Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use iPhoto at the min because I've never done much more than basic edits really. But I went to a Lightroom talk the other night and it looks mint. I think it would solve my problem of multiple iPhoto libraries and having to merge them and also im not sure the new Apple Photos app is going to be any good if I'm honest.

Is it worth getting, even for an amateur and if I stopped paying the monthly fee would I still be able to do stuff with my photos? Also, does it like external drives? Most of my photos are on there, not my laptop hard drive.

Cheers folks.

I use iPhoto at the min because I've never done much more than basic edits really. But I went to a Lightroom talk the other night and it looks mint. I think it would solve my problem of multiple iPhoto libraries and having to merge them and also im not sure the new Apple Photos app is going to be any good if I'm honest.

Is it worth getting, even for an amateur and if I stopped paying the monthly fee would I still be able to do stuff with my photos? Also, does it like external drives? Most of my photos are on there, not my laptop hard drive.

Cheers folks.

Lightroom is excellent IMO. Great for managing photos and the develop module gets better with every release. Presets are a god-send and I hardly open up Photoshop these days.

On the monthly fee, you must be talking about Creative Cloud? I've got it and love it, but I assume if you stop paying your monthly subscription you'll lose functionality (or everyone would do it :lol:).

I'm not sure on external drives... sure someone will be along in a bit to chip in.

Cheers folks.

I got lightroom the other week but due to work I've not had a chance to use it yet. However I do know that everytime I plug in my external HDD or a USB stick lightroom fires up so I presume that you can upload photos from an external source.

Downloaded capture one pro for Sony last night. Can't believe the difference from Lightroom in terms of what the files look like from the moment you import. Capture one absolutely blows LR away!

@Icarebecauseyoudo has that hadrians wall shot gone to print cause I reworked it last night

yep, the main difference for c1 is the raw importing

not used lightroom but shop is awful in comparison

yes, the card is done, but if reprinted we can change it

I use Lightroom everyday. I'm hearing good things about Capture One as well but I've not seen anything that's made me make the switch over yet.

Lightroom likes external hard drives, yes. You can easily copy over/move entire folders to a new hard drive and you just need to tell Lightroom where one of the pictures has been moved to and it'll locate all the other ones for you.

only downside is C1 doesn't seem to regonise TIFF's. I export from LR as TIFF's to stitch in PTGui then back into LR for finishing. C1 will export but won't see the TIFF file once its been exported to finish off after stitching.

I'll post the picture I was messing about with last night to show the difference between the two later on.

only downside is C1 doesn't seem to regonise TIFF's. I export from LR as TIFF's to stitch in PTGui then back into LR for finishing. C1 will export but won't see the TIFF file once its been exported to finish off after stitching.

I'll post the picture I was messing about with last night to show the difference between the two later on.
Have you tried stitching in Capture One Ross. It links to photoshop to do the stitching then imports the file back into Capture One for editing.

Have you tried stitching in Capture One Ross. It links to photoshop to do the stitching then imports the file back into Capture One for editing.
I try to avoid PS at all costs tbh mate. Hate it. Its probably great when you get to know the in's and out's but I hate working in layers and what not. Just don't get it and haven't got the time or inclination to learn.

1:1 crops to how the difference. Guess which is which!?

Logon or register to see this image

http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/oROSSo/media/2 2_zps3ed8oloh.jpg.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back