Living on £1 per day

Water isn’t free for a start

Our bill equates to a quid a day, at least

Anyone in a position of authority who thinks families can live on this figure ( or anything near a quid ) clearly has zero concept of the value of money
Well that goes without saying. Water is a monthly bill like other stuff and isn't included in the challenge. The £1 a day is for food, or anything connected with making food like chicken food, seeds, fertiliser, or compost.

I have things in place to make £1 realistic compared to someone who is starting from scratch.

Impossible to eat properly for 7quid a week per person.

6 apples a quid
Box of cereal a quid
Bottle of milk quid 50
Loaf of bread maybe 50p if you're lucky

Leaves 3 quid for meat veg cheese pasta or rice etc.

Can probably skip the cheese . A £3 chicken can do 4 days probably . Roast chicken first day , chicken curry second , chicken fried rice day 3 , turn carcass into stock and make a soup or sauce for a pasta day 4 , could even add the stock to a Dahl and make gram flour chapaties to have with it . One does me and our lass 3 days like that ( she would live on chicken if you let her )
Probably be better off buying stock pots than paying for the gas it would cost to boil the carcass these days!

Mental.

But it's also mental that it's now normal to spend £18 on a takeaway pizza from dominoes, or half a grand on a stag do etc.

Not that I did that with mine or any I've been on, but it is meant to be a once in a lifetime sort of thing. Bit different to a standard holiday etc.
I do think it's a bit much though.

Big pack of pasta and a jar of sauce from Home bargains. The next day buy a big packet of frozen veg.

Last edited:
Fwiw I met a bloke that was homeless for a while and reckoned he ate well by raiding Supermarket skips for out of date food. You'd have to be pretty skint to do that like. I know of people who got free meals from various charities.

Being a bit skint I've decided to see if I can live on £1 per day for food and drink. I'm going to still eat what I have in the house, what I can grow, or forage.

Hopefully I'll last more than a week before I order a takeaway.
I’ve done it before on probably less then a quid a day but for very short periods - 4/5 days. It’s doable but you feel terrible. By the end you’re ready for a salad or a bowl of fruit.

I’ve done it before on probably less then a quid a day but for very short periods - 4/5 days. It’s doable but you feel terrible. By the end you’re ready for a salad or a bowl of fruit.
I'm eating a salad now but I've grown in except for the tuna :D
Having an allotment salad and soft fruits don't sound too much of a problem
Loads of salad leaves, spring onions, got a cucumber today, tomato, carrot and purple mangetout. Got loads of strawberries today and have some cream in the fridge. Jobs a good'n. Used a tin of tuna between yesterday and today and put a handful of walnuts and a few capers in it

Last edited:

Back