Line of Duty series 5

First time I actually felt involved in the series because Corbetts character was given some depth by wanting to make a stand. Other than that he literally did nothing other than tell everyone he hates bent coppers and calls them bent coppers. Poor use of an excellent actor.

Almost certain that Lisa is undercover and is basically doing what you’re meant to think Corbett was doing. She’s planted there by Hastings to get H but has crossed the line making him a hypocrite blah. I thought that in episode 1 though. It's gone absolutely nowhere except Maneet and Corbett dead basically for no reason.

Better episode but it's been utterly mediocre. The thrilling mystery and clever plotting of 1-3 been replaced by the contrivances of how someone spells a word.

Also LOD been excellent at treading fine lines in respect to hugely sensitive subject matter but this is the first episode where I feel they got it wrong with the livestock bit. Nasty situations involving abused women solely for the sake of creating drama and tension. Not a fan.

Couldn’t agree more. Wish they’d finish with the H storyline and move onto something fresh in the new series. Once it involves too many people it becomes implausible therefore boring in my eyes. Now it’s just turned into a killfest, rather than any logical programme which is what made it so good to begin with. Shouldn’t be trying to drag out one storyline for 5-6 series, that never ends well

First time I actually felt involved in the series because Corbetts character was given some depth by wanting to make a stand. Other than that he literally did nothing other than tell everyone he hates bent coppers and calls them bent coppers. Poor use of an excellent actor.

Almost certain that Lisa is undercover and is basically doing what you’re meant to think Corbett was doing. She’s planted there by Hastings to get H but has crossed the line making him a hypocrite blah. I thought that in episode 1 though. It's gone absolutely nowhere except Maneet and Corbett dead basically for no reason.

Better episode but it's been utterly mediocre. The thrilling mystery and clever plotting of 1-3 been replaced by the contrivances of how someone spells a word.

Also LOD been excellent at treading fine lines in respect to hugely sensitive subject matter but this is the first episode where I feel they got it wrong with the livestock bit. Nasty situations involving abused women solely for the sake of creating drama and tension. Not a fan.

People trafficking is a huge issue going on with OCGs at the minute in the UK so can see why it has been included.

I said it on Sunday but this series is definitely getting close to jumping the shark. Hopefully it picks up or it’ll be a wasted opportunity.

Even the dialogue now isn’t as good as earlier series. Nobody would suddenly be able to blurt out section number, paragraph number and legal act and be able to directly quote legislation in the middle of a conversation. It’s just bollocks.

why after going along with everything, did Corbett all of a sudden get an attack of guilt, and wanted to let the prostitutes go ? that's where I thought it went a bit daft. still a HUGE wow moment a minute or so later mind

People trafficking is a huge issue going on with OCGs at the minute in the UK so can see why it has been included.
Oh aye absolutely. But I don’t think it was done with the sensitivity required. The whole of 1-3 was about a paedophile ring but they conveyed the evil of that without showing kids in distress and screaming or hearing sounds suggesting abuse.

Last episode they touched on the horrors of trafficking when they bust the brothel. No-one needed to hear women being emotionally abused, screaming and suggesting they were being raped. Even then while that’s not pleasant I understand wanting to be explicit about it but you have to have the best of reasons to go there, but the only reason they were in the script was to set up Corbett.

That’s my issue. Line of Duty is not a serious expose of trafficking, it’s an increasingly far fetched crime drama, but they nonetheless used very disturbing and serious material to set up a far fetched plot twist. That subject matter shouldn’t be included unless you’re prepared to go somewhere serious with it, not used as artistic license.

It’s the only time LOD has gotten it wrong imo and that’s coming from someone who used to work in the Children and Families department in the police so is especially sensitive about how representations of paedo s and child abuse.

But I think they got it badly wrong nonetheless, but it’s very in keeping with LOD now. Used to be about dynamite interrogation schemes, questions of moral integrity and institutionalised corruption. This season it’s mainly about throat slitting, women screaming/in distress and angry people shouting in balaclavas.

why after going along with everything, did Corbett all of a sudden get an attack of guilt, and wanted to let the prostitutes go ? that's where I thought it went a bit daft. still a HUGE wow moment a minute or so later mind
They intercut it with shots of his wife and kids which you’ve been told throughout the series are the only thing he cares about so think they were trying to suggest that’s where his empathy came from. Curiously when he broke into a woman’s house to torture her he seemed able to turn that switch off though.

Also I knew it was something fishy because it was like how does he come back from this? No-one in the gang has done anything to suggest they would hear him out for a second after letting morality enter the equation. How was he going to explain himself? “Lads they weren't livestock it was a trap they were all BENT COPPERS”.

So Mr Whatever It Takes crumbled like a piece of Wensleydale.

The whole thing-his change in behaviour, the awful context-was just there so that at the end of the episode there would be a twist. Incredibly lazy and bad writing.

Last edited:
Oh aye absolutely. But I don’t think it was done with the sensitivity required. The whole of 1-3 was about a paedophile ring but they conveyed the evil of that without showing kids in distress and screaming or hearing sounds suggesting abuse.

Last episode they touched on the horrors of trafficking when they bust the brothel. No-one needed to hear women being emotionally abused, screaming and suggesting they were being raped. Even then while that’s not pleasant I understand wanting to be explicit about it but you have to have the best of reasons to go there, but the only reason they were in the script was to set up Corbett.

That’s my issue. Line of Duty is not a serious expose of trafficking, it’s an increasingly far fetched crime drama, but they nonetheless used very disturbing and serious material to set up a far fetched plot twist. That subject matter shouldn’t be included unless you’re prepared to go somewhere serious with it, not used as artistic license.

