Letter from Brian Clough

The three worst things to happen to our great club... the bung/payments bollocks in 1957..they were all at it ....the refusal of the board to appoint mr big heed as boss and the day those three shits took ownership of our great club ........of all of those cockups i think not signing clough in the mid seventies was the biggest mistake of them all .i think we would have become big enough to survive his decline and would be a top six club now............................sad days and the lament of what could have been...nothing to see here younguns just the maudline rememberings of an old fekka ..move on!
I’d add appointing Mackemenemy and Di Canio to those 3

Brilliant letter. Bitter sweet ... he did play again ... albeit three times and scored in a First Division game. Proves how determined he was to overcome adversity - no doubt he received every encouragement, in particular from the highly regarded J Watters but there would gave even nothing like the modern help today's pampered players receive.

The three worst things to happen to our great club... the bung/payments bollocks in 1957..they were all at it ....the refusal of the board to appoint mr big heed as boss and the day those three shits took ownership of our great club ........of all of those cockups i think not signing clough in the mid seventies was the biggest mistake of them all .i think we would have become big enough to survive his decline and would be a top six club now............................sad days and the lament of what could have been...nothing to see here younguns just the maudline rememberings of an old fekka ..move on!
I thought the club were already in decline before the payments scandal broke. I go back to the cup win - failure to build on ... no players signed in summer of '73 and promotion not a priority.

Admired him as a manager and his achievements, but not as a person. Didn't like the way he spoke to people on the few occasions i saw him being interviewed.

Though he does come over well in that letter. Not sure if i saw him play. I started going to the match about 1963 and can't remember much about who was currently in the team.

Just checked on Wiki. I may have seen him but don't remember.

Admired him as a manager and his achievements, but not as a person. Didn't like the way he spoke to people on the few occasions i saw him being interviewed.

Though he does come over well in that letter. Not sure if i saw him play. I started going to the match about 1963 and can't remember much about who was currently in the team.

Just checked on Wiki. I may have seen him but don't remember.

I loved his interviews. His arrogance was class. Nobody else could’ve carried that off like he did.
Loved the one where he absolutely rinsed John Motson.

I remember when we were struggling to avoid relegation to the old third division for the first time, it was rumoured Cloughie had offered to loan us his son Nigel for the last few months of that season to help us fight relegation, even though Nigel Clough was doing well in the top flight.

As I asked Cloughie for his autograph at a talk in at Gateshead Leisure Centre around that time, I also asked him why he had offered us Nigel on loan.

He simply replied "Because I love your club".

We (Cowie?) turned down the loan of course and the rest is history.

Back