Lesser known facts about Sunderland and its people

Please tell me you have no knowledge or interest in ancient stained glass or churches. It would make that interview so much better.
Aye, none at all. I just asked them a question about the monkwearmouth/jarra connection. A producer emailed me & asked if I'd be willing record some stuff for broadcast.

Joseph Conrad, who wrote Heart of Darkness on which Apocalypse now is based on, sailed on the Sunderland built Torrens.

He worked on the Tyne colliers for a while.
Extraordinary stat, have you got a link or something to cite?

Not to hand but I'm sure it's correct. Our league title under Edward VIII is the clincher, then the two cups under George and Liz.

Last edited:
1st stained glass windows in the UK at St Peter's 675AD iirc
Great shout mate. Earlier glass has been found but it was brought over by the Romans. Biscop brought glaziers from Gaul to wearmouth to show us the trade. Hence the location of the national glass centre.

Additionally, the fact that Benedict biscop travelled from wearmouth to Rome four times before dying in France on his fifth trip is an amazing fact in my opinion

Are their windows still about though?
If not then century. up here is the oldest :)
The stained glass referred to at St Peter's are fragments found in the 70's iirc, they are on display in the Glass Centre & the museum in the town, similar fragments were also found at Jarrow & they've recreated a round window with them. The ones at St Peter's pre date them. The windows at St Peter's arn't from the 7th century as is most of the church, only a small part is 7th century
Great shout mate. Earlier glass has been found but it was brought over by the Romans. Biscop brought glaziers from Gaul to wearmouth to show us the trade. Hence the location of the national glass centre.

Additionally, the fact that Benedict biscop travelled from wearmouth to Rome four times before dying in France on his fifth trip is an amazing fact in my opinion
That is quite a feat really.

Last edited:

Back