It’s the only time LOD has gotten it wrong imo and that’s coming from someone who used to work in the Children and Families department in the police so is especially sensitive about how representations of paedo s and child abuse.

But I think they got it badly wrong nonetheless, but it’s very in keeping with LOD now. Used to be about dynamite interrogation schemes, questions of moral integrity and institutionalised corruption. This season it’s mainly about throat slitting, women screaming/in distress and angry people shouting in balaclavas.

They intercut it with shots of his wife and kids which you’ve been told throughout the series are the only thing he cares about so think they were trying to suggest that’s where his empathy came from. Curiously when he broke into a woman’s house to torture her he seemed able to turn that switch off though.

Also I knew it was something fishy because it was like how does he come back from this? No-one in the gang has done anything to suggest they would hear him out for a second after letting morality enter the equation. How was he going to explain himself? “Lads they weren't livestock it was a trap they were all BENT COPPERS”.

The whole thing-his change in behaviour, the awful context-was just there so that at the end of the episode there would be a twist. Incredibly lazy and bad writing.

I will take your words as gospel given your working background mate ;)
all I look at it is a drama, and they are always going to get things wrong, and blow certain things out of proportion etc, I just like to sit back and enjoy the twists, turns and shock moments for what they are. it's till good tele :cool:

I will take your words as gospel given your working background mate ;)
all I look at it is a drama, and they are always going to get things wrong, and blow certain things out of proportion etc, I just like to sit back and enjoy the twists, turns and shock moments for what they are. it's till good tele :cool:
Eh there’s not much in regards to anti-corruption that crosses with what I did. And I did it about a decade ago so technology radically changed everything anyway.

I just meant that with the paedo stuff they were very sensitive and demonstrating how it ruins lives and especially how many aspects of society have been complicit in allowing it to take place or covering it up despite complaints from victims and their loved ones. They focussed on that rather than scenes of kids in peril.

Whar did we we “learn” about trafficking in this episode? That women are tricked and abused that it’s terrifying for them. Hardly insightful. You don’t need to show it happening to convey that. All of That was obvious from the scene in the last episode. Bet you anything we won’t see any screaming women again unless it’s to set up a big rescue scene where their cries are just used to ramp up the tension and make things more emotionally epic. It’s too serious an issue to use it without saying something other than “trafficking is bad”. If anything it’s worse because it’s not just that, it’s “trafficking is bad and bad people do it.” In 1-3 they pointed the finger with justified riteous indignation at the *society* that enable child abuse. Here trafficking is a bad thing done by bad people. Wow, insightful commentary.

Sad to say that the poor lad with Downs being used in the way he is is by gangs is something my wife encountered in her line of work. He’s safe now thankfully, the lad in question. But it does go on. I’m a Christian and generally anti violence in most respects but I would gladly rip that lad Ryan’s scrotum off and feed it him.

Last edited:
I said it on Sunday but this series is definitely getting close to jumping the shark. Hopefully it picks up or it’ll be a wasted opportunity.

Even the dialogue now isn’t as good as earlier series. Nobody would suddenly be able to blurt out section number, paragraph number and legal act and be able to directly quote legislation in the middle of a conversation. It’s just bollocks.

Some legislation people will be able to depending on their roles. Not quite sure why a superintendent in anti corruption would though.

Some legislation people will be able to depending on their roles. Not quite sure why a superintendent in anti corruption would though.
They kept on reiterating that he's 'a stickler for regulations' so that was no doubt to reinforce that point with a sledgehammer. Later when he does something against regulations everyone will say 'wow that's a shock as he's a stickler for regulations'. I'm almost past caring.
Jed Mercurio is beginning to turn into a one trick pony. Killing off your big name star early in the series to shock the audience and divert from all the other nonsense that has gone before it.

I've been re-watching series 1&2 inbetween this series episodes.. The difference in quality is striking, and, even though this is still really good tele.. it really isn't as good.

I was really lucky not to have discovered LoD until about 5 months ago and binged watched the whole thing very quickly. Few weeks after I’d done that I found out about the new series.

Now I’ve gone back and started series one in the middle of these because a week is just too f***ing long to wait

I was really lucky not to have discovered LoD until about 5 months ago and binged watched the whole thing very quickly. Few weeks after I’d done that I found out about the new series.

Now I’ve gone back and started series one in the middle of these because a week is just too f***ing long to wait
Exactly what I did.

Seriously never even heard of this series until the last week and I've watched every episode over the last 5 days. Absolutely class.

I really can't see it being Hastings though, I doubt he'd be living in a shitty little hotel if he was some big crime lord.

Seriously never even heard of this series until the last week and I've watched every episode over the last 5 days. Absolutely class.

I really can't see it being Hastings though, I doubt he'd be living in a shitty little hotel if he was some big crime lord.
Have you stayed in a hotel do you know how much those fuckers cost :lol: be cheaper to have a mortgage :lol:

Mercurio said the thrust of this series would be behind the scenes in the ocg for the first time rather than framed within the police setting. Hence more violence etc on display and less of the technical police stuff and interrogation etc. Don't dispute much of your observation though just pointing out the slight change of context.

Done similar myself. Not 5 days like. More like a few week.

I'd imagine Ted is working undercover to try and expose the top guy.

Or after he'd crashed that he touched it to see if the shiny f***ing slippery stuff on the road that caused his accident was oil? Like anyothernormalbastard would do.

To be honest if there were armed masked gunman who were trying to kill me the last thing on my mind would be trying to work out the coefficient of friction on a road surface, I’d just leave that for later. Like anyothernormalbastard would do.

Back