Leg day vs running

SAFC CLUD

Central Defender
Context: before initial first lockdown had a training plan where went to the gym 4/5 nights a week which included 1 pretty heavy leg day.

Along comes lockdown get into running couldnt run 3k at first was running few nights a week 3/4 days when gyms reopened the first time then stopped the running. Restarted when gyms shutdown for most recent lockdown and running improved drastically to the point I dont want to lose the progress and want to train 4 nights and run as much as possible.

However training legs for first time in months last week and could barely run for days, is this likely to improve over time or do I have to choose between one or the other?

Context: before initial first lockdown had a training plan where went to the gym 4/5 nights a week which included 1 pretty heavy leg day.

Along comes lockdown get into running couldnt run 3k at first was running few nights a week 3/4 days when gyms reopened the first time then stopped the running. Restarted when gyms shutdown for most recent lockdown and running improved drastically to the point I dont want to lose the progress and want to train 4 nights and run as much as possible.

However training legs for first time in months last week and could barely run for days, is this likely to improve over time or do I have to choose between one or the other?
What is your goal when training legs & what are your goals in running?

What is your goal when training legs & what are your goals in running?
Honestly not sure, just want continuous improvement/results and would like to be able to do both but cant endure the distance running atm but hoping that will come after time. I’m more focused on just keeping the habit of making sure I’m sticking to a consistent routine as the results/improvement come as a result

Honestly not sure, just want continuous improvement/results and would like to be able to do both but cant endure the distance running atm but hoping that will come after time. I’m more focused on just keeping the habit of making sure I’m sticking to a consistent routine as the results/improvement come as a result
It's really difficult to advise when a goal or objective is so broad as continuous improvement, it would help having a specific goal in each. But, if you're at a modest base now then I would think what you're doing will meet "continuous improvement" for a while until you decide specifically what you want to do...that realization will probably happen naturally.

Maybe a 5k /10k time, or a specific distance for your long run...a combination of both...loads of stuff to think about.

Last edited:
It's really difficult to advise when a goal or objective is so broad as continuous improvement, it would help having a specific goal in each. But, if you're at a modest base now then I would think what you're doing will meet "continuous improvement" for a while until you decide specifically what you want to do...that realization will probably happen naturally.

Maybe a 5k /10k time, or a specific distance for your long run...a combination of both...loads of stuff to think about.
Aye cheers mate not really sure what answer i was looking for tbh, will just need to be patient time will tell

I need to find some advice about leg day. I’m finding that I’m struggling with squats (the lasses have more weight on than me) due to my back and knees. Deadlifts are out of the question so I’m not getting much in the way of glutes. Can do leg press.

Running wise I’d be starting from scratch which is a shame seeing as I was proud as owt doing the Sunderland half marathon in 1.40.

You have to actually define what continuous improvement is.

What is the more important priority, running or weight lifting?

If running is more important, set a goal of what you want to achieve e.g being able to run a 6 minute mile, and when you've accomplished that set a goal to run a 5:30 minute mile. To have continuous improvement you have to have a clear standard to begin with and which you can then surpass.

The weightlifting can then be supplemental and built around your goals, e.g doing some leg exercises a few times a week such as deadlifts and leg curls to strengthen hamstrings, quads, hip flexors a few times a week. Starting with weights you can do 8-12 times and then increasing the reps and weights with each workout but not to the point you hinder recovery. That is continuous improvement.

If weightlifting is the goal, do the same and set a weight you want to lift as your goal e.g squatting 200kg for 8 and then build a programming to continuously work towards it. If running is still really important to you, then do it occasionally and moderately, such as on days you aren’t weightlifting, but not to the point it hinders recovery etc.
I need to find some advice about leg day. I’m finding that I’m struggling with squats (the lasses have more weight on than me) due to my back and knees. Deadlifts are out of the question so I’m not getting much in the way of glutes. Can do leg press.

Running wise I’d be starting from scratch which is a shame seeing as I was proud as owt doing the Sunderland half marathon in 1.40.
If you can’t do them without hurting or injuring yourself, don’t do them. Build your leg workout around what you can do: the leg press. Add in supplemental movements and focus on progress overload, or as the OP put it, continuous improvement in the form of increasing reps and weight.

It’s definitely achievable to have both but this chap had defined objectives. I’ve been doing CrossFit for 7 years and lots of workouts will combine running and other leg work such as squats/oly lifts/lunges.
Having defined objectives is the key.

