Line of Duty series 5

I reckon it’ll be Hastings. Think they’re double bluffing. Making it too obvious so people end up not thinking it’s him
Raises the question as to why he’s spent 4 series tightening the noose on himself when he’s ideally positioned to send them on multiple goose chases though. It would be ludicrous if it was Ted. Serious Shark jumping. He’s clearly implicated somewhere by virtue of being up there but no way is he the Chief of it all. What’s he in it for, the free refills at breakfast?

Also if H actually used his/her real surname with Dot or anyone they're a massive f***ing idiot.

Last edited:
Raises the question as to why he’s spent 4 series tightening the noose on himself when he’s ideally positioned to send them on multiple goose chases though. It would be ludicrous if it was Ted. Serious Shark jumping. He’s clearly implicated somewhere by virtue of being up there but no way is he the Chief of it all. What’s he in it for, the free refills at breakfast?

Also if H actually used his/her real surname with Dot or anyone they're a massive f***ing idiot.

And he is a mason and was mates with the retired copper paedo in series 3

And he is a mason and was mates with the retired copper paedo in series 3
Until he was outed as a paedo at which point he pursued him through multiple obstacles to finally get him, even when putting his position under threat for doing so and being told by higher ranking officials to stop.

Maaobuc connection obviously a red herring. For Ted to be heavily involved you would have to ignore more or less every other detail about him over the course of 4 series which would make it completely improbable that he is the ringleader at the centre of an operation he himself has lead to close the ring in on..um...himself.

Last edited:
.... For Ted to be heavily involved you would have to ignore more or less every other detail about him over the course of 4 series which would make it completely improbable that he is the ringleader at the centre of an operation he himself has lead to close the ring in on..um...himself.

exactly... but writer has form for leading people up a path (the so called "H") and then to do big shock factor at end of episode or series climax... this will be no different, with an eye on supposed final season next year?
so I will predict Lol (female cop) having some twist in her story for this season... and the "H" character may as well be that Tommy from the first season? - he never got convicted and nobody knows his surname... he plays golf though, probably a Mason... and could make a surprise return? ;)

final episode season 1: The evidence obtained on Tommy is never used, and he is put in the witness protection system.

Last edited:
exactly... but writer has form for leading people up a path (the so called "H") and then to do big shock factor at end of episode or series climax... this will be no different, with an eye on supposed final season next year?
so I will predict Lol (female cop) having some twist in her story for this season... and the "H" character may as well be that Tommy from the first season? - he never got convicted and nobody knows his surname... he plays golf though, probably a Mason... and could make a surprise return? ;)

final episode season 1: The evidence obtained on Tommy is never used, and he is put in the witness protection system.

Tommy Hunter?

I don't think it'll be him, or Hastings. As said if it is Hastings then the last 4 series don't really make sense.

Just binged the first 4 again as forgot what happened in most of them. Good viewing still.

Tommy Hunter?

I don't think it'll be him, or Hastings. As said if it is Hastings then the last 4 series don't really make sense.

Just binged the first 4 again as forgot what happened in most of them. Good viewing still.

never realized that the Tommy in season 1 was called Tommy Hunter!? :lol:

There's your so called H then... the writer has (see my previous thoughts on this series) dumbed this down in past 2 seasons... over stating the obvious and removing intrigue or food for thought... its like he is writing for a USA audience and you can't make things too complicated for them with their CSI type shows ;)

There's your so called H then... the writer has (see my previous thoughts on this series) dumbed this down in past 2 seasons... over stating the obvious and removing intrigue or food for thought... its like he is writing for a USA audience and you can't make things too complicated for them with their CSI type shows ;)

I’m sure it has been said a couple of times that H is a high ranking police officer, tommy hunter wasn’t. Didn’t he die though at some point anyway?

I’m sure it has been said a couple of times that H is a high ranking police officer, tommy hunter wasn’t. Didn’t he die though at some point anyway?
Yeah he was killed in series 2. Because he turned informant.

He was killed in series two so definitely won't be him!

Until he was outed as a paedo at which point he pursued him through multiple obstacles to finally get him, even when putting his position under threat for doing so and being told by higher ranking officials to stop.

Maaobuc connection obviously a red herring. For Ted to be heavily involved you would have to ignore more or less every other detail about him over the course of 4 series which would make it completely improbable that he is the ringleader at the centre of an operation he himself has lead to close the ring in on..um...himself.

A great way not to get caught is if you are leading the investigation into your group though, deliberately misguiding it.

For what it’s worth I don’t think it’s Hastings either. I’m sure when H was first mentioned a few series back they worked out there were 8 senior officers with surnames being with H, the ACC is brown bread now so it’s down to seven.

Yeah he was killed in series 2. Because he turned informant.

He was killed in series two so definitely won't be him!

Wasn’t it series 3 when Lindsay Denton got the extraction convoy ambushed?

Last edited:
No 2. 3 was the firearms Sgt who was working his way through the list of child abusers.

yep it was season 2 (the convoy and Lindsay Denton storyline)… but season 1 was from 2012 and season 2 was from 2014... however, Arnott and Kate/Lol are asked by Hastings to investigate, and visit the so called injured witness from convoy who is in hospital, yet don't mention his name or recognize him as this Tommy (Hunter), yet both had been involved with him in season one?! … its actually not until episode 3 from that season that, I quote from synopsis: "Hastings requests witness protection records from Dryden, allowing AC-12 to discover the identity of the dead witness: Tommy Hunter, the gang leader previously arrested by Tony Gates". The witness had been killed while in hospital.

