Light painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

f***ing hell, embarrassing that like, an award for that? and the paper cant even upload a half decent copy of the pic, they are just as bad as the photo.

**edit

just realised they are the same as the sunderland echo right? they always manage to get there pictures blocky like that too, why is that?

Last edited:
f***ing hell, embarrassing that like, an award for that? and the paper cant even upload a half decent copy of the pic, they are just as bad as the photo.

**edit

just realised they are the same as the sunderland echo right? they always manage to get there pictures blocky like that too, why is that?

C'mon, it's the best light painting photo I've ever seen

I like the purity, no blazing farts ;)

**edit

The Shields Gazette/Echo are the same people, pictures are always shite. I'd assume it's to encourage people to buy the paper. I just can't believe that's up for an award, even I could do better and I've seen 10x better of the same light show on here/500px etc.

Did you get anything Malmo?

Didn't manage anything the other night. Battery died on it's arse almost right away.

Thinking of making a trip to the continent in a few weeks. Might go back to Malmo but i'm open to any euro cities with fantastic buildings that are well lit at night.

If I'm trying to do an orb but also light up the foreground, is it best to 'paint' it before doing the orb or after?

If I'm trying to do an orb but also light up the foreground, is it best to 'paint' it before doing the orb or after?

One of the other lads with more experience may have differing/better ways of doing it , but when I've messed about with this kind thing we've always painted afterwards.

I don't think it would make that much difference though, both will give you decent results. If you're painting with really bright white light it may take away some of the wall reflection you get from coloured LEDs when done afterwards.. But that may be desirable if you're adding colour.

I would try both, trial and error and make a judgement on which floats your boat.

oROSSo said:

I'd do it after. It's much easier to fuck up an orb than the foreground light fill in. Get the orb right then fill in.
Orrrrrr.... Do separate shots and overlay in photoshop (use soft light blending iirc). That way you can get the orb right then experiment with different colours for fill in. Imperative of course to make sure the camera is in exactly the same place for each image.

if your using those xmas lights you posted and a lenser with a gel on the front then either way should both be ok.

I'd do it after. It's much easier to fuck up an orb than the foreground light fill in. Get the orb right then fill in.
Orrrrrr.... Do separate shots and overlay in photoshop (use soft light blending iirc). That way you can get the orb right then experiment with different colours for fill in. Imperative of course to make sure the camera is in exactly the same place for each image.
i'll have to check out how to overlay on youtube.

Thanks all for the responses. Hopefully get my lenser today, tracking says its out on the van, the torch i have been using barely does anything tbh.

The Shields Gazette/Echo are the same people, pictures are always shite. I'd assume it's to encourage people to buy the paper. I just can't believe that's up for an award, even I could do better and I've seen 10x better of the same light show on here/500px etc.
is it just me or is nearly every photo on 500px mint? only ever see good ones on my feed like..

is it just me or is nearly every photo on 500px mint? only ever see good ones on my feed like..

Editor pics iirc, there is a load of shite which you will never see. Puts me off joining up until i can produce consistently mint shots :lol: of which i havn't managed one yet.

Editor pics iirc, there is a load of shite which you will never see. Puts me off joining up until i can produce consistently mint shots :lol: of which i havn't managed one yet.
I joined but then I realised that I barely got a comment... not surprised looking at the homepage, some are unreal :lol:

I joined but then I realised that I barely got a comment... not surprised looking at the homepage, some are unreal :lol:

not being funny.. but I don't wanna shoot flowers, cats(well..) or HDR/ToneMapped so would most likely NEVER get on the homepage. :mad:

i'm on there like :cool::cool::cool:

Went out round Durham last night (as seen on flickr) I tried using my Lenser with different gels to light up trees etc but none of them came out very vividly.

Can someone give a clue as to where I'm going wrong?

I'm standing behind the camera and lighting them up from about 10 feet away with my lenser's spot beam. 1 min shutter speed and for that whole minute, lighting the object in question.

Also some of the orbs I tried, you can see my feet on the bottom. Do I need to do an orb, stop, then keep the shutter open for a little longer?

Been searching google but can't really find anything that answers my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back