Lee Burge

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

In the last 5 games or so he's palmed one in his own goal, put a Wimbledon (?) player in on goal from a kick and nearly picked the ball up outside the box.

He's infinitely better than Matthews mind.
That's not a negative though. He did well to reposition himself to be inside the box, was good goalkeeping. His kicking was rancid last match though. He's still more than capable for our level, we were just spoiled by Mclaughlin.

EDIT: Tried to bold the "nearly picked the ball up outside the box." Can't really tell on dark mode, but yeah I was just referring to that.

Last edited:
That's not a negative though. He did well to reposition himself to be inside the box, was good goalkeeping. His kicking was rancid last match though. He's still more than capable for our level, we were just spoiled by Mclaughlin.

EDIT: Tried to bold the "nearly picked the ball up outside the box." Can't really tell on dark mode, but yeah I was just referring to that.

He misjudged it and ran too far out and got away with one imo.

He's ok. I'm not saying we need to rush out and sign someone else.

I think I now have to eat humble pie about Lee Burge... I had him down as mid table league one keeper but I was plainly wrong.... I think he's a half decent keeper, yes he made mistakes against Hull and Bristol Rovers but apart from that I can't remember any goals he was clearly at fault for. He turned the game against Gillingham away and has the best clean sheet record in the league (minimum 10 games). I still don't trust his replacement Matthews but in Burge and the defense we have a really strong unit...he had very little to do tonight but done it well.

I don't think you're 'plainly wrong' he's a half decent keeper, in league one.

When keepers make mistakes, it inevitably leads to a goal. He's doing ok and seems an above average league 1 keeper.

My main thing with him at the start of the season was parrying balls in front of him into the danger area. He seems to have remembered that he's supposed to parry them wide, out of the goalmouth.

Still nowhere near as good as Mclaughlin mind.

He's got better the more he's played and he's still relatively young for a goalkeeper, so there's still time for him to improve. You would suspect he's someone who can grow with this club over the next two to three years.

He's got better the more he's played and he's still relatively young for a goalkeeper, so there's still time for him to improve. You would suspect he's someone who can grow with this club over the next two to three years.
I would expect him to leave in the summer and hopefully be replaced by better or sign a new contract for a year and be mostly on the bench.

He makes the odd decent save but he’s still a poor keeper. Thankfully he never really seems to have much to do.

His mistakes are absolute howlers which why is gets more heavily criticised than he should, pulled of a blinding save last night when many peoples man of the match (Power) passed the ball 20 yards to an Ipswich player who set up the chance.
I will concede his distribution & kicking is ropey, but he's getting more stick than he deserves as a 3rd tier keeper

His mistakes are absolute howlers which why is gets more heavily criticised than he should, pulled of a blinding save last night when many peoples man of the match (Power) passed the ball 20 yards to an Ipswich player who set up the chance.
I will concede his distribution & kicking is ropey, but he's getting more stick than he deserves as a 3rd tier keeper

Couldn’t have been more routine and he nearly pushed into the path of one of their players

He is a decent keeper most of the time but absolutely has a howler in him. I'm sure a cov supporter on here said a similar thing. Hes better than Matthews and Patterson is still in development really.
Flanagan (when playing) is exactly the same. Ok for large periods but just seems to have a huge 'reboot' moment once every game with a clanger which always provides a goal scoring opportunity to the opposition.

And a 50 pence shaped head

Confidence... Bit like what we are seeing with Wyke at the other end. Wyke will get better with more service and Burge will get better when the back line is settled.

Back