Lion King at the Sunderland Empire

Is it any good? I’ve got tickets for it in April for me and the other half (no).

Loved the film like (cartoon version), probably my favourite ever Disney film.
It's brilliant. I've been to Disneyland Paris three times, and Disney World in Florida twice and there also brilliant (Florida blows away Paris mind) where I've watched many shows and I have to say the theatre version is the best of the lot. I've seen the Lion King once in London and once in Sunderland and they were both excellent. In Fact they were that good my wife and daughter are going to the Empire in April to see it a third time, they enjoyed it that much.

Wdsc
Len harper saved the empire in 70s I think
Remember at the time the Tories were twisting about what a waste it was
I am pretty sure it was in the 1960's. Quite a few schools including mine used to hold their Speech Days at the Empire there during the 60's. I am sure they were encouraged to do so because it was then a civic theater and the Council wanted the place used. It also go the kids and their parents in to it

I remember Len very well he was a great champion of the theater and he even played Captain Hook in the pantomime there I think on at least a couple of occassions.

It's brilliant. I've been to Disneyland Paris three times, and Disney World in Florida twice and there also brilliant (Florida blows away Paris mind) where I've watched many shows and I have to say the theatre version is the best of the lot. I've seen the Lion King once in London and once in Sunderland and they were both excellent. In Fact they were that good my wife and daughter are going to the Empire in April to see it a third time, they enjoyed it that much.
Don't think I could go to Paris for Disneyland after going to Florida

Don't think I could go to Paris for Disneyland after going to Florida
Why? Its great.
£10k for a fortnight in Orlando vs £2k for 3nights in Paris.
Ok, its not the same VfM from a days perspective, but for little kids, they get the full Disney experience in 3 days anyway.

I'm booked up for this at the end of next month. Ended up having to pay £85 a ticket each for the four of us. No discount for kids. I was limited on the days I could go and there were some £20 tickets but unsuitable view for kids.
I was a little shocked at how expensive it was as I paid much less for a perfectly good view at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane for Frozen at the weekend. But, judging by how many tickets have been sold then they've known what to price it at as it's sold. So suck it up buttercup.

Looking forward to it though. Think I might get a taste for shows now after really enjoying the Frozen one.

I am pretty sure it was in the 1960's. Quite a few schools including mine used to hold their Speech Days at the Empire there during the 60's. I am sure they were encouraged to do so because it was then a civic theater and the Council wanted the place used. It also go the kids and their parents in to it

I remember Len very well he was a great champion of the theater and he even played Captain Hook in the pantomime there I think on at least a couple of occassions.
Mid 70s IIRC.

Saw this in London and not sure if it was just because it was hyped up to me more etc. but was pretty disappointed with it tbh

Would put Back to the Future, new Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Wicked above it

Totally this..I’ve seen it twice in London..the second time last summer and there’s just too many times in it when there’s not much happening..great start with the animals but pretty underwhelming after that..Beauty and the Beast..Hairspray (excellent with Les Dennis)..all much better..still a good thing for the City though.
I'm booked up for this at the end of next month. Ended up having to pay £85 a ticket each for the four of us. No discount for kids. I was limited on the days I could go and there were some £20 tickets but unsuitable view for kids.
I was a little shocked at how expensive it was as I paid much less for a perfectly good view at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane for Frozen at the weekend. But, judging by how many tickets have been sold then they've known what to price it at as it's sold. So suck it up buttercup.

Looking forward to it though. Think I might get a taste for shows now after really enjoying the Frozen one.

You’d fall over if i told you how much i paid for Hamilton tickets four years ago!!

Last edited:

Wouldn't mind seeing Frozen tbh. Was there much singalong etc. (would prefer there not to be tbh)

We have tickets for Sixx and Heathers booked too

Wouldn't mind seeing Frozen tbh. Was there much singalong etc. (would prefer there not to be tbh)

We have tickets for Sixx and Heathers booked too

I’ve seen Heathers..we’d had a busy day in London and it was during the summer..we were about 10 rows back and right in the middle..i feel asleep..I’m quite tall and my Niece said it was embarrassing as owt..anyway what i eventually saw was ok.
Have you seen Mary Poppins..it was on in a theatre up Soho..now that’s superb.

Last edited:
I’ve seen Heathers..we’d had a busy day in London and it was during the summer..we were about 10 rows back and right in the middle..i feel asleep..I’m quite tall and my Niece said it was embarrassing as owt..anyway what i eventually saw was ok.
Have you seen Mary Poppins..it was on in a theatre up Soho..now that’s superb.

I havent but will definitely give it a look

For Heather's we've just got £13 seats on the side at the Empire so not expecting much but for that price I can't grumble considering the prices I've paid in London

I was a little shocked at how expensive it was.

Your saying about the price of the tickets for Lion King they have a cast of 50 actors, then there is all the back of house staff, musicians everything, the touring production of Lion King is about 100-150 people in total. This soon adds up to the costs of the production, I would imagine that the salary costs etc for the 8 shows a week are close to £300,000, that is not including front of house staff in the empire, the security staff etc.

Something to consider is that the ticket sales over the 7 week run is £12,000,000 so this is a canny bump to the local economy, that is not including people spending money on hotels and pre and post show entertainment, I know as a family of 6 we spent another £200 in a local restaurant before the show that we would never have normally spent.

I was supposed to go about 10 years ago in London but had to cancel due to work commitments. I got tickets for last Sunday and was looking forward to it, until I woke up on Sunday morning with Covid and had to watch the wife and kids drive off to see it without me. I'm destined never to see this.

Your saying about the price of the tickets for Lion King they have a cast of 50 actors, then there is all the back of house staff, musicians everything, the touring production of Lion King is about 100-150 people in total. This soon adds up to the costs of the production, I would imagine that the salary costs etc for the 8 shows a week are close to £300,000, that is not including front of house staff in the empire, the security staff etc.

Something to consider is that the ticket sales over the 7 week run is £12,000,000 so this is a canny bump to the local economy, that is not including people spending money on hotels and pre and post show entertainment, I know as a family of 6 we spent another £200 in a local restaurant before the show that we would never have normally spent.
Not sure why you cut off the second half of my post there. I was a little shocked as I didn't expect it to be that much. I paid much less than that price to see Frozen in the West End. But it is what it is and I'm paying it and I will also be spending plenty in a restaurant beforehand too. And I'm delighted it's here and clearly bringing plenty of folks in from around the north east and beyond. Dinnit be making me out to be a Sunlun moaner ;)

Seen it in London a few years ago and as others have said it is incredible and went beyond my expectations.

Also, everyone probably knows this but just incase, free Metro Travel if going to see a show

I have to say as shows go that aren’t your traditional shows like Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera etc, The Lion King was very spectacular (though I wouldn’t go so far as to say lavish like Le Mis or Phantom’), and very exciting and entertaining indeed. But things like the huge sets such as the mountain where a lot of the action happens, and the headpieces worn by the actors to portray the animal characters certainly gave it an air of something lavish.

Not having even seen the cartoon movie I thought the story was very fascinating. A lion cub “Simba” Is accused of killing his father (the king) by his even uncle (Scar) who was then made king to rule over a land that becomes poorer for his reign. Over time Simba grows to return to find himself and beat his Uncle who he learns killed his father and become king.

The actors were absolutely brilliant, amazing et al. Their vocal range in their singing was tremendous. The one or two local references were a very nice touch and a surprise to add to the brilliant comedy elements.

If I had to give it a rating I’d say 10/10.
Going next Saturday night 1st April. Should be canny.

Canny? It’s a great more than that.

Last edited:

Back