Life on Mars

Rewatched Life On Mars again recently and rewatching Ashes to Ashes now. LOM is class, especially Gene. First time I’ve rewatched Ashes to Ashes all the way through for years and I’ve found it hit and miss, some episodes very good on par with LOM but others not so - and it’s a lot cheesier at times than LOM ever was. It gets better each series like, I’m just up to the second episode of the third and final series with Jim Keats now.

Rewatched Life On Mars again recently and rewatching Ashes to Ashes now. LOM is class, especially Gene. First time I’ve rewatched Ashes to Ashes all the way through for years and I’ve found it hit and miss, some episodes very good on par with LOM but others not so - and it’s a lot cheesier at times than LOM ever was. It gets better each series like, I’m just up to the second episode of the third and final series with Jim Keats now.

Aye Daniel Mays took the show up a notch playing Keats. Brilliant actor

Sam never showed any interest in football outside of that episode where they're infiltrating a Man Utd hooligan group. He did, though, talk about the Grand National.

I liked Life on Mars but could get away with Ashes to Ashes.

Funny you say that because I was exactly the same and pied ashes off about two episodes in first time around when it was first on.

I went back to it on Netflix as lockdown started and binge watched the whole lot in a week. It was excellent imo.

Funny you say that because I was exactly the same and pied ashes off about two episodes in first time around when it was first on.

I went back to it on Netflix as lockdown started and binge watched the whole lot in a week. It was excellent imo.

I watched it all the way through but just didn't enjoy it as much as Life on Mars.

I loved Life on Mars, I rewatched it all too back in April. Set in 1973 which helps! Watched Ashes to Ashes also, with the lovely Keeley Hawes.

Trivia: Liz White who plays plays WPC Annie Cartwright was Neville's secretary in Auf Wiedershen Pet Series 3.

Bloody hell , just realised that now you've said it.
I never watched it first time round. Should I?

Yes, give it a watch. Very good. Gene Hunt is brilliant

Last edited:
I imagine the likes of Life on Mars and The Sweeney are very close to the way Police conducted investigations in the early 70's.

Back