I don’t have a problem with CrossFit per se, it just seems that a lot of people doing it don’t seem to have clearly defined goals and as such the workouts lack a real utility which stems from them not being focussed on accomplishing a particular, clear and specific goal in the way a good bodybuilding, powerlifting or Olympic Weightlifting program would.

CrossFit seems like a lot of the time it’s basically just doing a lot of shit that looks pretty cool and impressive on the surface while being really lacking in the progressive overload sense which leads to sustained physical improvements over time. If people are programming it properly, though, then all power to them.

Last edited:

If running is more important, set a goal of what you want to achieve e.g being able to run a 6 minute mile, and when you've accomplished that set a goal to run a 5:30 minute mile. To have continuous improvement you have to have a clear standard to begin with and which you can then surpass.

The weightlifting can then be supplemental and built around your goals, e.g doing some leg exercises a few times a week such as deadlifts and leg curls to strengthen hamstrings, quads, hip flexors a few times a week. Starting with weights you can do 8-12 times and then increasing the reps and weights with each workout but not to the point you hinder recovery. That is continuous improvement.

If weightlifting is the goal, do the same and set a weight you want to lift as your goal e.g squatting 200kg for 8 and then build a programming to continuously work towards it. If running is still really important to you, then do it occasionally and moderately, such as on days you aren’t weightlifting, but not to the point it hinders recovery etc.

If you can’t do them without hurting or injuring yourself, don’t do them. Build your leg workout around what you can do: the leg press. Add in supplemental movements and focus on progress overload, or as the OP put it, continuous improvement in the form of increasing reps and weight.

I don’t have a problem with CrossFit per se, it just seems that a lot of people doing it don’t seem to have clearly defined goals and as such the workouts lack a real utility which stems from them not being focussed on accomplishing a particular, clear and specific goal in the way a good bodybuilding, powerlifting or Olympic Weightlifting program would.

CrossFit seems like a lot of the time it’s basically just doing a lot of shit that looks pretty cool and impressive on the surface while being really lacking in the progressive overload sense which leads to sustained physical improvements over time. If people are programming it properly, though, then all power to them.

I agree tbf, I think if everything is constantly varied you don’t get enough exposure to continually improve. I have run specific strength programmes like 5/3/1 in the past and at present I’m doing an endurance programme both of these I’ve run alongside CrossFit training to improve.

Absolutely class marra, thanks for this, very eye opening

Just at a basic level, if you continue to do both then yes you will eventually adapt and find running after a heavy leg day easier.

Wonder if you could do something lower impact immediately after a heavy leg day in terms of cardio though. Have you got access to a swimming pool for example?

After legs I do low to medium intensity treadmill.
Set tread at 2% do 3 minute warm up then off and do 10x 60kg rdl .
Then 4% 6 8 10 12 15 with the 10 rdl at 2 minute interval.
Then back down from 15%
Around 150 rdl and a great workout

Frustrating, averaging 2 (3.5k and 5k) runs a week rather than 4 x at 5k. due to training in the gym. 1st run 2-3 days after training legs 3.5k and day before legs managing a 5k. Previous was doing sub 25mins now cant even do the 3.5k within 5.2mins per km. Lower back in bits after run just then from RDL

Its not running, but I love mountain biking, so it's the same sort of thing.
I also like being fairly muscular.
Really, the two things don't go hand in hand.
I'm aware of this but I enjoy both so do both, but if every now and again I go on little biking holidays (hopefully later this year) so would stop doing legs about a month before i go and concentrate more on mobility.
I do all over body workouts, which suits my lifestyle more than a leg day.
So atm I either do 4-6 sets of dead lifts and maybe a set of goodmornings in one workout and 4-6 sets of squats in another workout. That's it for my legs.
If I'm going to do a pretty long bike ride I won't do either the day before.
I try and do 3 workouts a week, but often it's 2, and by doing an all over body workout at least I'm being consistent with doing resistance training for each body part, Inc my legs, and even if I do mess up and do a workout with squats or DLs in the day before I bike, it doesn't impact as negatively as if I'd done a full leg workout.

I know there are people who can do loads of weights and run/bike long distance and still look jacked, cross fitters who can lift loads and run loads , but these will be genetically gifted people, which most of us aren't.
As has been said, you really need to look at your goals, as if its to get a muscular physique, then running is going to effect this detrimentally, and if its to run long distances then doing weight training will effect this negatively.
If you just want to be relatively fit and also a bit stronger and want to run and weight train, I really recommend 2 or 3 all over body workouts a week , and running/light stretching on the days inbetween.

Last edited:
I do mountain biking and only the occasional leg day because my knees are not in great shape.

Disco muscles are what’s important anyway

Back