people keep bringing nice food into the house.
He's dead Susan 😉

I haven't been living on £1 but I've been eating a lot cheaper . Started making sushi , cheap as chips , bit of rice , chopped salad , tiny bit fish . As long as you keep away from the avacado , king prawn, sushi grade tuna etc it's well economical . Healthy too
I've got a packet of nori and an unopened sushi set I got a few years ago. I might give it ago.

Last edited:

I'm splitting up from my mrs and she's moving out in a few weeks so I'm going to try again then. It's not easy when people keep bringing nice food into the house.

I've got a packet of nori and an unopened sushi set I got a few years ago. I might give it ago.

So you began your quest on the 20th

Went on all expenses covered bender at the races on the 25th

Stopped posting on the 26th presumably (apologies if not) after the wheels came off?

Someone give Nadhim Zahawi a bell, I think pillars here has just solved the cost of living crisis :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Piece of cake mate , bit sugar and vinegar stirred through the rice and a few old scraps out the fridge sliced fine , bingo.

So you began your quest on the 20th

Went on all expenses covered bender at the races on the 25th

Stopped posting on the 26th presumably (apologies if not) after the wheels came off?

Someone give Nadhim Zahawi a bell, I think pillars here has just solved the cost of living crisis :lol:
More or less spot on in your assessment. TBF it will be easier when I've got control of my own cupboards and bulk supplies have been exhausted. Plus I fancy a BBQ today ;)

I'll do it again in around 3 weeks when I live alone.

More or less spot on in your assessment. TBF it will be easier when I've got control of my own cupboards and bulk supplies have been exhausted. Plus I fancy a BBQ today ;)

I'll do it again in around 3 weeks when I live alone.

Fair play to you, and hope your split isn’t too rough.

Will await further updates 👍

Fair play to you, and hope your split isn’t too rough.

Will await further updates 👍
Cheers. The split is vert amicable. Lockdown killed us off but we get on well now. We probably wouldn't have split if we were getting on like now but she's bought a house and I've got a mortgage I didn't have so we are both OK with it.

I'll start my experiment the day she leaves which will hopefully be before the end of the month.

Back