Living on £1 per day

Get yersen down the local asian grocer . Big bag of moong dhal, onions , tomatoes , curry powder , chapati flour , basmati rice , salt , veg oil . Add some yoghurt and the odd egg and you've got complete protein and carbo . The lack of vitamins would eventually prove problematic but if you can get some cabbage should help . Even better if you have a blender and can get some cheap fruit and make a lassi with the yoghurt
If you've got bits of meat or fish in the freezer to eek it out you'll do it easy for a fortnight.
I often have a dhal , rice and chapati day
Lentils, whoops aisle for veg, bag of flour to make flat bread, water to drink and Shank’s pony for travel. Huge pan of lentil soup would last three days and just add whatever fresh greens you can get for next to nothing.
Couple of billion rural Indians can't be wrong .
Kitcheri is a great dish , rice and Dahl mixed , the protein and carb mix is very slow release , keeps you full
Rice n dhal has the complete proteins.

Last edited:

Lentils, whoops aisle for veg, bag of flour to make flat bread, water to drink and Shank’s pony for travel. Huge pan of lentil soup would last three days and just add whatever fresh greens you can get for next to nothing.

Rice n dhal has the complete proteins.
I lived with a Pakistani family in Southall for a year. My landlady taught me how to cook perfect rice, make tarka dhal and chapatis out of flour and water. I grow my own veg and have a chest freezer in the garage ;)

He will be fine on 2000 or even a bit less.
I'm going to have unlimited supplies of potatoes soon. Just waiting a couple more weeks and they will be a decent size
Got any mushrooms on the go?
That would be magic.
Admire you for trying but no chance and eating what you already have in your fridge doesn’t really count.

I could live on fuck all a day if I lived in Marksies
I've already said I'm not counting the first week. I've got a tiny bit of butter left and less than a pint of milk. There's no meat in it, half a packet of defrosted prawns and two small blocks of cheese. The rest is veg and condiments.
Bit of trading up the allotment won’t go a miss i bet.
When I've thought about it people just give you stuff anyway. My leeks were crap last year and some of my mates had loads so I just took theirs if I was making a soup. I've planted loads this year but they won't be ready for months.

Last edited:
It's sad that people in the UK are living on less then a pound a day. Nothing good from living on a £1 a day apart from starvation or heart disease.

Rice, lentils, tinned tomato’s and a host of spices lovely little spicy dish fairly cheap once you’ve bought the spices to use over a long period of time.

I can’t see how it’s possible but I definitely think there needs to be more teaching in schools of cooking on a budget. I’ve been watching someone on tik tok 😅 he’s called Meals by Mitch he cooks some cracking meals for less than a fiver using mostly Sainsburys there basics range is pretty good.

I'm not sure what the point of this is? The OP seems to have lots of back-up anyway with existing stock and his allotment. Why not try a more realistic amount like a fiver a day? It's still only 35 quid a week.

Back