Lenticular Clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

2310 Return

Logon or register to see this image
Lenticular Clouds by Joe White, on Flickr

Recently changed job and moved to North Wales. I've never seen (in 54 years) this kind of cloud formation anywhere before. Stunningly beautiful - but really weird too! Wiki suggests that mountainous areas and very specific weather conditions - including eddy currents of air movement coming off the mountains are behind their creation. (The mountains in the background are Snowdonia.)

Thought to be behind claims for UFOs - its not too much of a stretch to see why. They stayed around for a long time before dissipating perhaps an hour later.

Anyone else come across these before?

Logon or register to see this image
Lenticular Clouds by Joe White, on Flickr

Recently changed job and moved to North Wales. I've never seen (in 54 years) this kind of cloud formation anywhere before. Stunningly beautiful - but really weird too! Wiki suggests that mountainous areas and very specific weather conditions - including eddy currents of air movement coming off the mountains are behind their creation. (The mountains in the background are Snowdonia.)

Thought to be behind claims for UFOs - its not too much of a stretch to see why. They stayed around for a long time before dissipating perhaps an hour later.

Anyone else come across these before?
Yesterday . You get plenty blowing off the dales if the wind is in the right direction. Seems to come off Coverdale .

Maybe about 5-10 times a year

I'd say you need hazy cloud in the valleys, then the wind at the right speed and direction and it spins them off

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday . You get plenty blowing off the dales if the wind is in the right direction. Seems to come off Coverdale .

Maybe about 5-10 times a year

I'd say you need hazy cloud in the valleys, then the wind at the right speed and direction and it spins them off

Yes - this was yesterday. I wondered with your work on Landscapes if you would have seen them. I didn't know they were that relatively frequent.

I suppose it helps now being in the right kind of place for them.

Cheers

Yes - this was yesterday. I wondered with your work on Landscapes if you would have seen them. I didn't know they were that relatively frequent.

I suppose it helps now being in the right kind of place for them.

Cheers
Usually the wind is quite strong , though it wasn't yesterday, so perhaps that's not essential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back