Letter to FTECB

I'm not a conspiracy type (usually) but I'm half convinced the Hundred is primarily happening because some people can make a lot of cash from it, Harrison is doing well on ECB earning alone. Same of football and the Premier League.
I wouldn't argue against this. We have a fantastic 3 hour tournament called The Blast. It can be hawked around FTA TV stations with a deal being signed (and seen by all as well as appearing on SKY). It lasts for 5 weeks with 40-odd televised games. If it is played when England don't, this adds to its quality. I wonder what other countries think about 'The Hundred'.

I wouldn't argue against this. We have a fantastic 3 hour tournament called The Blast. It can be hawked around FTA TV stations with a deal being signed (and seen by all as well as appearing on SKY). It lasts for 5 weeks with 40-odd televised games. If it is played when England don't, this adds to its quality. I wonder what other countries think about 'The Hundred'.
Really was that easy, the year is 2020 anyway, thats a marketing open goal right there. If it was played and England players were allowed to play then it would put 1000s on the gate and if it’s on the BBC the new audience would have grounds close enough to go to, after getting a taste on tv.

Also it would have the added attraction of not upsetting the 95% of current cricket attendees and insulting their intelligence.

It’s always the same with new audience fads, they drift away and it’s the regulars that pick up the tab.

George Dobbel (sp) is onto the FTECB. His columns are a fantastic read wherever he posts them

His column in this months cricketer magazine is a classic takedown of an old school reporter who had criticised our modern in the previous months issue

Never seen it done so stylishly brutal as he does in the article

Agreed. He ripped Loughbrough to shreds a few months ago too.

Really was that easy, the year is 2020 anyway, thats a marketing open goal right there. If it was played and England players were allowed to play then it would put 1000s on the gate and if it’s on the BBC the new audience would have grounds close enough to go to, after getting a taste on tv.

Also it would have the added attraction of not upsetting the 95% of current cricket attendees and insulting their intelligence.

It’s always the same with new audience fads, they drift away and it’s the regulars that pick up the tab.
Imagine a DCCC T20 team for example with 4 overseas and our England players - Short, Steel, Bancroft, Stokes, Latham, Handscomb, Eckersley, Raine, Carse, Trevaskis, Wood. Why not? 8 games, 4 home games packed out.

Imagine a DCCC T20 team for example with 4 overseas and our England players - Short, Steel, Bancroft, Stokes, Latham, Handscomb, Eckersley, Raine, Carse, Trevaskis, Wood. Why not? 8 games, 4 home games packed out.
I agree. I feel lucky to have watched Ben Stokes graduate through Durham but imo he will never play at CLS again in a Durham shirt.

Thanks to the FTECB who wouldn’t let him bowl in our last quarter final and even more so in the final when we had northhants 9 for 3

Any north east lad or lass wanting to see him play live will have to go to headingley if they are fortunate

I agree. I feel lucky to have watched Ben Stokes graduate through Durham but imo he will never play at CLS again in a Durham shirt.

Thanks to the FTECB who wouldn’t let him bowl in our last quarter final and even more so in the final when we had northhants 9 for 3

Any north east lad or lass wanting to see him play live will have to go to headingley if they are fortunate

I feel immensely proud to have witnessed his maiden FC hundred.

It’s so frustrating that there’s no chance at all of seeing him properly contribute for Durham on a regular basis.

I feel immensely proud to have witnessed his maiden FC hundred.

It’s so frustrating that there’s no chance at all of seeing him properly contribute for Durham on a regular basis.
It’s terrible really. All england players wrapped in cotton wool but the FTECB want a new audience to come and see the likes of Gayle lumber around not giving a shit.

Was has been disquieting in the last couple of Championship games at The Riverside is the amount of regulars who attend who are seriously questioning whether to renew their membership for next season citing the ridiculous scheduling, the reduction of CC home games to 7, the pathetic no toss rule, plus the rumour that the 50 over games are not only being downgraded but are going to be played away from The Riverside.

