Legal Bods

Should I push this further. I got into the car from our drive, private land, it doesn't need insuring. I drove it to the shop but should be insured to do so according to my policy, then drove it back to the drive, again private land. Which is where they took it from.....

Just tarmac a couple of more drives and pay the fine. Alternatively, find where the copper lives and tarmac his front room to teach him a lesson.

He was very reasonable really.

No mention in the exclusions section. I've already trawled it.
Mickonline says in op:

Now my insurance clearly states I can drive any other car with the owners permission and has
no stipulations that the car must be insured as well.

If it clearly states the above you should be ok?

++±+++

Pink ....Cars aren't insured it is drivers who are insured (surely?)

Should I push this further. I got into the car from our drive, private land, it doesn't need insuring. I drove it to the shop but should be insured to do so according to my policy, then drove it back to the drive, again private land. Which is where they took it from.....

He was very reasonable really.
Your Missus will get done for allowing you to drive an uninsured vehicle....

Mickonline says in op:

Now my insurance clearly states I can drive any other car with the owners permission and has
no stipulations that the car must be insured as well.

If it clearly states the above you should be ok?

++±+++

Pink ....Cars aren't insured it is drivers who are insured (surely?)

This is what I'm going to try. The car wasn't sorn so plod had the right to take it from the drive. But while i was driving my NOC kicked in and I was driving third party. Therefore, hopefully, i can't be prosecuted for driving a uninsured vehicle.

This is what I'm going to try. The car wasn't sorn so plod had the right to take it from the drive. But while i was driving my NOC kicked in and I was driving third party. Therefore, hopefully, i can't be prosecuted for driving a uninsured vehicle.
Please please come back and update us when you do.

Surely if the wife isn't insured for the car it'll come under an uninsured car on the road when the coppers checked regardless of whether your insurance allows you to drive another car 3rd party with your policy?
Maybe @duff_man man will know, he's a plod isn't he?

To drive any other vehicle on your policy there needs to be a policy already in place on the vehicle you intend to drive, that isn’t insurance terms and conditions it is the law. The vehicle will have been seized under section 165A of the road traffic act, it matters not that your car was on the drive as it had been seen being driven on a public road.
Most motoring offences are what are called absolute offences, if you are caught doing it you are bang to rights, as a driver it is your responsibility for things like insurance, roadworthiness etc.
If I were you I would take it up with the insurance company and explain the situation, if you are a renewing customer they might agree to honour the renewal retrospectively given the circumstances.

No they followed me home and took it from the drive.

Aviva
Well that’s a twats trick. If the story was exactly as you said and you’re a law abiding, honest bloke then I don’t know why they didn’t give you the benefit of the doubt.

I got caught by a dog copper in a similar situation once and the traffic car gets automatically summoned.

The dog copper was class and said he’d get rid of the traffic lad as they are all tossers and he’ll just want to take the car.

Let me put it on my drive and sort the insurance.

It looks like mine is blanket. No mention of spouse, no mention of a requirement to have it insured or taxed.

"We will insure the vehicle policyholder while driving any other car* within the territorial limitsproviding:

the car* does not belong to that person or is not hired to that person under a hire purchase agreement. the vehicle policyholder is driving the car* with the owner’s express consent.
the vehicle policyholder still has your vehicle and it has not been damaged beyond cost effective repair. the vehicle policyholder is aged 25 or above at inception or renewal of this policy.

the certificate of motor insurance indicates that the vehicle policyholder can drive such a car*. Driving other cars cover is not available for named drivers, firms or principal policyholders where they

are not also named as a main user of your vehicle (e.g. a vehicle policyholder).

Important Note: The cover provided whilst you are driving any other car* is for Third Party only."
Your covered mate. The police find it hard to understand.

Well that’s a twats trick. If the story was exactly as you said and you’re a law abiding, honest bloke then I don’t know why they didn’t give you the benefit of the doubt.

I got caught by a dog copper in a similar situation once and the traffic car gets automatically summoned.

The dog copper was class and said he’d get rid of the traffic lad as they are all tossers and he’ll just want to take the car.

Let me put it on my drive and sort the insurance.

Policy in northumbria used to be traffic only can issue the seizure notice, that was 7 and a bit years ago though so not sure if it has changed

Back