Lightroom and Photo Shop

mickb2112

Striker
I currently tinker around with Photoshop for processing gig photos mainly to tweak colours, boost black and exposure/light etc. I really must learn how to do it properly sometime.

Anyway, someone has suggested that Lightroom is a better option.

Just wondering what other people think about using Lightroom over Photoshop.

Another gig photographer here.. i shoot RAW then use Capture One to process them.. fiddle with colour etc. I then use photoshop to retouch out any annoying objects apply any effects and make them jpgs. Capture One is pretty much the same as Lightroom as far as I can tell. There are things you can do in one application that you can't do in the other.

Last edited:
Another gig photographer here.. i shoot RAW then use Capture One to process them.. fiddle with colour etc. I then use photoshop to retouch out any annoying objects apply any effects and make them jpgs. Capture One is pretty much the same as Lightroom as far as I can tell. There are things you can do in one application that you can't do in the other.
Not heard of Capture One before. Think I`ll check it out. was struggling with some dark blue and purple lighting at Mr Big last night.

I use Camera Raw (still a relative newbie) within Photoshop and can't really see the need to switch over to Lightroom myself. I don't need a system to organise my images and I actually find Camera Raw easier to navigate around/better interface. I guess the only downside is that the amendments are saved to the original RAW/NEF file and so the next time you open it, you have to manually reset all adjustments if you want to get back to the original RAW file.

Are there any reasons why I should use Lightroom?

I use Camera Raw (still a relative newbie) within Photoshop and can't really see the need to switch over to Lightroom myself. I don't need a system to organise my images and I actually find Camera Raw easier to navigate around/better interface. I guess the only downside is that the amendments are saved to the original RAW/NEF file and so the next time you open it, you have to manually reset all adjustments if you want to get back to the original RAW file.

Are there any reasons why I should use Lightroom?
Can't speak for Nikon (or owt else) but opening a Canon RAW in Photoshop generates an .xmp file (with the same name as the file) whenever you make an adjustment to a RAW file. You can go into the folder where the image is and just delete the xmp it'll reset things back to original.

Ah
Can't speak for Nikon (or owt else) but opening a Canon RAW in Photoshop generates an .xmp file (with the same name as the file) whenever you make an adjustment to a RAW file. You can go into the folder where the image is and just delete the xmp it'll reset things back to original.
Ahh, that it does for Nikon too. I usually want the adjustments when I go back in to the file anyway but good to know. I' still a newbie to this editing malarkey.

Ah

Ahh, that it does for Nikon too. I usually want the adjustments when I go back in to the file anyway but good to know. I' still a newbie to this editing malarkey.
Lightroom I find good for batching multiple images in one go, but for the most part I prefer Camera RAW too.

Editing a batch of photos is much easier on Lightroom like.
What if each photo has different lighting though say from a gig. Lighting can go from black to bright light in a nano second. How can you process such different photos in one batch ??

What if each photo has different lighting though say from a gig. Lighting can go from black to bright light in a nano second. How can you process such different photos in one batch ??
I do pretty much 99.9% of my editing on Lightroom. I'd still just go through them one by one, it's just easier to scroll through.

Store and organise in Lightroom, if there’s anything I really want to put time in I use capture 1. Said it before but it’s night and day the difference in quality between that and LR. It’s like you’ve spent 5k extra on lenses and bodies

Store and organise in Lightroom, if there’s anything I really want to put time in I use capture 1. Said it before but it’s night and day the difference in quality between that and LR. It’s like you’ve spent 5k extra on lenses and bodies
I've heard good things like - I just like that I can get through loads of images so quickly and easily with LR.

Im with you .. i look at each image as like you say the light is different in nearly every photo...

Back