Living on £1 per day

Being a bit skint I've decided to see if I can live on £1 per day for food and drink. I'm going to still eat what I have in the house, what I can grow, or forage.

Hopefully I'll last more than a week before I order a takeaway.

Admire you for trying but no chance and eating what you already have in your fridge doesn’t really count.

I could live on fuck all a day if I lived in Marksies

Like I said I won't count the first week. By then I will have had to buy stuff like butter and milk.

I won't be eating anything bland :D
That’s the thing. You need a larder with stuff for stock, seasoning, butter, eggs, milk and bread.
The Chinese supermarkets are great for any Asian stuff you need in bulk too.
Dunno how often you go in them. Once a fortnight for me. The prices have shot up. Price of noodles has gone through the roof. I eat loads of them

Last edited:
That's what I'm planning on spending the £1 on. I should be OK for veg. I'm OK for eggs because I've got chickens. A sack of chicken pellets is around £9.50 a sack though and I'm counting that in the cost.
Absolutely no problem at all then. Make a giant yorkie and fill it with veg. Load of gravy on. Risotto with the veg you have. You could make your own pasta and do a carbonara. I could easily manage on what you have available. It’s the booze I’d miss.

Absolutely no problem at all then. Make a giant yorkie and fill it with veg. Load of gravy on. Risotto with the veg you have. You could make your own pasta and do a carbonara. I could easily manage on what you have available. It’s the booze I’d miss.
I've got some cherry wine on the go and around 100 bottles of different homemade wine in the garage. I've got a booze cupboard as well but the wife claimed half when we split up :lol:

Is this just an experiment or are you really struggling?
Just an experiment to see how difficult it would be. I've always been opinionated about it but I'm a bit of a hypocrite if I haven't done it.
:lol:

Whey man nowt to worry about. Can I move in?
Are you a fit lass?
Just an experiment to see how difficult it would be. I've always been opinionated about it but I'm a bit of a hypocrite if I haven't done it.

Are you a fit lass?
Or just a lass with a pulse will do :lol:

Last edited:
Dunno how often you go in them. Once a fortnight for me. The prices have shot up. Price of noodles has gone through the roof. I eat loads of them
Normally have a restock every 6-8 weeks. The best one for me is right over the other side of the city so tend to do a good big shop when I head over.

Breakfast - Bread and butter

Brunch - Bread

Lunch - Butter with bread

Snack - Bread and butter

Tea - Bread

Supper - Bread with some butter
Have you seen the price of butter? ;)
You can knock a massive pan of soup/stew and dumplings up and freeze batches.
You could easily live on £7 a week.
Even the supermarkets have a variety of stuff going for next to nothing if you go late enough.
As an experiment, it's easily doable but the duration of it would take its toll if you actually can afford more variety, yet you would get used to it if you were really struggling.
It's amazing what you can do when the chips are down.

Last edited:
Have you seen the price of butter? ;)
You can knock a massive pan of soup/stew and dumplings up and freeze batches.
You could easily live on £7 a week.
Even the supermarkets have a variety of stuff going for next to nothing if you go late enough.
As an experiment, it's easily doable but the duration of it would take its toll if you actually can afford more variety, yet you would get used to it if you were really struggling.
It's amazing what you can do when the chips are down.

A tin of Lidl own brand Chunky soup is about 50p (decent too). If they can make it and sell it that cheap then it would be even cheaper to make similar yourself. Would be quite nutritional anarl.

Back