Lee Barry Cattermole

roy keane

there will be others.
Niall Quinn and he didn't last long.
But, on a more serious note, Keane was from a top Premiership side who had the best manager in history to learn from. Are there any other full time managers in your lifetime who has done that at Sunderland?
Well he has no experience but that doesn't mean he won't be a good coach. Nee fucker knows if he'll make a good manager or not. It's silly to write him, or any player, going into management off.

Not saying he should get it or backing him but I wouldn't be against giving a novice manager a go.
I'm not writing him off at all. I'm saying the majority of players learn their trade in a series of graduated steps and appointments rather than walking into a job at a big club. Even the greats like Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly did that. Very experienced managers have come our way over the years and have found it difficult for a variety of reasons. Personally, I couldn't see Cattermole being successful at all at Sunderland as his first managerial attempt.

Last edited:
But, on a more serious note, Keane was from a top Premiership side who had the best manager in history to learn from. Are there any other full time managers in your lifetime who has done that at Sunderland?

He came from Celtic and i havent heard him say a good wood about Fergie.

I'm not writing him off at all. I'm saying the majority of players learn their trade in a series of graduated steps and appointments rather than walking into a job at a big club. Even the greats like Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly did that. Very experienced managers have come our way over the years and have found it difficult for a variety of reasons. Personally, I couldn't see Cattermole being successful at all at Sunderland as his first managerial attempt.
🤔🤔🤔

Replacing him wouldn't have been easy, our captain, Tom Naylor, says he had a done deal to sign for SAFC before SD came in, but it was withdrawn at the lastmin because SD thought his wage demands were too high so you got McGeouch instead. There's like one or two defensive midfielders in League One who are as good as Cattermole defensively,and none that are as good technically or going forward (I know that sounds like a pisstake, but at this level its true)

Aye Chris Coleman had agreed the deal. Think Donald pulled out and then tried to get him again offering less money than previously offered.
A good player ?
Remind me of his stand out games in 10 years
He wasn’t a good player , instrumental in our fall from the premier to league one

Not at all. He helped keep us up under big Sam playing fantastically and had injury problems from pre season under Moyes, had issues with his back etc however played when we needed him to because we were so desperate to get him on the pitch for his qualities. Not his fault at all that we went down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over paid- yes . Injured quite a bit - yes . But to be fair ran through brick walls for the club, always wanted the ball and never hid. Great servant to the club and we didn’t pay a huge fee for him. Whenever he got dropped rolled his sleeves up and got back in the team. Had some bad games like anyone but in the big games the derbies, great escape, cup final/ cup run , Portsmouth away play off he was excellent.He was also a very good player in league one. One of our few players in recent times i have no issues with. People blame him and o’ shea for the club struggling when in fact we needed more players like them.

Correct. And it's hardly his fault he's been overpaid and given a ridiculously long contract extension. He is a limited footballer, like all of our squad has been these last few years but, if you forget about the money he's on and compare his ability/commitment with the rest of the squad, he's never been our biggest problem.

Back