Level you played at/ Level you should have played at.

Was asked to train with Hartlepool but as it coincided with Horden Labour club disco, chasing fanny took precedence
However did continue to have an illustrious career as semi pro culminating in a Team from Melbourne taking me on a sports visa
Sounds like you were semi pro at getting a semi over the lasses. Good lad.
Wtf are you on about?
Footy
Err... 5 foot 1 and a half thank you very much.

And you don't need height to have a reasonable long distance throw and to be able to hit a ball and not get out!

(Actually I was about 5ft7 when I went into local league cricket!)

And I hate Horses!

I wasn't bad at Snooker either. Played a bit with mates and I was the best of us hands down, and entered a few competitions, always just outside the top players. "Best of the rest" almost. Unfortunately to be good at Snooker you need a lot of time to practice and coaching. Not something I had either of.
We’re you in the falklands by any chance and had 5 foot ( in metric measurement) blown off your legs by a mine or something. Just wondered how you lost that height.
Did you miss the bit where I said I play like I’ve never seen a football before?

I wouldn’t want to play competitively - 5 aside on a Thursday night and Saturday morning in my 20s was fine with me. Now I’m in my 30s I’m happy with gym sessions on my Todd.
I think golf might suit you.
Rugby at Level 8 on a Saturday and then pub team on Sunday morning - our coach on the Sunday was David Moyes. He ended up managing a few leagues above like
Did you get relegated

Last edited:

It was always a toss up Between drums and football and I tried to do both…naturally gifted at drums (apparently) and played Sunday league…had I chosen to practice football more I’d have maybe gone higher, got told many at time I had a ‘wand of a left foot…’ but was never fast nor probably aggressive enough…didn’t score many goals but they were usually worldys…😂
Banged them in.

Leeds academy about 14 years ago. Tore my cartilage at 16, couldn't be bothered with the physio so when it was 'healed' I tore it straight again. Fucked it off after that but my knee is totally fucked. Could have had a knee replacement at 25 due to 'severe degeneration', fissuring, all sorts of shit. 30 now and still playing but for West Yorkshire Police team waiting for it to blow.

I'd never have made it to any decent level mind - just never dedicated to it at a younger age and always a confidence player which I never had. Always thought the 21 other players on the pitch were better so hampered me massively. Now I regret not working harder at it when I was younger. 16 year old me was a right c.unt.
Have you ever met David Icke and what is your opinion of him. I heard he was canny in goal.

Played fullback in the Wearside League aged 18yrs, 1968, only got 8 games then very nicely told that I wasnt good enough. I had the fitness and stamina no doubt, read the game very well, good control and strongest point was tackling. No pace let me down.

played under 18's from age of 15. Highlight of that was a game George Wardle fixed up for us to play under floodlights at Ayresome Park against his full Boro Youth team. Stan Anderson was watching. Wardle had predicted they would hammer us. We won, even though they put a fresh 11 players out for second half. I marked a lad who had played for the first team and did well against him. Didnt think he was that good.

Banged them in.
I think by saying practice football would have me lean towards thinking drums are your forte. Did you know there was once a drummer who had one arm. It’s true and he’s better than me with two arms. I find stuff like that fascinating
Did a really good pirouette turn ala Zidane once. The lad I did it against is probably still searching where I went. If they were judges on the sidelines it would have scored 6's across the board.
Other than that I was quite decent but no where near good enough to progress past Sunday football
Can I ask a serious question. Do you have nice hair

Played Russel foster leagues at youth level, was ok, started central midfield as captain, played in goal next season then anywhere across the back four for the last 4-5 years

started playing for the pub team as centre half and captain, tore my knee ligaments a week before the season started, haven’t kicked a ball in anger since but typically I’d improved loads when the injury happened, was a much better player than I used to be.

do you work for West Yorkshire police also.
(sorry, had to ask)
If he doesn’t I think his registration might get cancelled if the local West Yorkshire police football i fraud investigation team get involved.
Grew up in Grimsby and represented the county (Humberside as it was then) twice in tournaments aged around 10/11. Turns out my old gaffer - a weirdo even back then - was a paedo Iron bosses knew football coach Geoff Broome was a paedophile
Seems a bit fishy
Watched when in Hetton Youth league but didnt get picked up , close but no cigar. Few clubs were watching a left winger for Coles cranes but I marked him out of game but injured for few games a bit later .Straight to Wearside and spell in NL at 17/18 but missed games at RP so just played CIU on Sundays mainly. Had a spell with all my mates when Silksworth formed in Wearside league years ago for a few year but again missed matches so just played for the Barnes on Sundays.

