Lifting Weights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankel

Winger
Lads (and lasses), looking to start lifting weights.

I literally have no clue as to where to start, machines, technique etc. Is there a decent website or PT people would recommend?

Would a gym like PureGym be good enough to start off with?

Most people would recommend that you start with a programme such as this:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I would personally recommend that you visit various gyms and find one with a squat rack as you'll need one for the programme above.

I'd then make friends with someone at the gym who knows how to do the lifts properly. Or try them yourself, video them and check that you're doing them correctly.

Any gym will probably be fine but you need to be honest with yourself about what your goals are, don't be the person who says they don't want to get bulky or look like a bodybuilder unless it's true, because 90% of people like that a lying.

But if you really don't want to make gains of any sort them find a crossfit gym and go there.....

Any gym would suffice. All will have roughly the same equipment and people available who will provide any basic advice.

PureGym has all the usual machines and weights.

I asked a similar question about 6 months ago - and was talked into 5x5 Stronglifts. I'd really recommend it too.
Its simple, fast (30 mins per workout if you crack on, 45mins max), and has a great app that not only helps you track everything with a few clicks, but also has videos showing you how to do each exercise.

And, a bit that seems useful for you, you start with an empty 20kg bar - so no agony (DOMS) the day after your first workouts! Also lets you learn what you're actually doing while there's no real weights involved.
It ramps up quickly, though.

I asked a similar question about 6 months ago - and was talked into 5x5 Stronglifts. I'd really recommend it too.
Its simple, fast (30 mins per workout if you crack on, 45mins max), and has a great app that not only helps you track everything with a few clicks, but also has videos showing you how to do each exercise.

And, a bit that seems useful for you, you start with an empty 20kg bar - so no agony (DOMS) the day after your first workouts! Also lets you learn what you're actually doing while there's no real weights involved.
It ramps up quickly, though.

Are you still doing stronglifts?

Are you still doing stronglifts?
Yes mate.

Had a couple of spells out with the shoulder and ankle problems - from falls, nothing to do with the gym. And I've had a couple of weeks away/illness etc - but mostly, I've been getting in 3 times a week as much as possible.

I think I'm going ok. I'm sure people would laugh if they knew what I was lifting, but I couldn't care less - I'm getting stronger all the time. The surprising thing is things like hamstrings and biceps, which you don't even notice you are training, are getting bigger and stronger.
My legs are massively stronger already.

Hoping to get to bodyweight deads and squats in about 8 weeks time. Overheads are a struggle though - but that just tells me how weak I was before I started. I can live with that.

the app is really excellent - you don't have to remember a single thing - it tells you exactly what to do, how much to put on the bar, how long to wait between sets. Its really "brain set to off" stuff.

Yes mate.

Had a couple of spells out with the shoulder and ankle problems - from falls, nothing to do with the gym. And I've had a couple of weeks away/illness etc - but mostly, I've been getting in 3 times a week as much as possible.

I think I'm going ok. I'm sure people would laugh if they knew what I was lifting, but I couldn't care less - I'm getting stronger all the time. The surprising thing is things like hamstrings and biceps, which you don't even notice you are training, are getting bigger and stronger.
My legs are massively stronger already.

Hoping to get to bodyweight deads and squats in about 8 weeks time. Overheads are a struggle though - but that just tells me how weak I was before I started. I can live with that.

the app is really excellent - you don't have to remember a single thing - it tells you exactly what to do, how much to put on the bar, how long to wait between sets. Its really "brain set to off" stuff.

Nice one, I remember that you had a few problems.

OHP is difficult, I have tried 5x5, 3x5, 3x8 and now I'm back to 5x5 but I have got a bit stronger.

With deadlifts I got to 1.5x body weight and then had a panic that my form was shite so I dropped it right back and I'm working back up.

To be honest this is about the 3rd stint of lifting weights over the past 3-5 years and I've kept this one going since September 2016 so it's become a bit of a habit and it's better than doing nowt.

i've looked into picking this up recently, was going to start with the 5x5 as well and i must admit, you feel like an absolute bellend with 0 weights on the bar. Like i've expected people to come over and be like, you know you've forgot to put any weights on there mate? so i had to up to 5s, then 10s, i reckon after the 10s i'll start upping in 2.5s as per 5x5.

i've looked into picking this up recently, was going to start with the 5x5 as well and i must admit, you feel like an absolute bellend with 0 weights on the bar. Like i've expected people to come over and be like, you know you've forgot to put any weights on there mate? so i had to up to 5s, then 10s, i reckon after the 10s i'll start upping in 2.5s as per 5x5.
First rule of the gym - nobody gives a fuck what you're doing and you won't give a fuck what they're doing.

