Life insurance - Cancer Question

Keawyeds

Striker
Afternoon all,

I need to get life insurance.
Pretty straightforward you'd think, but muggins here had liver cancer when he was a baby. Not the best start but there we go. That was a long time ago now and thankfully I've been in remission for over 30 years.
Feels a bit weird to type that.

Anywho, despite this, it turns out I'll need to get a different kind of life insurance to the rest of you and I just wondered if there were any others on here in a similar position who may be able to suggest any good providers.
I need to speak to Macmillan as they can advise apparently but their phoneline shut at 6 last night so I thought I'd ask on here first before trying again.
If any of you would prefer to send a message rather than reply, I'll clear my inbox just in case.

This is question for anyone with it already, if you have a policy, what did you go for? Would you recommend "Whole of Life" or "Fixed Term" policy?

Just remember that insurance companies are there to help them....not us.
They will take as much as they can bleed out of a person and find every loophole/reason not to pay out when the time to pay out hits them.

Basically what I'm saying is, make absolutely 100% sure the insurance you get covers you for what you ask for and ensure you read all the small print and get everything logged so they can't weasel out of anything.

Afternoon all,

Pretty straightforward you'd think, but muggins here had liver cancer when he was a baby. Not the best start but there we go. That was a long time ago now and thankfully I've been in remission for over 30 years.

Anywho, despite this, it turns out I'll need to get a different kind of life insurance to the rest of you and I just wondered if there were any others on here in a similar position who may be able to suggest any good providers.
I need to speak to Macmillan as they can advise apparently but their phoneline shut at 6 last night so I thought I'd ask on here first before trying again.
If any of you would prefer to send a message rather than reply, I'll clear my inbox just in case.

This is question for anyone with it already, if you have a policy, what did you go for? Would you recommend "Whole of Life" or "Fixed Term" policy?

You should be able to get life insurance but potentially not critical illness. Give me a shout if you need any help. I’m a financial adviser and I can have a ring round all the providers for you.

Just remember that insurance companies are there to help them....not us.
They will take as much as they can bleed out of a person and find every loophole/reason not to pay out when the time to pay out hits them.

Basically what I'm saying is, make absolutely 100% sure the insurance you get covers you for what you ask for and ensure you read all the small print and get everything logged so they can't weasel out of anything.

Tbf life assurance is one area where the insurers nearly always pay out.

If you’ve not been honest with them when applying then they of course they would look at denying the claim.

Tbf life assurance is one area where the insurers nearly always pay out.

If you’ve not been honest with them when applying then they of course they would look at denying the claim.
Aye I agree in most cases.
All I'm saying is, anyone taking insurance out who have had or have health issues, need to make absolutely sure it's all logged and acknowledged by the insurer so as not to create a get out clause for that insurer when the time comes for them to have to pay out.

I keep getting those over 50's insurance plans and it says for £5 a month I can be insured for £1700 or something like that. Plus you get a £70 gift voucher. Anyway it's on those lines.
It got me thinking...... £5 a month over a year is £60. Over 20 years it's £1200 and close to 30 years it's £1800 which would get me to near 85 and all they get is their money back, less the gift voucher. :rolleyes:

Unless I'm missing something, it seems dodgy as hell.
Can anyone put me right?

Afternoon all,

I used to be a financial adviser and from my admittedly out of date experience childhood cancer 30 years in remission shouldn't be to much of a problem for life insurance. If you're in your 30's and want a high level of cover whole life might run expensive so level term would bring the price down or even income benefit ( which pays an annual income on death for a specific period but obviously reduces in risk for the insurer) if its family protection you're after. I'm sure one of our IFAs will give you more up to date specific advice.

Aye I agree in most cases.
All I'm saying is, anyone taking insurance out who have had or have health issues, need to make absolutely sure it's all logged and acknowledged by the insurer so as not to create a get out clause for that insurer when the time comes for them to have to pay out.

I keep getting those over 50's insurance plans and it says for £5 a month I can be insured for £1700 or something like that. Plus you get a £70 gift voucher. Anyway it's on those lines.
It got me thinking...... £5 a month over a year is £60. Over 20 years it's £1200 and close to 30 years it's £1800 which would get me to near 85 and all they get is their money back, less the gift voucher. :rolleyes:

Unless I'm missing something, it seems dodgy as hell.
Can anyone put me right?

It’s a gamble that you’re going to die before you’ve paid in less than the policy will pay out.

I’d just put away £5/£10 a month personally but I can see how people get sucked in with free pens and Michael Parkinson.

Back