Len Ashurst. RIP

Grew up watching Len Ashurst, Cec Irwin, Johnny Crossan, George's Herd and Mulhall and the rest of the team in the sixties. Another one past and leaves fond memories of a good childhood.
God bless you Len RIP.
I may be wrong but have a memory of him scoring a screamer against Leeds in the Roker end. Only scored 4 goals I may be wrong. Len Ashurt gave 100%.

I've mentioned this before on here. He was playing at left back, when I first went to Roker Park 1960. A few years ago, I met him in Clay's Garden Centre in Washington, and gave him some advice on staking up a Leylandii. I never thought when I was a 10 year old kid watching him play, that I would be giving him gardening advice, some 53 years later! An absolute gentleman. RIP Len, and thanks for all those great match memories.

Going by SAFC website he had a really interesting and varied career and was a very nice person. Sounds like a good life. RIP
I met him at a wedding in Oxford: he knew the bride and he was very nice. Very patient and gentlemanly with me when I rabbited on about SAFC and he posed for a photo with me.

RIP Len - a quiet and unassuming man

Will remember him for that League Cup run - the backs to the wall match at White Hart Lane had his stamp on it. And for bringing Benno to Roker Park at a time when black players were first breaking into the game.

Achieved a lot for this club as player and manager in a quiet way - think there is a case for another statue alongside Bob?

Sad news
That 84/85 season when Len was in charge was the one where I went from a casual supporter of SAFC to a fully committed one. There are so many things from that season to lock back at with fondness
1. the unvieling of that classic “cowies” home strip
2. the stream of exciting pre season signings…..Gary Bennett, Howard Gayle, Mark Proctor, David Hodgson and Clive Walker….
3. The fanastic opening day 3-1 win over Southampton ( Shilton and all )
4. The even more fantastic 3-2 home win over superstars Man Utd
5. The unforgettable run to the Milk Cup final including that historic 2 leg SF v Chelsea
Though that season ended in bitter disappointment…it remains one of my favourite one of supporting the lads…it was the one that got me hooked
Len Ashurst was a main factor in that so
Thank you Len
R.I.P

Quality post.

RIP Len - a quiet and unassuming man

Will remember him for that League Cup run - the backs to the wall match at White Hart Lane had his stamp on it. And for bringing Benno to Roker Park at a time when black players were first breaking into the game.

Achieved a lot for this club as player and manager in a quiet way - think there is a case for another statue alongside Bob?

Its a nice thought but ultimately Len’s career at Sunderland as both player and manager wasnt successful enough to justify a statue imo…

The family and friends of former Sunderland player and manager Len Ashurst welcome supporters who would like to watch his funeral online at 2pm on Monday 11th October.

What a very thoughtful gesture by his close friends and family who must be missing Len hugely. To wish to include all of us fans at this particular time is very generous & kind of them.

It helps to reassure us that all of the support that we gave Len both as a player and as a manager meant as much to him as he certainly did to us.

Len Ashurst’s funeral will take place on Monday and Sunderland AFC supporters have been invited to pay tribute to the former Black Cats player and manager.

Born in Liverpool in 1939, Ashurst made 458 appearances for the Lads - more than any other outfield player in the club’s history - during a 13-year playing spell on Wearside.

Ashurst moved to Hartlepool United in 1970 and he began his managerial career with Pools shortly after, with tenures at Gillingham, Sheffield Wednesday, Newport County, Cardiff City preceding his return to Roker Park in 1984.

Len sadly passed away aged 82 on 25 September 2021.

Supporters will be able to pay tribute to the club legend by clicking here from 2pm on Monday 11 October.

On now

Last edited:
Just watching it now, not a wonderful internet reception, keeps sticking.
Have to say a superb tribute speech there from his long time friend Malcolm Bramley.

Fantastic words from Malcolm Bramley. Len was manager when I first started going to RP in 84/85. I never realised until now, how highly he was thought of. RIP Len

Back