So injury, drink and watching lads
I think I might have played against you if memory correct and I won all those games while scoring about 6 goals.

Last edited:
I think by saying practice football would have me lean towards thinking drums are your forte. Did you know there was once a drummer who had one arm. It’s true and he’s better than me with two arms. I find stuff like that fascinating

Can I ask a serious question. Do you have nice hair
Rick Allen Def Leppard.

Sunday league for me but I always thought I could do better and come 24 years old I give it up for work.
forgot to say as I youngun i played county football and played in a tournament in Germany where we got beat off cologne boys in the final on pennas
Isn’t cologne a kind of perfume for trendy men. Seems odd playing against erm smelly spray.

Rick Allen Def Leppard.
So it was. I used to think it was mad having a drummer with one arm in a def band.
I’m similar, it’s like my foot is allergic to the ball.

It’s the taking part that counts.
You should have went in goal
I used to cover every blade of grass on the pitch - my skills were, rightly, compared to the lad that drove the lawnmower.....

Sunday league was my level - I've got a decent left foot and can pick a pass but was too slow over distance and a bit lightweight.

Still play 5 a side now and again but only to make up numbers but I struggle to walk the next day.
Sounds like you were pretty awful as a player. It makes me feel good when I hear stories like yours as it hammers home how lucky I was to have been blesses with such grand football skills.

Last edited:
I did. As effective as 1 square of budget toilet roll.
Did you ever take toilet roll to the match and if so did you throw it towards the pitch. Looks really nice when lots of fans do it but when only one does it I have to say it’s with a lesser effect.
Played in the russell foster top league as a kid and for the school teams but was never scouted. Despite being a massive football fan I never really enjoyed it, felt so much pressure that I put on myself and my dad put on me. Stopped playing at 17 ,18. Had some phases of playing 5 a side since which I enjoyed more and played some good stuff . Don't think I would ever have been good enough to make it. I probably had enough athleticism to make it as a pro but not the highest level. I had good vision and technique. Lacked the mental side of things though, was one footed and probably wasn't suited to team sport.
I think I might know who you are. Can I ask if you were actually that lad who was really 25 years old who played in the Russell foster u13 league as you looked very young. You were caught and all of your trophies had to be handed back including your under 9 player of the season award. I shall let the posters on here do the maths

Last edited:
Did you ever take toilet roll to the match and if so did you throw it towards the pitch. Looks really nice when lots of fans do it but when only one does it I have to say it’s with a lesser effect.
Took it from the bogs in the ground after locking the door and climbing over the top of the toilet wall. Had to stop doing that when they started using one sheet stuff. Was glad to be honest because it was getting hard climbing in my 50s.

There will be a lot out there tbh. I know a few aswell. Cigs being a big issue up here aswell.
If I had never discovered brown ale as a 17 year old then I have no doubt that I would have captained England and won a World Cup.
Took it from the bogs in the ground after locking the door and climbing over the top of the toilet wall. Had to stop doing that when they started using one sheet stuff. Was glad to be honest because it was getting hard climbing in my 50s.
I think at your age you should consider finding a really good mate who would be willing to give to a bunk up

Last edited:
Remember Piston who claimed he was an England international
I seem to recall biggie (?) saying he made a million from playing professional football as well. Absolute fantasist.

Just Sunday league for me. Played to county level at school. Technically very good but zero application and weak as piss. I'm exactly the same today as well. A Poundland Berbatov. I'm close to packing in the regular 5aside as well as I'm just not enjoying it much these days.

Back