Letters, the Metro, roadsigns and Margaret Calvert

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

Last edited by a moderator:

Caught an interview with her the other day. She told some good stories about the designs, eg why a girl leads a smaller boy across the road, and also collaborated with Banksy on his road signs.

Caught an interview with her the other day. She told some good stories about the designs, eg why a girl leads a smaller boy across the road, and also collaborated with Banksy on his road signs.
Yea I saw that. I had no idea she’d designed the Metro typeface, which I’ve always loved. There’s just something about her work. I wonder why she’s never been made a dame or owt like that. She’s as great a designer as Jon Ives of iPhone fame.

Yea I saw that. I had no idea she’d designed the Metro typeface, which I’ve always loved. There’s just something about her work. I wonder why she’s never been made a dame or owt like that. She’s as great a designer as Jon Ives of iPhone fame.
She is one of the few female iconic designers we teach about in the GCSE syllabus.

That’s great to hear
I think it’s because I’ve got young two daughters but I try to concentrate more on female designers. :lol:

Zaha Hadid is not on the syllabus but spend some time looking at her work at A level. Some of her buildings are outstanding

we need a lot more females going into design and engineering careers.

I think it’s because I’ve got young two daughters but I try to concentrate more on female designers. :lol:

Zaha Hadid is not on the syllabus but spend some time looking at her work at A level. Some of her buildings are outstanding

we need a lot more females going into design and engineering careers.
We do. And we need to hear about them too. There’s this strange phenomenon that women’s work can disappear from the public record/discourse. Calvert should be a household name up there with the greatest British designers of the 20th/21st century but she’s not. She’s a naturally modest woman, that came across in her interview (she was slightly overawed by working with Banksy when she’s at least his equal in terms of talent and achievement!). We need to teach young girls it’s OK to say “I did this” and that there’s a way of doing that without coming across as big headed or arrogant.

I see the metro logo and signage as function and bold more than interesting. It’s colours yellow and black are garish are easy to spot, which is it’s function, I guess the road signage are the same but are seen a bit more classic, maybe because they’re recognised nationally?

I've no idea what it takes to receive the various honours but she has been recognised with an OBE.

Back