Plus, tons of people have done or at least heard of 5x5SL, so people know what's going on

Lads (and lasses), looking to start lifting weights.

I literally have no clue as to where to start, machines, technique etc. Is there a decent website or PT people would recommend?

Would a gym like PureGym be good enough to start off with?

What you looking to achieve by joining a gym? Weights will certainly help but diet is the key which needs to be adjusted depending on your goals.

What you looking to achieve by joining a gym? Weights will certainly help but diet is the key which needs to be adjusted depending on your goals.
This is my next problem.

I need to lose weight AND build muscle at the same time to alleviate my back/hip problem. Cutting calories makes it hard to get the protein in, and gym sessions don't burn enough calories to lose weight on their own.

I'm not fat or skinny mate, but I have very little muscle mass.

Ideally I'd like to gain size. I'm also a long distance runner so that takes up my cardio stuff.

I literally want a plan to follow, combined with a decent eating plan. I think I might need a PT to be honest.

I'm not fat or skinny mate, but I have very little muscle mass.

Ideally I'd like to gain size. I'm also a long distance runner so that takes up my cardio stuff.

I literally want a plan to follow, combined with a decent eating plan. I think I might need a PT to be honest.

Depends on what you want mate some PT's are awful. There is a wealth of information available. Work out your Basic Metabolic Rate here http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr

Then add 500 calories a day to add muscle to add muscle. Split your diet 40% Protein 40%carbs and 20% fat as a very basic starting point. Then lift full body weights 3x a week and watch your body change shape in 6-8 weeks. It really can be that simple the key is sticking with is long term it takes time and effort to build muscle.

This is my next problem.

I need to lose weight AND build muscle at the same time to alleviate my back/hip problem. Cutting calories makes it hard to get the protein in, and gym sessions don't burn enough calories to lose weight on their own.

Lose weight first and focus on maintaining lean body mass, eat in a calorie deficit and lift heavy weights.

Last edited:
Lose weight first and focus on maintaining lean body mass, eat in a calorie deficit and lift heavy weights.
That's what I'm trying to do. Fairly certain I'm gaining muscle, but my weight has stayed the same for a few weeks now.
I want to add a little bit of extra protein but I'm worried it'll lead to weight gain. Maybe I need to tweak my diet to me more protein less carb?

That's what I'm trying to do. Fairly certain I'm gaining muscle, but my weight has stayed the same for a few weeks now.
I want to add a little bit of extra protein but I'm worried it'll lead to weight gain. Maybe I need to tweak my diet to me more protein less carb?

Drop me a message with your current diet and training mate and I'll take a look.

Drop me a message with your current diet and training mate and I'll take a look.
I don't have "a diet" to send mate. I eat whatever gets made for me 90% of the time. I occasionally plan a Als Kitchen curry, a homemade pizza or a takeaway for the other 10% :lol:

I honestly don't have the time to fuck around with diets. I barely get the time to go the gym as it is - the missus isn't very happy about my recent health kick as it means I'm out of the house more.

All I can really do is try to tweak what goes on my plate, or take a supplement. i.e. cut the carbs a bit and then have a shake. Or something.

I don't have "a diet" to send mate. I eat whatever gets made for me 90% of the time. I occasionally plan a Als Kitchen curry, a homemade pizza or a takeaway for the other 10% :lol:

I honestly don't have the time to fuck around with diets. I barely get the time to go the gym as it is - the missus isn't very happy about my recent health kick as it means I'm out of the house more.

All I can really do is try to tweak what goes on my plate, or take a supplement. i.e. cut the carbs a bit and then have a shake. Or something.

There's your problem then mate you need to be tracking what you're eating. Download MyFitnessPal and start tracking its pretty easy to do and you know where to tweak things when you don't progress.

There's your problem then mate you need to be tracking what you're eating. Download MyFitnessPal and start tracking its pretty easy to do and you know where to tweak things when you don't progress.
Tried that before - its great if you eat packaged meals, but when you cook almost everything from scratch, and make 4-5 portions at a time, its a nightmare.
And that gets back to the time issue. I don't have any.

I know I sound like an awkward get, but I know it won't work cos I've tried it. I hated doing it.

Tried that before - its great if you eat packaged meals, but when you cook almost everything from scratch, and make 4-5 portions at a time, its a nightmare.
And that gets back to the time issue. I don't have any.

I know I sound like an awkward get, but I know it won't work cos I've tried it. I hated doing it.

Its easy mate takes 2 seconds just quickly weigh what goes into the food. Do you eat the same things most weeks?

If you really can't be arsed an easy solution is cutting carbs you'll drop weight that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back