Lens Extender

mickb2112

Striker
I have a Canon 6D along with a 70-200mm Lens. I occasionally need something that can zoom closer. For the amount I`d use it I don`t think I could justify a 400mm + lens. Would an extender do a similar job? I understand there`d be a loss of speed and perhaps a tad less sharp but has anyone else used one of these rather than buy a lens with a longer zoom and can you recommend a decent one?

I've used the Canon 1.4x mk III and the 2x mk III. I found the 2x to be unusable in terms of imagine quality, with that you'll lose 2 stops. The 1.4x was better in terms of image quality, although it still did have noticable quality loss, but your lens will only get the equivilant of being 280mm but will only lose 1 stop.

Would picking up a cheaper second hand body with a crop sensor be viable?

I'd not recommend an extender (I have the 1.4x) image will be poorer, you will lose light and focusing will be slower. The reality is unless you need the whole frame in your end picture, you will get just as good an image by shooting with your current setup and cropping it afterwards.

@oROSSo 's suggestion is a bit left of field but it actually makes some sense. You have a good lens, you could pick up a decent crop sensor body (say 550D for £150 or so) which would effectively give you 1.6x magnification over what you have now and also mean you have a spare body if needed.

I never actually thought of that. I still have my old 60D crop sensor. I could use that. I really only want to use it if I`m stuck at the soundboard at the Arena or The Sage where my 200mm just doesn`t get close enough. I`ll give it a go at mu next gig. Cheers for the tip.

I never actually thought of that. I still have my old 60D crop sensor. I could use that. I really only want to use it if I`m stuck at the soundboard at the Arena or The Sage where my 200mm just doesn`t get close enough. I`ll give it a go at mu next gig. Cheers for the tip.
Isn't the 7D a crop sensor, worth a look?

I never think photos taken from the mixing desk or some equally distant doorway ( Royal Albert Hall) are much good no matter what lens i use!

Back