So Tommy Hunter from season one goes into witness protection in 2012... then in 2014 he just happens to be witness taken in convoy during the night (ambush was not daytime) and it takes them 3 episodes to say its Tommy Hunter? - or the 'records' that Hastings is given say its Hunter but nobody has actually ID'd the body of dead witness? ;)
Not only that, but this AC12 unit only investigates cops... keep storyline going investigating all cops and H... grand finale is a non-cop (Tommy Hunter) is main person behind all corruption... i'm sticking with that ending :lol:

also a thought… Tommy Hunter for grand finale, but for this seasons finale... anybody know if Kate Fleming character (she has risen from DC to DI in rapid time) is married? or just living with her boyfriend/kids? Maiden name if married?... another H? ;)

Last edited:
yep it was season 2 (the convoy and Lindsay Denton storyline)… but season 1 was from 2012 and season 2 was from 2014... however, Arnott and Kate/Lol are asked by Hastings to investigate, and visit the so called injured witness from convoy who is in hospital, yet don't mention his name or recognize him as this Tommy (Hunter), yet both had been involved with him in season one?! … its actually not until episode 3 from that season that, I quote from synopsis: "Hastings requests witness protection records from Dryden, allowing AC-12 to discover the identity of the dead witness: Tommy Hunter, the gang leader previously arrested by Tony Gates". The witness had been killed while in hospital.

So Tommy Hunter from season one goes into witness protection in 2012... then in 2014 he just happens to be witness taken in convoy during the night (ambush was not daytime) and it takes them 3 episodes to say its Tommy Hunter? - or the 'records' that Hastings is given say its Hunter but nobody has actually ID'd the body of dead witness? ;)
Not only that, but this AC12 unit only investigates cops... keep storyline going investigating all cops and H... grand finale is a non-cop (Tommy Hunter) is main person behind all corruption... i'm sticking with that ending :lol:

also a thought… Tommy Hunter for grand finale, but for this seasons finale... anybody know if Kate Fleming character (she has risen from DC to DI in rapid time) is married? or just living with her boyfriend/kids? Maiden name if married?... another H? ;)

It can’t be her because she didn’t promote Cottan.

... and the "H" character may as well be that Tommy from the first season? - he never got convicted and nobody knows his surname... he plays golf though, probably a Mason... and could make a surprise return? ;)
Be difficult considering he got killed in a hospital room after being burned back in season 2.

Think they didn’t recognise him because his face was in bandages and third degree burned.

Line of Duty has never brought back someone who is dead. It’s not that kind of show.

I’ll raise you Tommy and say it was the lass hoyed out the window. Never saw her funeral and being dead is the perfect alibi. And it was a bad guy who threw her out the window wasn’t it, so it was all planned from the start...

It can’t be her because she didn’t promote Cottan.

I know that... the person responsible for promoting or arranging promotion of Cottan could still fit in scenario that this Tommy Hunter was not killed at all in season 2 (with nobody actually identifying the body) - it wasn't until episode 3 of season 2 that Hastings read a report claiming it was Tommy Hunter but that's a simple admin switch... :?:

I get feeling writer will have his shock moment with this season by revealing something about long running character... can't see it being Hastings (too obvious) or Arnott (we pretty much know his back story)… so Kate/Lol female cop who has risen from DC to DI in just a few year (whoever helped Cottan could now be helping her climb ladder)… of which we know little about her back story as yet? ;)

Think they didn’t recognise him because his face was in bandages and third degree burned.

Line of Duty has never brought back someone who is dead. It’s not that kind of show....

so its not a case of bringing somebody back from the dead if that person had never been killed in first place?
In season one Tommy HUnter had been looking after Cottan, and was violent enough to carry out or have carried out all the deaths... he then simply gets arrested, goes into witness protection never to be actually seen again... then 2 years later they just happen to be transporting him (Hunter) in a convoy at night? … to go where exactly? They don't need a witness in court when its not daylight or office hours - and then nobody recognizes him lying injured in hospital because he simply had bandages on? - not having that at all.
But I guess we will see

I know that... the person responsible for promoting or arranging promotion of Cottan could still fit in scenario that this Tommy Hunter was not killed at all in season 2 (with nobody actually identifying the body) - it wasn't until episode 3 of season 2 that Hastings read a report claiming it was Tommy Hunter but that's a simple admin switch... :?:

I get feeling writer will have his shock moment with this season by revealing something about long running character... can't see it being Hastings (too obvious) or Arnott (we pretty much know his back story)… so Kate/Lol female cop who has risen from DC to DI in just a few year (whoever helped Cottan could now be helping her climb ladder)… of which we know little about her back story as yet? ;)

so its not a case of bringing somebody back from the dead if that person had never been killed in first place?
In season one Tommy HUnter had been looking after Cottan, and was violent enough to carry out or have carried out all the deaths... he then simply gets arrested, goes into witness protection never to be actually seen again... then 2 years later they just happen to be transporting him (Hunter) in a convoy at night? … to go where exactly? They don't need a witness in court when its not daylight or office hours - and then nobody recognizes him lying injured in hospital because he simply had bandages on? - not having that at all.
But I guess we will see
You're probably overthinking it just a little bit.:lol:
I realise that guessing the twist in a series like this is part of the 'fun' and it is good for generating publicity for the show but I almost think it detracts when you know the writer could produce any ridiculous scenario he likes and pretty much get away with it.
In the latest episode, I still don't understand why Steve has done his own thing without telling anyone. Obviously it's a plot device but after sailing so close to the wind before, and with everyone under suspicion, you'd expect him to do it by the book.

Back