Let's get together behind Ross and Grigg

Keep the ball on the floor and we can get behind him and Ross. Grigg will not score goals unless we keep the ball on the floor and pass forward through the middle of the pitch - not out wide
Way too much time is wasted, when the ball is passed out wide, then back across to the midfield, who then knock it back to the defence, who then pass it to the midfield . . . .
I wouldn't mind this, if we were leading the game, and in injury time were running the clock down, but during the game, our passing needs to be crisper and accurate, along the deck.
We rarely see a defence splitting pass along the deck, for our forwards to run on to, and be in a one on one situation, against the opposition keeper.

grigger's stew's secret shame, wiggy had his pants down and he took it to the hilt mate. now we're sufferin because of it but will stew let the dour jock peddle him at a loss. doubt it.

Full of clichés. He’s not very good, he doesn’t go looking for the ball and his attitude /body language is crap. He should take a leaf out of Wyke’s book and he might eventually find the back of the net.

Anybody with any idea can see Grigg has a touch of real quality about him , but he receives zero service from our midfield.

He never runs behind, never gets between defenders, he never finds space, he never gets in front of his man in the box. How exactly is anyone supposed to feed him this service that he never gets?

We’ve barely created 1 chance in 180 minutes of league football this season. Agree Grigg needs to do more but it’s down to the manager to set them up to look competent going forward too.

They don’t look drilled at the back and they have no patterns of attack. That’s fixed in training

Grigg will probably start scoring loads of goals and everyone on here will be praising him.

I’m sure every Sunderland fan would love for this to happen. I don’t want us to be crap. I’d love us to win the next 20 games straight and to be able to praise jack Ross for being a great manager. Problem is that it just isn’t very likely. I turn up and support whoever’s on the pitch during the 90 minutes, as does our entire support, and there is very rarely much dissent during the game shown at all. I think Ross and the team have been incredibly lucky with the amount of slack they’ve been given so far from the fans - can you forget how Bruce, for instance, was basically sacked by the fans in that Wigan game?

I think the fans have been extremely tolerant so far. One of the key differences is that whilst we are competing near the top, albeit not as far up as we need to be, the quality in this squad will win games on its own. Not all of them, but enough to buy goodwill with the fans.
We’ve barely created 1 chance in 180 minutes of league football this season. Agree Grigg needs to do more but it’s down to the manager to set them up to look competent going forward too.

They don’t look drilled at the back and they have no patterns of attack. That’s fixed in training

This is the crux of it. Yes, we looked a bit better in the cup, but we still hardly created 100 chances and it wasn’t really until we went ahead the second time and they had to chase the game that we really opened them up.

I had a neutral friend in attendance for Accrington and he was even getting frustrated watching us. One of his comments was that you cannot tell what team we are trying to be. One CB will be trying to pass it out whilst the other will play it long. The CMs will be trying to thread it wide to cross and the wingers will be cutting inside. And we had phases of several minutes where the teams tactics appeared to transition from keep ball to long ball and vice versa. The team look very confused on the pitch at times

Last edited:
I’m sure every Sunderland fan would love for this to happen. I don’t want us to be crap. I’d love us to win the next 20 games straight and to be able to praise jack Ross for being a great manager. Problem is that it just isn’t very likely. I turn up and support whoever’s on the pitch during the 90 minutes, as does our entire support, and there is very rarely much dissent during the game shown at all. I think Ross and the team have been incredibly lucky with the amount of slack they’ve been given so far from the fans - can you forget how Bruce, for instance, was basically sacked by the fans in that Wigan game?

I think the fans have been extremely tolerant so far. One of the key differences is that whilst we are competing near the top, albeit not as far up as we need to be, the quality in this squad will win games on its own. Not all of them, but enough to buy goodwill with the fans.

This is the crux of it. Yes, we looked a bit better in the cup, but we still hardly created 100 chances and it wasn’t really until we went ahead the second time and they had to chase the game that we really opened them up.

I had a neutral friend in attendance for Accrington and he was even getting frustrated watching us. One of his comments was that you cannot tell what team we are trying to be. One CB will be trying to pass it out whilst the other will play it long. The CMs will be trying to thread it wide to cross and the wingers will be cutting inside. And we had phases of several minutes where the teams tactics appeared to transition from keep ball to long ball and vice versa. The team look very confused on the pitch at times
How can you compare the run of losses Bruce had prior to being sacked to to JRs record ?

How can you compare the run of losses Bruce had prior to being sacked to to JRs record ?

Because they are both underachieving to the same degree. This is precisely why my comment was made about it being harder to sack someone at the top end of the table than at the bottom. They were both about 3-4 positions lower than they needed to be and both about 1 win in 5 games away from where they need to be. Fact is that Bruce didn’t need to win every game in the premier league to be a success, jack Ross kind of does. Expectations are totally different but they are comparable positions on the virtue of both significantly underachieving

Because they are both underachieving to the same degree. This is precisely why my comment was made about it being harder to sack someone at the top end of the table than at the bottom. They were both about 3-4 positions lower than they needed to be and both about 1 win in 5 games away from where they need to be. Fact is that Bruce didn’t need to win every game in the premier league to be a success, jack Ross kind of does. Expectations are totally different but they are comparable positions on the virtue of both significantly underachieving
But Bruce was 2 1/2 yrs in when he self destructed , Ross has had one season and given the train wreck he inherited I would argue he hasn’t failed at all, only pressure is that coming from impatient fans like yourself who cannot where we are and what it is going to take to get us out of this.

Back