Left Handed Handshake

There's no pressure to complete IMO.

If someone offers you their left hand, simply extend your right hand to them.

That is just bad manners, provided , of course, that the right hand is either missing or obviously damaged. If this is the case, I would then extend my left hand to avoid awkward manoeuvres.
I also don’t like if, being introduced to a seated man, they remain seated to shake hands. Again, bad manners. Ladies can remain seated. I am very old school on this, you can only make a first impression once.

It’s a power thing, designed to make the shakee feel awkward and the shaker feel superior. Reckon I should be a psychologist me like.

The right handed handshake was a confirmation that your your weapon hand was empty.
See, i always thought Boy Scouts shook left handed because you have to put your shield down, rather than your weapon.

Various sources have attributed the origin of the handshake, as an ancient sign of bravery and respect, to Lord Baden-Powell's encounter after battle with Prempeh I, or to earlier published works by Ernest Thompson Seton. There exist various versions of the Prempeh story, all centering on African warriors using the left hand to hold their shields and to lower it and shake the left hand of the person was to show they trusted each other.

According to the Ashanti warrior version of the story, then-Colonel Baden-Powell saluted them with his right hand, but the Ashanti chiefs offered their left hands and said, "In our land only the bravest of the brave shake hands with the left hand, because to do so we must drop our shields and our protection." The Ashantis knew of Baden-Powell's bravery because they had fought against him and with him, and they were proud to offer the left hand of bravery.

Back