Leeds Trinity University Afraid of Capital Letters

It is hilarious though.
If I received a professional email where the sender had written in capitals, my initial reaction would be what a f***ing moron.

So perhaps not passing the trait onto the kids studying there, isn't the worse thing in the world.

The idea came from a recent academic research project by the look of things, where an aggressive tone of writing doesn't help people, or that's the conclusion of the research anyways.

As I've previously said Academics are Academics, they work in their own mysterious ways.

Username is snowflake friendly though ;)
But that post wasn't

Logon or register to see this image

If I received a professional email where the sender had written in capitals, my initial reaction would be what a f***ing moron.

So perhaps not passing the trait onto the kids studying there, isn't the worse thing in the world.

The idea came from a recent academic research project by the look of things, where an aggressive tone of writing doesn't help people, or that's the conclusion of the research anyways.

As I've previously said Academics are Academics, they work in their own mysterious ways.
They do, but usually capital letters are used for emphasis. Not that it matters, the point is it's hilarious he thought of PEOPLE being UPSET by this sort of thing.

Last edited:
They aren't though are they.

Their course leader read an academic research article where the conclusion was writing in capitals doesn't help students learn, so he passed it on his department.
He passed it on in the form of a memo saying we should adopt this for our snowflakes. It's hilarious :lol:

Oh.. don't be like that. What are your thoughts on the matter? Are you for a reduction in the use of capital letters in case it raises anxiety?
I would debate with you, but you lose any credibility when you go and use terms like 'Snowflake'

It's lazy and to be honest, really f***ing boring.

In regards to the anxiety bit, if there is research that altering the way text is written can positively help students learn, I have no issue with it.

I don't really understand why you would, perhaps popping over the anxiety and depression thread and seeing how the smallest of things can cause it to come on, so yeah it may seem daft to you, but if it can help people, then why not?

I would debate with you, but you lose any credibility when you go and use terms like 'Snowflake'

It's lazy and to be honest, really f***ing boring.

In regards to the anxiety bit, if there is research that altering the way text is written can positively help students learn, I have no issue with it.

I don't really understand why you would, perhaps popping over the anxiety and depression thread and seeing how the smallest of things can cause it to come on, so yeah it may seem daft to you, but if it can help people, then why not?
I tend to find the people who claim others lose credibility for using a term knows deep down the term applies to them and it hurts their feelings.

The idea of structuring the quality of debate around the point of whether certain terms can be used infers a lot more on the person declaring said terms than the people who use them... And that is a sad state of affairs.

Alas I would say the world cannot be bubble wrapped for your convenience and anxiety issues among many others are something we have to learn to deal with. Ask any clinical psycologist and they will tell you the only definitive way to overcome anxieties of anything are to voluntarily put yourself into those situations in which you can adapt to dealing with them. To want for the world around you to change and accommodate is wishful, damaging to you and others, will lead to further anxieties and ultimately fails.

In my experience of mediations, one person can send an email in a minute and another can read it for months if it is received in a certain manner.

Some academic was obviously trying to help, and one or two colleagues with an agenda have made him or her look stupid. It’s got very little to do with being PC or not, unless we all want to shout at people.

Back