Life in the universe

I remember a programme on that. The normal state of events is that the gas giants are closest to the star. It was almost a comedy of errors that led to our Goldilocks planet.

Yep. Jupiter was on the way in towards the Sun, on an absolutely rampage, and would've got shot of all the rocks which allowed the Earth to form in the way it did. But Saturn was born, and pulled Jupiter back just as it was about to clatter Mars.

Just saying your title says "universe" and should be more precise in saying solar system......to put it into context light travelling from jupiter to the earth takes just 33 mins, the furthest observable object light has been travelling 13 billion years

Goes to show how tiny our solar system is in comparison
It also takes an additional approx 40 minutes to even get to Jupiter from the sun.

It also takes an additional approx 40 minutes to even get to Jupiter from the sun.

Indeed, but in the grand scale of the universe its tiny! The observable universe being 93billion light years across.......which is nothing short of mindboggling when you think about it........ light travelling at 299 792km per second would take 93billion years to traverse from one side to another

Indeed, but in the grand scale of the universe its tiny! The observable universe being 93billion light years across.......which is nothing short of mindboggling when you think about it........ light travelling at 299 792km per second would take 93billion years to traverse from one side to another
This is something I can't get my head around. If the universe is about 14 billion years old, how has it expanded to 93 billion light years across ? It hasn't had long enough, assuming nothing can travel ftl.

This is something I can't get my head around. If the universe is about 14 billion years old, how has it expanded to 93 billion light years across ? It hasn't had long enough, assuming nothing can travel ftl.
I think the initial expansion “bang” was instantaneously enormous wasn’t it? And then it has just continued to expand in all directions and from all points since then, and is in fact accelerating rather than the expected slowing due to the gravity of the mass within it. Which led to the theory of a Dark Matter and Energy.

Back