Living on £1 per day

It's possible but not ideal.. the way is to do a whole bag of pasta with peppers, onion garlic and a can of tomatos which you can drag out for evening meal for 4 nights..

Porridge in mornings... Bananas can be had for about 10peach..

If you have staples in and a few bits in freezer then you can definitely survive though

It’s doable for a very short time assuming that you have a well stocked cupboard. Not doable at all if you are going from scratch.

Is this a little experiment of your own or is it forced on you due to current circumstances. Feel free to tell me to butt out. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if needed.
No I don't have to thanks for asking.

I've had a bit of a lifestyle change, split up from my mrs and bought her out of my house. I've went from having no mortgage and thousands in the bank to a mortgage and overdraft in a few months. I just want to put my finances right before it gets out of control.

I've fancied trying to do it before but I've got an incentive now.

Whatever is cheap and versatile. Like I said I'll probably give up after a week. I just want to see if it can be done.
Get yersen down the local asian grocer . Big bag of moong dhal, onions , tomatoes , curry powder , chapati flour , basmati rice , salt , veg oil . Add some yoghurt and the odd egg and you've got complete protein and carbo . The lack of vitamins would eventually prove problematic but if you can get some cabbage should help . Even better if you have a blender and can get some cheap fruit and make a lassi with the yoghurt
If you've got bits of meat or fish in the freezer to eek it out you'll do it easy for a fortnight.
I often have a dhal , rice and chapati day

Last edited:
Get yersen down the local asian grocer . Big bag of moong dhal, onions , tomatoes , curry powder , chapati flour , basmati rice , salt , veg oil . Add some yoghurt and the odd egg and you've got complete protein and carbo . The lack of vitamins would eventually prove problematic but if you can get some cabbage should help . Even better if you have a blender and can get some cheap fruit and make a lassi with the yoghurt
If you've got bits of meat or fish in the freezer to eek it out you'll do it easy for a fortnight
Daals and the like is a great way to go

No I don't have to thanks for asking.

I've had a bit of a lifestyle change, split up from my mrs and bought her out of my house. I've went from having no mortgage and thousands in the bank to a mortgage and overdraft in a few months. I just want to put my finances right before it gets out of control.

I've fancied trying to do it before but I've got an incentive now.
Pleased it’s not a dire necessity. Best of luck to you. Would be canny if you could share your progress.

This lass is the gold standard for bait on a budget: Recipes & Food – COOKING ON A BOOTSTRAP

Bag of pasta, bag of rice, frozen veg mix, frozen peppers, stock cubes, tomato pure, mixed herbs. Bag of porridge. Frozen mince/meat probably the cheapest way to go.

Back