I should point out that I'm not talking about the professional moaners who complain if theres a ha'penny put on a cup of tea but DCCC members who work and spend their holidays,TOIL etc attempting to watch cricket.

As has been said before the FTECB must be the only sports governing body who seem to hate the sport they are in charge of.
Exactly. Monday starts?!!

Exactly. Monday starts?!!

It seems as though they’d found a solution for the best future of the Championship by starting games on Sundays. At the time of that announcement they said they’d consulted with players, management and members and that was the best practice to go with.

It appears now they’ve abandoned that idea and the only logical answer I have for it is that they’re prioritising all other cricket over the CC.

Call me a cynic, but I can’t trust FTECB one iota at present. Mental to think I actually despise the bastards MORE now than when they demoted us.

I will be watching and hoping it does succeed as it will be good for the game but already in terms of having no english coaches it doesnt seem to aim at improving our homegrown. All the games being televised will have a massive impact on how people enjoy it
Thing is Ed, will those watching be inspired by the likes of Gayle playing as if he doesn’t give a shit, especially in the field?

I can’t see how English cricket and the test side will be improved by England players not playing but sitting in studios being interviewed.

Then there is the geography involved where huge areas of the country, will have to travel 200 mile round trips to get to a ground.

Said elsewhere, I cannot see Ben Stokes ever playing for Durham again in any format, that’ll inspire the new audience in the north east

Thing is Ed, will those watching be inspired by the likes of Gayle playing as if he doesn’t give a shit, especially in the field?

I can’t see how English cricket and the test side will be improved by England players not playing but sitting in studios being interviewed.

Then there is the geography involved where huge areas of the country, will have to travel 200 mile round trips to get to a ground.

Said elsewhere, I cannot see Ben Stokes ever playing for Durham again in any format, that’ll inspire the new audience in the north east
With the greatest respect the lads not playing are simply not good enough, there is after all alot of shit playing in the county game due to the number of teams, the lads knocking on the england door or with potential will get to play against the elite something that unless they are in the england setup that are unlikely to get the opportunity to do. Chris Gayle is just one player the majority will be very professional particularly when good money is on offer.
I genuinely think it will be bad for the game. Aptly there’s probably a hundred reasons why too.
There is no doubt there are negatives to it but ultimately cricket has been declining in this country for years, this comp has the ability to change all that, I mean what event bar internationals have we had allowed us to pick a team then watch every game of theres from start to finish that is based in the uk.

Last edited:
With the greatest respect the lads not playing are simply not good enough, there is after all alot of shit playing in the county game due to the number of teams, the lads knocking on the england door or with potential will get to play against the elite something that unless they are in the england setup that are unlikely to get the opportunity to do. Chris Gayle is just one player the majority will be very professional particularly when good money is on offer.

There is no doubt there are negatives to it but ultimately cricket has been declining in this country for years, this comp has the ability to change all that, I mean what event bar internationals have we had allowed us to pick a team then watch every game of theres from start to finish that is based in the uk.

I am not sure how it will go and definitely have reservations about both ‘the hundred’ and the blast in the same season.

However I fully agree cricket has been declining in this country and anything to try and change that and get more participation it is a good thing.

I think we should at least see how it goes, although most seem to be crucifying before one game has even been played!

Sure f***ing hope so. In fact, I hope FTECB go bust. Fuck them. Let the PCA run cricket.

I agree in principal but in reality it would be a disaster if the 100 and the Ecb failed

I’m totally against it but if it fails it will help nobody

They’ve bet the house on this, wrongly, and if it fails we are all fucked

Don’t agree with this

The T20 blast is a far far higher standard than bash like

They have club cricketers often playing and barely get international players for any time

People too easy to knock this game

It consistently produces world class players

We’ve just won the World Cup, county cricket porduced all the players, bar arguably archer although he developed there

Last edited:

Back